Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I'm arriving from MNL at 5.40am and proceeding to NRT at 12.05pm, both on UA. I have GE.

I'm thinking to get out, rent a car and drive around the island for 2-3 hrs - Is this a reasonable plan?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I'm arriving from MNL at 5.40am and proceeding to NRT at 12.05pm, both on UA. I have GE.

I'm thinking to get out, rent a car and drive around the island for 2-3 hrs - Is this a reasonable plan?
GE will let you skip immigration, but you still need to fill in the Guam customs form and go through customs. Should be easy as you won't retrieve your bags.

Noon is just the NRT flight (B738) leaving and it's not a busy TSA checkpoint. You should have PreCheck. It's just TSA and walking to the gate.

If you have the energy, driving around is easy. A bit of traffic on some road during the morning rush hour (if weekdays) but nothing like the jams in the afternoon.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:15 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Day room with 14-hour connection in GUM?

We are flying HKG-GUM on UA180 and GUM-CNS on UA98 so will be in Guam from 5 AM to 6:45 PM. We are US citizens.

We will rent a car and would like to snorkel if there's not a lot of rain. Questions:

1) Will our bags be checked through, or will we have the option to go either way? Presumably we will have to walk our checked bags through US Customs.

2) When we get off the plane, will we be shunted straight to passport control/Customs or can we stop at the United Club?

3) Any recommendations for a bargain day room? All we'd need is a shower, as there does not appear to be one at the United Club. We're passing on the Hyatt's generous offer of $215 after tax.

Last edited by Jzo; Sep 5, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by Jzo
We are flying HKG-GUM on UA180 and GUM-CNS on UA98 so will be in Guam from 5 AM to 6:45 PM. We are US citizens.

We will rent a car and would like to snorkel if there's not a lot of rain. Questions:

1) Will our bags be checked through, or will we have the option to go either way? Presumably we will have to walk our checked bags through US Customs.

2) When we get off the plane, will we be shunted straight to passport control/Customs or can we stop at the United Club?

3) Any recommendations for a bargain day room? All we'd need is a shower, as there does not appear to be one at the United Club. We're passing on the Hyatt's generous offer of $215 after tax.
1) If same tickets then likely checked all the wag through but you could argue. If separate, then no probs.

2) No chance for united club until you clear immigration. So no.

3) Not sure. Worth calling a few hotels and asking for a day rate. Usually better than you would find otherwise.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Jzo

I can't say whether you'll be able to check through, or be able to choose to short check to GUM. However, there is no US customs. If your bag is checked to GUM, you'll proceed to Guam customs after US immigration. If your bag is checked through, you just go through Guam customs with your carry-on.

The GUM concourse is now divided along the whole length into halves, and all arriving passengers (except from SPN and HNL) will be directed to the half that goes only to US immigration.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:24 pm
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Many thanks for the replies.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Connection at Guam

Hi everyone. I'm looking into book holiday travel between LAX and HKG. The return trip is HKG-->guam-->HNL-->LAX. I've never been to guam before, so my questions are:
1. Do you clear custom and immigration there?
2. The itinerary leaves 80 minutes for connection at Guam. Is that enough time if we need to clear custom and immigration (I'd usually leave at least 2.5 hours for that).
Thanks in advance for your advice/insight. Safe travels!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
You'll have a quick Immigration check (quick look at Passport and BP) and Guam Customs (not US, only a quick question or two to make sure you're not leaving anything in Guam) for transit. I've usually been in the lounge in about 20 minutes or so you'll have time for a drink or two. The big clearance formalities will be in HNL where US CBP will be waiting. Guam is not part of the US for CBP purposes even though CBP does the immigration there and Guam has their own customs people.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by dugu
Hi everyone. I'm looking into book holiday travel between LAX and HKG. The return trip is HKG-->guam-->HNL-->LAX. I've never been to guam before, so my questions are:
1. Do you clear custom and immigration there?
2. The itinerary leaves 80 minutes for connection at Guam. Is that enough time if we need to clear custom and immigration (I'd usually leave at least 2.5 hours for that).
Thanks in advance for your advice/insight. Safe travels!
1. You'll clear immigration. You won't have to pick up your bags if they're tagged all the way. You'll clear customs in HNL.

2. Yes.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Palal
1. You'll clear immigration. You won't have to pick up your bags if they're tagged all the way. You'll clear customs in HNL.
But they'll pick up their bags in HNL and re-check them for LAX.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:30 pm

Many thanks for the reply. It'll be bonus if we'd have time to go to the lounge!

Originally Posted by ttuna3
You'll have a quick Immigration check (quick look at Passport and BP) and Guam Customs (not US, only a quick question or two to make sure you're not leaving anything in Guam) for transit. I've usually been in the lounge in about 20 minutes or so you'll have time for a drink or two. The big clearance formalities will be in HNL where US CBP will be waiting. Guam is not part of the US for CBP purposes even though CBP does the immigration there and Guam has their own customs people.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Guam is not part of the US for CBP purposes even though CBP does the immigration there and Guam has their own customs people.
I wondered about this the other day when I transited Pago Pago. Unlike Guam, there's no CBP doing immigration in American Samoa. Legally, however, isn't Samoa the same as Guam? Why would CBP handle the immigration (but not customs) in one but not the other?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:38 pm

Thanks Palal and JVPhoto for the reply. So the summary is:
1. 80 minute is enough to clear US immigration and Guam custom, and to go to the lounge for a drink!
2. We'd need to clear US custom in HNL, where we pick up the bags and re-check. (Usually we travel with carry-on only, so this won't be too much a concern).

Seriously, this is the most helpful forum. ^ (I've checked Guam airport's page, and the FAQ has a one-line answer to everything: please visit US Custom and Border Protect website... )

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
But they'll pick up their bags in HNL and re-check them for LAX.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The territories are all different. Guam is within the Customs Territory of the USA, while the NMI and Am. Sam., by way of example, are not.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I flew out HNL-EWR (I was connecting from KOA) we also had to go through a security light type thing which I think seemed more like them just scanning the bags for fruits/veg? Only took an extra few minutes but not sure if that can get backed up at peak times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.