Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:20 am

Ah yep, that's the one I was thinking of... didn't have any DL branding so I just assumed it was contract. Nice food spread and seating, but no tarmac views so ended up at the UA Club anyway...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
With your HNL BP, you may be able to "transit"--walk from immigration directly to your "gate" (the preclearance "hall")..
Ok, so I guess I need to be schooled on how GUM is laid out.

Where exactly is the UA Club? Is it airside? Is airside the "preclearance hall" area?

UA Club is "airside"
The "pre-clearance hall" is a "holding-pen" by Gates 8 & 9. Arrive 40 min before your departure to HNL.

Just a summary of the info in this thread:

For HNL-GUM-(non-US destinations):
  • Arrive in GUM
  • Collect checked luggage
  • Clear GUM Customs
  • Re-Check any checked baggage
  • Re-Clear TSA-style security
  • Hang around airside until flight (like a normal US airport). UA Club is accessible airside.

For (non-US origin)-GUM-HNL:
  • Arrive in GUM
  • Clear US Immigration
  • Collect any checked luggage
  • Clear GUM Customs
  • Re-Check any checked luggage
  • Hang around airside until flight (like a normal US airport). UA Club is accessible airside.
  • Clear US Immigration at Gate (holding-pen at Gate 8 & 9, arrive at least 40 min before departure).

For those who are connecting GUM-HNL-XXX (where XXX is any airport)
  • Arrive in HNL
  • Clear HNL customs
  • Re-Clear TSA security

Last edited by warreng24; Jul 29, 2013 at 6:13 am Reason: Feedback & corrections Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by warreng24
Ok, so I guess I need to be schooled on how GUM is laid out.

Where exactly is the UA Club? Is it airside? Is airside the "preclearance hall" area?
The UA club is airside near gate 10(?)

For (non-US origin)-GUM-HNL:
  • Arrive in GUM
  • Clear US Immigration
  • Clear GUM Customs
  • Clear US Immigration at the gate
IME not quite. No need to clear GUM customs or collect checked luggage.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Club is airside. The preclearance "hall" is the waiting area to Gate 8 or Gate 9. At the gate dedicated to GUM-HNL, your BP is scanned before you can enter the waiting area. If you don't show up by a certain time (30-45 minutes, I don't have any recent info), they'll offload you and your bags. Therefore after clearing inbound immigration, you should be able to walk through anything airside (stores, restaurants, UA Club) before reaching the "hall".

For HNL-GUM-(non-US destinations):
  • Arrive in GUM
  • Collect checked luggage
  • Clear GUM Customs
  • Re-Check any checked baggage
You do not collect luggage, clear customs, re-check or re-clear. HNL-GUM arrival passengers are directed to two places: Guam customs or connecting flights.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by USFdonWill
The UA club is airside near gate 10(?)
Thanks for the info! So, that means I'll have to budget enough time to leave the club and clear Immigration then get on the plane.

How long does it take to clear Immigration at the gate? 10, 15 minutes?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info! So, that means I'll have to budget enough time to leave the club and clear Immigration then get on the plane.
Unless someone with status can provide recent updates, I'd suggest digging out a local number and inquire. So many things could've changed on the UA side due to the merger.

How long does it take to clear Immigration at the gate? 10, 15 minutes?
Since vast majority of passengers are US citizens or residents, and the main purpose being verifying admissibilty instead of actually admitting, it doesn't take as long as Canadian/Caribbean preclearance. But maybe someone more experienced can explain how they manage status/priority passengers in this situation.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:36 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

There is a Premier Access lane and an economy lane. At least that is what I remember seeing back in April.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:07 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I've updated my original post, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21172527-post47.html, with the updated info.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:32 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I've updated my original post, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21172527-post47.html, with the updated info.
One correction: You do clear US immigration (at the main hall) arriving from international, then proceed sideway to the small TSA transit inspection (instead of downstairs to Guam customs).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, United 1K
I'm a Canadian citizen traveling HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-YVR next week, don't expect to check a bag, just carry on. The GUM layover is only 40 minutes, I presume since I'm arriving from HKG that I would clear US Immigration as indicated earlier in this thread and I have TSA Pre-check but it still seems awfully tight: my questions:

Does Pre-check even operate in GUM?

I presume UA sells this combination because it's doable, but is it?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by publicrelasian
I'm a Canadian citizen traveling HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-YVR next week, don't expect to check a bag, just carry on. The GUM layover is only 40 minutes, I presume since I'm arriving from HKG that I would clear US Immigration as indicated earlier in this thread and I have TSA Pre-check but it still seems awfully tight: my questions:

Does Pre-check even operate in GUM?

I presume UA sells this combination because it's doable, but is it?
GUM has Global Entry, there's no Pre-Check....I have connected in GUM several times and 40 min has never been an issue so it is doable.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by MK19791980
GUM has Global Entry, there's no Pre-Check....I have connected in GUM several times and 40 min has never been an issue so it is doable.
I don't have Global Entry unfortunately but I feel so much better now knowing that it's doable! thank you so much for responding!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by MK19791980
Would you mind confirming my understanding of the steps at GUM?

- deplane, head to US Immigration
- follow 'transit' sign (hopefully it's obvious)
- go through TSA screening
- head to gate and board?

(I won't be checking a bag)
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: United 1k
You're welcome. The steps outlined are correct. In terms of following the transit sign, there'll be a couple of employees at a desk right behind immigration. They have a list of passenger names and will need to check your boarding pass. They'll give you directions if needed.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by publicrelasian
Would you mind confirming my understanding of the steps at GUM?

- deplane, head to US Immigration
- follow 'transit' sign (hopefully it's obvious)
- go through TSA screening
- head to gate and board?

(I won't be checking a bag)
Yes. Look for a "connecting" passenger desk right after US Immigration. It is located to the left and you will see the door that leads to TSA screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.