Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 252)
Fortunately, CBP and the Guam Customs and Quarantine Agency (CQA) have a separate line and screening personnel for transit passengers making it quicker than for those actually leaving the airside of GUM and going elsewhere on Guam. . . .

I will be flying back from MNL in two weeks and will update with more specific time details if no one else has done so by then.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post # 255)
[ F]rom Honolulu to Guam to Saipan, you won't see USCBP. But from Saipan to Guam to Honolulu, USCBP will check your admissibility before each flight, and at Honolulu for customs.

Last time I transited HKG-GUM-HNL, I had to go out landside and used the same TSA checkpoint as local passengers. SPN Lifer can confirm if this has changed. Regardless, coming from a foreign airport, you'll have to go through TSA at some point.

All these can be very quick, and you won't need to retrieve checked bags. And gate agents for the not-so-frequent GUM-SPN flight will be aware of you.
I flew through GUM yesterday morning with my family from MNL (via ROR, to save a couple hundred dollars each), arriving around 07:00.

We went through the regular CBP immigration and Guam Customs checkpoints, before being forced to exit "landside" and then immediately thereafter turn left, back up to the TSA inspection station. So this is analogous to an international arrival at SFO, except not having to claim through-checked bags.

My previous experience arriving on GUM from NRT was at about 01:00 in April 2021. As I recall, we went through the same steps and process. However, perhaps due to the time of day or low volume of arrivals, or both, we may have used ad hoc locations rather than the usual inspection stations for one or more of the steps (CBP, GCQA, TSA). My recollection of that is hazy.
kevino and jsloan like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
SPNLifer, did you see the new security baggage scanners in GUM that look like MRI machines? No one has to take any electronics out of their bags. I asked the agent if they could see what sites I visited on my laptop and he said, "l'll let you know."
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I am not particularly attentive to such detail, so I spoke to my son just now.

He asked TSA if he had to remove his laptop, and they said leaving it inside his carry-on suitcase was fine. He did notice the new, bigger machine.

I had inquired if I could bring through a can of bloody Mary mix from the MNL-ROR-GUM flight, and then chugged it when they said no. Perhaps that explains the lack of focus on my surroundings.
uanj and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I am going to have UA154 connecting to UA183 at GUM. It is a PNI-GUM-MNL itinerary. The arriving time of UA154 is 18:25 (was 18:00) now after the new schedule and the 95 mins connection time at GUM seems to be tight, as UA154 is frequently delayed. Do I need to recheck my bags at GUM? GUM seems to have 60 mins cutoff for checking bags so I am worrying about missing connection due to rechecking bags.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your bags are checked in on a single connecting ticket, PNI-GUM-MNL, there will be no need, or even opportunity, to retrieve and recheck your luggage on Guam.

The bags will go directly from UA154 to UA183. You will never see them.
jsloan, uanj and zig2 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:00 pm

Is sleeping in Guam airport allowed?

I have a trip coming up in a few months that gets into Guam around 6:30pm with a connection at 6:30am the next morning (HNL-GUM-FUK). Is it acceptable to spend the night in the Guam airport or do they sweep through and boot folks out of the secure area overnight. Or is it even possible to remain in the secure area without a same-day connection given customs procedures?

Mahalo for the insights/advice!
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I do it all the time. As do dozens of other transit passengers.

The unused gates at the south end of the terminal are the best place to do so.
alenguy likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by alenguy
I have a trip coming up in a few months that gets into Guam around 6:30pm with a connection at 6:30am the next morning (HNL-GUM-FUK). Is it acceptable to spend the night in the Guam airport or do they sweep through and boot folks out of the secure area overnight. Or is it even possible to remain in the secure area without a same-day connection given customs procedures?
A normal domestic to international connection at GUM involves just walking to the next gate instead of entering Guam customs. However, be aware UA may not be able to check bags overnight, so if you may have to go landside through Guam customs. I think they have resumed (July 2022) evening check-in (and baggage acceptance) for early morning flights, during 7:30-9:30 pm.
SPN Lifer and alenguy like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slightly OT: is the UC now open? if so, is it worth a visit?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the United Club was open when Mrs. SPN Lifer flew through GUM two weeks ago. She thought the food was much improved from twelve years earlier, though the lounge is still in the same location.

I suppose "worth it" depends on whether one has unlimited access for a lifetime, for a year (sunk cost), two passes a year, or pays $59 for each entry.

In the latter two instances, the length of one's stay is a relevant consideration.
cesco.g likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jul 12, 2023 at 3:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.