Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Free agent!
UA221 F ORD - PDX 10 March

The choices were between chicken and lasagna and I went with the lasagna. Seatmate did too, so I didn't have a chance to even see how the chicken was prepared.

Salad. The caesar dressing was not very good and also needed to be forced out of its container

Vegetarian lasagna. It seems more like large ravioli to me. Could've used more veg, but it was decent.

Fruit cup.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
March FLL-EWR Morning Flight

Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
03/05/12 UA421 SFO-HNL Lunch

-Warm mixed cashews

-Mini shrimp appetizer

-Side salad

-Choice of steak entree or a pasta dish

-Ice cream sundae

-Pre-arrival snack basket

http://i42.tinypic.com/j5ursk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/wcjlz9.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/19rokz.jpg
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by demkr
-Warm mixed cashews

-Mini shrimp appetizer

-Side salad

-Choice of steak entree or a pasta dish

-Ice cream sundae

-Pre-arrival snack basket

http://i42.tinypic.com/j5ursk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/wcjlz9.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/19rokz.jpg
So no more Trader Vic's? That is a disappointment... Was that a Mai Tai you had?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
it appears that on PS flights and EWR-west coast flights one can order speical meals. So since you do not eat chicken can one assume you are a lacto-ovo-vegetarian or pescatarian vegetarian ?
Indeed - lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

The late night P.S flight from JFK is coded as "snack" but the 1K desk accepted my special meal request so I am curious to see what turns up. Also, there have been reports that the flight actually has full dinner service even though it coded as having only "snack" service - will get to know soon enough!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
IAD-AUS: 7:44 pm

IAD-AUS 3/1/12 7:44 PM flight 997 on an A319 (usually a CRJ-700).

Received the cold pasta snack with the grilled chicken. I was really wondering whether we were getting a snack box or the pasta salad, and was very happy with the pasta salad.

Had a pre departure drink and all around the best service I have had all year. Sent a note of thanks to 1K Voice (whether or not they read it is to be seen).
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
On PS flights, and EWR-LAX/SFO flights one can order speical meals now, even snack flights. UA use to serve some great Indian Veggie meals...

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Indeed - lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

The late night P.S flight from JFK is coded as "snack" but the 1K desk accepted my special meal request so I am curious to see what turns up. Also, there have been reports that the flight actually has full dinner service even though it coded as having only "snack" service - will get to know soon enough!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
MCO-IAD First Class Service

Hello! I read that on all UA flights over 700 miles meals will be served within traditional meal windows. Seems like no MCO-IAD flights show to have meals. They all say Refreshments and this includes the flights within meal windows. Does anyone have any experience as to what the service is on these flights?

Thank You!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:12 pm

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
IAD Depatures, First Class Lunch Tip, Avoid the Beef and Thai Noodles

Hi Everyone:

Just flew today on 223 from IAD to SFO. There is a horrific excuse for a meal option that the flight attendants describe as "Beef and Thai Noodles." Trust me, it is horrible. The noodles come out burnt to a crisp and bunched up in a ball. I actually have pictures for those with not so faint stomachs. Whatever other option is available, take it. My high school cafeteria lunches were better than this ... on burrito Friday. I think the entire first class cabin that ordered this option sent it back. Yes, it was that disgusting.

Flyer beware,

Tom
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:14 pm

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Sorry to the mods if I posted this in the wrong section. I couldn't find the airline meal board. Feel free to move if necessary.

Tom
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
03/15/12 UA427 MIA-IAD Breakfast

Bizarre (but mostly positive) catering on this flight.

"Would you like breakfast today?" was asked from back to front. Now, I could foresee there being slightly more limited coming from UA's outstation otherwise known as South Florida

But I was pleasantly surprised to get something more substantial than I thought I would.

I have had the abysmal croissant sandwich/egg mcmuffin thingy on ORD-MIA, for example, before (a 1,197 mile flight)--it came with yogurt and a croissant/cinnamon roll as well as a fruit bowl. It was decent but the entree was lacking in presentation and style.

We got "Smart Balance" instead of real butter. lol. Oook!

So, naturally, I expected the same thing on this flight (~920 miles).

