Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone booked LH F awards recently?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I was trying to get two FRA-DTW (for PEK-FRA-DTW) in F at T-14. .com showed two seats, but phone call only found one. So I put a dummy FRA-DTW on hold for two ppl. Sometime overnight, it went from waitlist to confirmed. I then canceled the dummy hold, both seats went back into inventory immed, and I was able to make change.
Are you even able to waitlist such awards with a hold and no inventory?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Are you even able to waitlist such awards with a hold and no inventory?
united.com saw inventory of two F seats so it let me "hold" it. I have no idea what happened behind the scenes or if another seat would have opened if I waited without a hold. Just a suggestion for others to try if they run into phantom availability.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
i just had "reverse phantom" occur. The flight I have been waiting for has been showing available for days as phantom.... it then disappeared from UA.com and appeared on ANA and KVS as available.

So, couldnt see it on UA.com, but the agent on the phone could see it and booked, ticketed, seat 1A for me!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Smile Success at T-4. Saver Award

Just booked the following for two at the Saver First (67.5k miles/person):

CLE EWR in UA Y
EWR BOS in UA F
BOS FRA in LH F (744 with seat+bed configuration)
FRA PRG in LH J (that's Euro-J)

Connection time in FRA is just over four (4) hours.
Will be first time in FCT. ^

At five days before travel ua.com was showing two seats available on the Lufthansa 744 flight. However, in reality, only one was available.
The following day (yesterday) I tried again and found two seats.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Lufthansa makes one further effort not to have to offer its F product to the alliance.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:03 am

LH F4 at T-10, any chance of an award via MP?

Flight I'm interested in is FRA->SIN. I see F4 in terms of availability right now. What are the odds something shows up for MP booking? Nothing was opened up at T-14 (I checked), does LH sometime release closer in? If so, how close? And from collective experience, what's the chances of any seats being released for awards if the cabin is already half full?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:08 am

All random, no concrete system. If available, they sometimes release it hours before a flight.

Best option is to use a EF subscription and set an alert.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nocloud
Flight I'm interested in is FRA->SIN. I see F4 in terms of availability right now. What are the odds something shows up for MP booking? Nothing was opened up at T-14 (I checked), does LH sometime release closer in? If so, how close? And from collective experience, what's the chances of any seats being released for awards if the cabin is already half full?
Some of this is route dependent, but it is unlikely that you will see more award seats open on an F4 flight until T-3 or so. And LH rarely releases award seats once a flight goes to F2.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
It doesn't even take F2 for them to decide not to release. Tomorrow (8/27) the FRA-LAX flight is sitting at F6A6 on the 744 and they haven't released a single seat for *A awards! Can't check M&M availability because we are within 2 days, but the last time I checked they weren't even releasing a seat to their own members

On the plus side, my FRA-DEN tomorrow is now showing New F!

BTW, anybody else notice that http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/First-Class-Product is now a dead link?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by jasonvr
It doesn't even take F2 for them to decide not to release. Tomorrow (8/27) the FRA-LAX flight is sitting at F6A6 on the 744 and they haven't released a single seat for *A awards! Can't check M&M availability because we are within 2 days, but the last time I checked they weren't even releasing a seat to their own members ..
That is a difficult statement to make though - as SEN or HON you can always have a request sent to IM.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by jasonvr
BTW, anybody else notice that http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/First-Class-Product is now a dead link?
The link has been hit-or-miss over the last couple of weeks for me, but it's working as of right now.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
LH First Class strategy

I'm primarily a DL flyer, but I know a few things about UA awards and booking LH first class (namely, that they tend to release inventory about two weeks out). Well, I'm looking to book 2 FC award tickets on LH next July (2014), from FRA to any of BOS, NYC or WAS. Here is my question:

Should I...

(a) book some First Class ticket on UA metal now and then attempt to switch to LH if inventory opens? I assume this will entail a fee though (I have no UA status).

(b) book LH business class ticket now and then attempt to upgrade to FC if inventory opens up? But, will this entail a fee too?

Also, beyond just the potential change fees, what would the impact of a change to the reward chart mean in either case if the cost in miles to book FC increases between now and July next year?

Any insight and additional thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I'm primarily a DL flyer, but I know a few things about UA awards and booking LH first class (namely, that they tend to release inventory about two weeks out). Well, I'm looking to book 2 FC award tickets on LH next July (2014), from FRA to any of BOS, NYC or WAS. Here is my question:

Should I...

(a) book some First Class ticket on UA metal now and then attempt to switch to LH if inventory opens? I assume this will entail a fee though (I have no UA status).

(b) book LH business class ticket now and then attempt to upgrade to FC if inventory opens up? But, will this entail a fee too?

Also, beyond just the potential change fees, what would the impact of a change to the reward chart mean in either case if the cost in miles to book FC increases between now and July next year?

book F ticket on UA so the point value will be the same and all it will be is a change when the LH F opens up.

Not sure about the change fees.... I dont have to pay those
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer

Should I...

Fees are here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

$100 per traveller for a close-in change.

I would aim to book UA saver first award. Better than being stuck with LH J.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

apologies if this has been covered but, I've been looking at close in F award availability. Is United.com not showing any LH availability at this time? I can see seats available on ANA but UA doesn't even show the flight options.

Thanks
FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.