Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I responded to you first post regarding your question....

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Thanks but your link provides no information whatsoever to my question.

SEA-ORD at 11:30am gets lunch. SEA-ORD at 1:15pm gets a "snack". Both are the *same* distance.

That page you sent me says nothing about what is considered a meal time on UA. I asked the question earlier in this thread and no one replied.

-RM
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Delta rasises the bar on Transcon flight

With UA about to roll out its new PS service, I found this on the AA forum, the person who reported this flys both DL and AA. It appears that DL has raised the bar as far as food goes...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ne-10-yrs.html
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
With UA about to roll out its new PS service, I found this on the AA forum, the person who reported this flys both DL and AA. It appears that DL has raised the bar as far as food goes...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ne-10-yrs.html
Posted up-thread, Post #88.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Reduced Meal Service - A Change I Do Not Like

I fly Florida-Newark-Florida for the most part. It was always nice to have the two hot main course options for dinner; however, lunch and dinner will now be the same on these routes and there will be a choice between a salad or hot sandwich.

PS-Just flew on a FLL-EWR flight; no more egg plates. Now you just get the sandwich that resembles something I could pick up at McDonald's...the one they serve on the Florida-Houston routes.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And it looks like westbound ORD-SFO at1pm and 2pm, which used to be lunch+dinner respectfully- are now snack flights. Ugh. Its a 4 hour30 min flight
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And it looks like westbound ORD-SFO at1pm and 2pm, which used to be lunch+dinner respectfully- are now snack flights. Ugh. Its a 4 hour30 min flight

That's the problem with these changes. They tout the positives (e.g., sundaes), but then we have to compile data points to figure out what the cuts were.

So far it looks like the breakfast has been cut on shorter flights (e.g., egg mcmuffin vs. full egg plate on 1,000-ish mile flights); and lunches are no longer lunches on long flights that depart between meal hours (e.g., ORD-SFO 2pm).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by channa
That's the problem with these changes. They tout the positives (e.g., sundaes), but then we have to compile data points to figure out what the cuts were.

So far it looks like the breakfast has been cut on shorter flights (e.g., egg mcmuffin vs. full egg plate on 1,000-ish mile flights); and lunches are no longer lunches on long flights that depart between meal hours (e.g., ORD-SFO 2pm).
100% agreed. In the past UA published what were "traditional meal times" -- now the page is completley ambiguous. Even worse than having a published policy that was a devaluation, by not publishing it, UACO has free reign to further devalue it.

I'm additionally upset about the breakfast change. Seriously, how much money can they be saving with this? It really seems like this was a specific decision to enhance transcon catering at the expense of all the shorter flights. The fact that they've made cuts to SFO<->ORD is pretty crazy too. This is almost a transcon in a market with lots of competition.

I imagine these are "changes I will like" when I burn one of my reduced numbers of CR1 or pay for a TOD upgrade on a transcon (good luck on an UDU after March 3), but when I am bouncing through DEN or IAH on the way to a regional airport in the middle of the country, it's going to be a major
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

Another example is MIA-ORD-SFO leg turned from lunch and dinner to snack/snack. No time to eat in between- might as well sit in Y so I can be fed with more substantial BOB options.

Also interested in hearing about a few posts up discussing short haul lunches and dinners the same?

What is the need to buy F when you are fed toddler size "snacks" on flights of near transcon length?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:18 am

Just checked FLL-EWR specifically. A 4 pm flight gets a snack plate. 4 pm!

Ewr-mia gets a "light meal featuring a salad or sandwich"- so lunch and dinners on flight of this length will now be lunches.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Are these new lunch vs. snack designations on ual.com or co.com yet? I have a flight from PDX-ORD next month in the snack window but it still shows "lunch" on both websites.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
DCA-IAH has been downgraded for breakfast as well, and thats 1200 miles!

First: Breakfast with a choice of cereal or a warm breakfast sandwich

The 5pm DCA-IAH dinner flight is also now a 'lunch flight:

First: Light meal with choice of hot sandwich or salad main course option

Edit: So it looks like ~1500 miles is the cutoff. From 700-1500 miles the downgrades are as follows:

1. Reduced breakfast service (sandwitch vs eggs)
2. Reduced dinner service (hot sandwitch or cold salad)
3. Narrower 'meal' windows. (Though that seems to affect all flights)

Last edited by smashr; Feb 3, 2012 at 10:07 am
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are these new lunch vs. snack designations on ual.com or co.com yet?

No, but continental.com and united.com has been updated with the meal windows and descriptions.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51501,00.html

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ss/dining.aspx
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
BOS - SFO/LAX = Transcon?

Anyone know if BOS to West Coast (SFO/LAX) will be considered transcon flights or will they fall in the 1500mi+ group?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:22 am

Thanks smashr. More changes we like .,. Service culture! <sarc>
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by goldelite8
I fly Florida-Newark-Florida for the most part. It was always nice to have the two hot main course options for dinner; however, lunch and dinner will now be the same on these routes and there will be a choice between a salad or hot sandwich.

PS-Just flew on a FLL-EWR flight; no more egg plates. Now you just get the sandwich that resembles something I could pick up at McDonald's...the one they serve on the Florida-Houston routes.
Thats too bad -- it's a low yield market but liked how they had kept it up for the EWR connections.

Write in and tell them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.