Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by moyeung
just to give you FT'ers a heads up
just came back from manila to honlulu via guam 11252013
change in transit procedure is in effect
you must now pass through guam customs now even without claiming
your luggage and then go back upstairs from arrivals
USCBP inspector said it was changed about 3 weeks ago
So you get thrown out of secured zone into landside? Is there only one TSA checkpoint (the regular departure hall) now?

Wondering if this is seasonal and DST related. Redeye MNL-GUM arrives 0445 year-round. GUM-HNL, however, leaves earlier during mainland DST and later during standard time. Too much time in between now during northern winter.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:49 pm

looks like where you were rescreened after coming out of immigration is now the pre check line
also the guam customs form now has a checkbox for transit passengers
Old May 1, 2014, 7:57 pm

Connecting in GUM within 1 hour 5 minutes?

Arriving GUM from HKG at 06:10 a.m. connecting to HNL departing at 07:15 a.m.
UA will sell me the ticket, but it looks rather tight to me and I guess we have to clear customs and immigration in GUM as well? Any experiences?
Old May 1, 2014, 8:15 pm

check this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cont...tion-guam.html

Seems you have to clear immi in GUM.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Arriving GUM from HKG at 06:10 a.m. connecting to HNL departing at 07:15 a.m.
UA will sell me the ticket, but it looks rather tight to me and I guess we have to clear customs and immigration in GUM as well? Any experiences?
That does seem tight but C&I and TSA is fairly easy in GUM.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Doable, but tight. I've done it in 20 minutes...but I was sweating. You must clear immigration, but it is quick.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Connecting in GUM within 1 hour 5 minutes?

It's not an issue. Had done that connection in January, and I got to gate/security before they started letting people in.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Doable, but tight. I've done it in 20 minutes...but I was sweating. You must clear immigration, but it is quick.
More importantly, you need to clear TSA.

When I did MNL-GUM-HNL with a similar connection length, security took far more time than US CBP (which does immigration into GUM and then preclearance before HNL at the gate).
Old May 2, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
More than enough time.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: DL GM
Connection Time in Guam?

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post, please feel free to move as necessary.

Does anyone have experience connecting in GUM to/from the micronesia services? From what I can tell, international-international transit is no longer available in GUM, are the customs lines typically very bad?

I'm booked on UA154 (the island hopper) in late October, my ultimate route is HNL-(multiple stops)-GUM-HKG, with a 55 minute connection in GUM onward to HKG. I assume that I'll be treated as an international arrival when I land in Guam.

Should I be prepared for an extra (unscheduled) night in Guam, or do you think that this connection is doable?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the hopper is on time you'll be fine.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Mrs. Jet'Dillo and I did the HKG<->GUM thing last fall and it's, um, *interesting* to say the least. If you proceed directly to your connecting gate as soon as you get off the plane, you will make your flight.
The connection is very tight, but since there are so few flights through GUM to HNL or HKG, UA does everything they can to make sure they don't leave you behind.

Be prepared for TSA re-inspection, multiple passport/ID checks, etc. as GUM is US territory but not technically "The States".
(Since GUM is not the mainland, it's possible to enter from outside the US w/ out a visa, but there are multiple checkpoints to make sure foreign visitors do not then hop onto the HNL flight w/out proper docs because there is no passport control/customs in HNL from GUM. )

To re-iterate, proceed *directly* to your connecting gate, do not stop, do not collect $200 from the ATM, don't even try to get a bottle of water or snack from the concessions stand. You really don't have time. There are about 100 other pax all trying to do the same thing you are, the CBP and UA staff are well aware of the drill, but you gotta keep up your end of the deal.

Have fun!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yeah Guam has no transit unless you are coming from HNL. I just did the HKG-GUM-HNL international arrival and it wasn't the slowest in the world but definitely a pain and some walking distances. Immigration has Global Entry Kiosks but the agent called me over to him in the diplomat lane since he said it's just easier. Then going back through security, the pre-check line was empty early morning but the regular line was long. Definitely speak up about connection time and cut any lines if you're running late.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:53 pm

I Travel the HNL-GUM-MNL-GUM-HNL as part of my complete rout at least 4 times a year, never missed a connection even with 1 hour delays in MNL or HNL or my departing point, But my connection time is usually at 4 am or 10pm when the airport is not that busy and still have had time for a drink and smoke (yes I smoke!! sorry to say) except of course with a delayed flight.

UA will wait for the connecting flights most of the times so that 55 minute window you should be safe.

Have had no experiences as to high traffic times of day though so cannot speak to that.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KPWM_Spotter
Does anyone have experience connecting in GUM to/from the micronesia services? From what I can tell, international-international transit is no longer available in GUM, are the customs lines typically very bad?
No - there is no line. Most international traffic arrives in the early morning.

I'm booked on UA154 (the island hopper) in late October, my ultimate route is HNL-(multiple stops)-GUM-HKG, with a 55 minute connection in GUM onward to HKG. I assume that I'll be treated as an international arrival when I land in Guam.
IMHO - I don't think you have to go through CBP and GCQA at all.

Even you have to, 55 minutes are more than enough.

1. Your checked baggage does not go through GCQA and will load directly to UA 179.

2. In case of delays, UA will mostly hold all the planes due to schedule issues as not all GUM-flights operate daily (Remember - the planes still have to wait for UA 201 from HNL nonstop).

3. IME - the longest time spent in GUM is TSA, even I have PreCheck. The only exception is if you are not a citizen.

CBP does not ask anything as soon as you have the transit BP. GCQA, knowing you are transiting, only collect the customs form, which I mark "TRANSIT".

Should I be prepared for an extra (unscheduled) night in Guam, or do you think that this connection is doable?
You are fine.

IME and other reports from the FT, I have never seen anyone got stuck in GUM for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.