Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Thanks WineCountryUA. So as a plat, my companion gets my current status till end of Jan or gold status?....
They will have the same status as you. If your status changes, their status will change.

Once you designate them as your MM companion that will continue until you nominate a new individual. You do not need to annually re-nominate. Once you nominate a replacement individual if before 30 Nov, the prior individual will retain status until the end of the following January.
SPN Lifer, CApreppie and 8MiHi like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 29, 2023 at 10:47 pm Reason: You do not need to annually re-nominate
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They will have the same status as you. If your status changes, their status will change.

Once you designate them as your MM companion that will continue until you nominate a new individual. You do not need to annually re-nominate. Once you nominate a new individual if before 30 Nov, the prior individual will retain until the end of the following January.
Thank you. So if I interpret right. If you nominated a new person by Nov. 30th, their status changes on Jan. 1 and the previous person ends Jan. 30th. So for January, the two people have status.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
.... If you nominated a new person by Nov. 30th, their status changes on Jan. 1 and the previous person ends Jan. 30th. So for January, the two people have status.
That has been the reported behavior..
SPN Lifer and CApreppie like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
That has been the reported behavior..
Absolutely. I tend to change it up between wife and kids every year for that reason.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:26 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by drewguy
Is there a specific date in November? (I deal too often with things like deadlines for changing health insurance and so forth . . .)

And thanks!
Yes according to the UA website, changes must be submitted by Nov 30.
drewguy and 8MiHi like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
First time doing this - once I see the "Companion Confirmation" page, does that mean I've made it past the address check/other verifications? There shouldn't be any issue that arises between now and 1/1/24 when it goes live? Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by bomberman92
First time doing this - once I see the "Companion Confirmation" page, does that mean I've made it past the address check/other verifications? There shouldn't be any issue that arises between now and 1/1/24 when it goes live? Thanks!
First time it goes live immediately, only on a change does it wait for the new year. So, looking at your companion status now should confirm the assignment.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
First time it goes live immediately, only on a change does it wait for the new year. So, looking at your companion status now should confirm the assignment.
Apologies, first time changing the companion**

So once I see the "Companion Confirmation" page, does that mean I've made it past the address check/other verifications and should have no issues come Jan 1st?
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bomberman92
Apologies, first time changing the companion**

So once I see the "Companion Confirmation" page, does that mean I've made it past the address check/other verifications and should have no issues come Jan 1st?
If this is your 1st companion, the effect is immediate (or w/i a day or two), not 1/1/24.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nominated a new companion in late November. As of today their status has changed to Platinum, despite me re-qualifying for 1K about a week ago and my status correctly showing as 1K (expiry 01/2025). I'm guessing it might be because at the the time I nominated I hadn't requalified for 1K (but had made platinum) and that it'll correctly itself in the next few days.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by docbert
Nominated a new companion in late November. As of today their status has changed to Platinum, despite me re-qualifying for 1K about a week ago and my status correctly showing as 1K (expiry 01/2025). I'm guessing it might be because at the the time I nominated I hadn't requalified for 1K (but had made platinum) and that it'll correctly itself in the next few days.
Sounds like a glitch as my companion changed status last at midnight...
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by docbert
Yes. These are normally processed in the first week of January after UA dust has settled and everybody has their proper status (save for maybe some GS who haven't been invited yet). Then the computer goes through and properly updates all companions.

-RM
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by eightblack
Sounds like a glitch as my companion changed status last at midnight...
Happy New Year ! eightblack I’m longing for one of your trip reports. Or funny narratives at least . Hopefully you will post something in 2024. All the best. Glad to hear the status change was successful

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jan 1, 2024 at 4:02 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Million Companion benefits

I’m a 2MM and did not get invited back to Global services (56k PQP, 84 segments). As such, I was dropped to 1K status. My wife and daughter are 1MM so we have a daisy chain of statuses from me.

2 questions;
1. Was offered a Globsllll services challenge of $18k which I will complete this week. Once I am granted GS, will my companion automatically have a status change even though it’s happening a bit late

2. Mileage plus lists that “Companions of Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members are not eligible for PlusPoints.” Does this apply to companions of GS? I wasn’t sure if it’s just the language of the T&CTtuyyy

Last edited by sfonorth; Feb 11, 2024 at 12:33 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sfonorth
I’m a 2MM and did not get invited back to Global services (56k PQP, 84 segments). As such, I was dropped to 1K status. My ride and daughter are 1MM so we have a daisy chain of statuses from me.

2 questions;
1. Was offered a Globsl services challenge of $18k which I will complete this week. Once I am granted GS, will my companion automatically have a status change even though it’s happening a bit late

2. Mileage plus lists that “Companions of Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members are not eligible for PlusPoints.” Does this apply to companions of GS? I wasn’t sure if it’s just the language of the T&C
Million miler companions for GS do not get plus points either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.