Instead, despite there being no choice for breakfast, we got a little bit of everything:

-The traditional new "entree" with the hockey puck egg, potato square, and sausage. The only difference was this didn't come with a tomato. AFAIK, this is the current hot breakfast entree on flights over 1500 miles. So although its still small, it's a lot better than an egg mcmuffin^

We didn't get any yogurt or fruit bowl, but instead got corn flakes with milk and a banana. Croissants were also served (no cinnamon rolls).

In all honesty, although the yogurt and fruit bowl are nice touches, this particular breakfast was actually filling and very substantial.

After the service, I asked the FA what was up with the catering. He said it was even weirder than I thought. On the A320, they catered 11 of these meals, and 1 meal was the traditional sandwich (but with the other items too).

If anyone at United reads these boards, please serve this type of breakfast instead of the egg mcmuffins.

Suffice it to say, this was possibly a catering error, but it was well received among the pax ^

http://i41.tinypic.com/2h4dy50.jpg

Last edited by demkr; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:51 pm

03/15/12 UA223 IAD-SFO Lunch

Was on the same flight as hopegrad this afternoon--in paid F.

I didn't dislike the food, but the way it was prepared was unacceptable. The noodles were clumped together and very dry. I think I was about the only pax who dug in (it was difficult) and ate some of them.

To start

Almonds only . Seriously, what's up with the cashews only/almonds only/mixed nuts? it seems different every flight.

Appetizer of shrimp cocktail sauce with a side of (two) tiny shrimps and a huge lemon slice in a small bowl.

Herb roll

Choice of pasta with zucchini or beef fillet and noodles.

Ice cream sundae for dessert was served in the old bowls, not the sundae glasses. (I liked the old PS sundae with the real whipped cream better).

FAs were given plastic teaspoons to pour the toppings on. Seriously? Dear management: This makes their job harder. Please show some consideration in the future.

This flight was supposed to have a snack basket, but alas, it did not.

All in all, most of the food was edible, but the appetizer is so tiny that its laughable. AAs midcon (let alone transcon) shrimp appetizer is literally 3x the size, both in the individual shrimp and the portion. Not to mention presentation.

Obviously, the noodles thing upset a lot of pax. UA has some work to do with catering. It seems to be something out of the ordinary each flight (see my post above on my 1st leg).

http://oi42.tinypic.com/jfesur.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2zexs3c.jpg
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Appetizer of shrimp cocktail sauce with a side of (two) tiny shrimps and a huge lemon slice in a small bowl.
... the appetizer is so tiny that its laughable. AAs midcon (let alone transcon) shrimp appetizer is literally 3x the size, both in the individual shrimp and the portion. Not to mention presentation.
Missing us yet?

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Missing us yet?

Why yes, sir. Yes, I am. How could you tell? L Thanks for the example!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Tonight's IAD-LAX 967 had the beef as the only option, with only almonds beforehand. The crew was staffed two less than usual, and pretty much everyone around me in J was pretty pissed about the horrible meal/service (granted, a lot of it out of the hands of the crew).

The beef was okay, but that noodle thing- wow.

I didn't dislike the food, but the way it was prepared was unacceptable. The noodles were clumped together and very dry. I think I was about the only pax who dug in (it was difficult) and ate some of them.

To start

Almonds only . Seriously, what's up with the cashews only/almonds only/mixed nuts? it seems different every flight.

Herb roll

Choice of pasta with zucchini or beef fillet and noodles.

Ice cream sundae for dessert was served in the old bowls, not the sundae glasses. (I liked the old PS sundae with the real whipped cream better).

FAs were given plastic teaspoons to pour the toppings on. Seriously? Dear management: This makes their job harder. Please show some consideration in the future.

This flight was supposed to have a snack basket, but alas, it did not.

All in all, most of the food was edible, but the appetizer is so tiny that its laughable. AAs midcon (let alone transcon) shrimp appetizer is literally 3x the size, both in the individual shrimp and the portion. Not to mention presentation.

Obviously, the noodles thing upset a lot of pax. UA has some work to do with catering. It seems to be something out of the ordinary each flight (see my post above on my 1st leg).

http://oi42.tinypic.com/jfesur.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2zexs3c.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.