Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mueagles09
I'm trying to book a flight from SFO to MNL for work in a few weeks, and I found a decent deal on a SFO - HNL - GUM - MNL route, but the layover in GUM is only 45 minutes.

Is that enough time for me to get through any customs or passport control? I'm assuming the airport isn't too busy, but I've never flown through GUM, so I'm not sure. Normally, I wouldn't risk cutting it so close, but it'll get me to gold on United, so I'd like to get this one in if I can.
Remember that 45 minutes is from when your plane lands to when your next flight takes off? Shave off 5-10 for the 'gate closing' and that's how much time you have.

It's not unheard of, but are you ok running in case things go south? Is it just you? If you have kids or a significant other who isn't a fan of running, I would go against it. Other than that, go for it and good luck!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is that enough time for me to get through any customs or passport control?
You are always okay when your flights are not delayed.

If delayed, the load of the connecting flights determines your faith (stay or plane hold).

You will have enough time to pass through immigration and customs. The tricky part is TSA, when you travel MNL-GUM-HNL. TSA Precheck (but not GE) helps.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
For outbound flight, you turn left and go to the gate for MNL flight. For inbound flight, you need more time. You will go to kiosk to scan your passport and then bring the receipt for inspection. Then, you go downstair to give the Guam Ag form; Afterward, you go two floors up for TSA check. At the gate for HNL flight, you will go through US passport check again.
So, try to sit near the first class cabin for MNL-GUM flight. You will make the connection in 45 min. Good luck.
I like the sounds of this. The beauty of it all is that I'm only going through GUM on the way to MNL. I have a few other stops in SE Asia to make and will be flying home from KUL on a totally separate route, so the only squeeze for me is the GUM - MNL connection. I think I'm leaning toward going for this route.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Guess I have to repeat this again: UA GUM is a small operation and is not like IAH where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. If you get stranded westbound they have to do a lot of paperwork and pay for a night (there's almost never ATC/weather delays), so you can't possibly "just miss" the flight. Eastbound, however, is another story, since there is no "night" to pay for and a couple other options that will delay you for many hours.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I like the sounds of this. The beauty of it all is that I'm only going through GUM on the way to MNL. I have a few other stops in SE Asia to make and will be flying home from KUL on a totally separate route, so the only squeeze for me is the GUM - MNL connection. I think I'm leaning toward going for this route.
After you come out of the jet bridge of HNL-GUM flight, you turn right if your final destination is GUM. If you transit to another destination, you turn left and go to your gate. Normally, the HNL-GUM flight arrives a few minutes earlier. There is no chance for misconnection for your outbound flight. If misconnection happens, you will have a good time enjoying Guam at United's expense.
Good luck.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by garykung
No. Fast/Casual food only.

Except for GUM-SPN, all flights ex-GUM are international.
And, I believe, GUM-ROP (Rota).

GUM is the only UA hub where I would contemplate a 45-minute connection. It is a great little, well-run operation.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
After you come out of the jet bridge of HNL-GUM flight, you turn right if your final destination is GUM. If you transit to another destination, you turn left and go to your gate. Normally, the HNL-GUM flight arrives a few minutes earlier. There is no chance for misconnection for your outbound flight. If misconnection happens, you will have a good time enjoying Guam at United's expense.
Good luck.
This sounds almost too good to be true. Although it does make sense that UA wouldn't set this short connection without knowing what the usual timing is at GUM. The downside is that this is a business trip, so a missed connection really screws things up for me. I did see that I could leave a day earlier and spend 18 hours in GUM, so I could check it out for a day with no risk of a missed connection. That options seems good too.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds almost too good to be true. Although it does make sense that UA wouldn't set this short connection without knowing what the usual timing is at GUM. The downside is that this is a business trip, so a missed connection really screws things up for me. I did see that I could leave a day earlier and spend 18 hours in GUM, so I could check it out for a day with no risk of a missed connection. That options seems good too.
It is too good to be true. There's always a chance of a misconnection. But the chance is smaller at GUM than just about any other hub in the system, as the amount of connecting traffic from that HNL flight to the evening flights is substantial. Yes, UA probably ends up paying for your care during the misconnect, but that's little comfort if they end up wrecking your schedule in the process.

If leaving a day earlier works for your schedule, I'd do that. Guam is only a two-hour time difference from Manila, so it'll help with the jet lag, and the island is full of both beaches and history, so you should be able to find something to do.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL FO
Hi,

I've got a tight connection coming up...
MNL-GUM-NRT-EWR
Connection in Guam is only 40min.
What are the arrival and departure procedures in GUM? I know I will have to clear immigration at GUM, and then clear security for my flight to NRT. But will I have to claim and recheck my bags?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoth300
Hi,

I've got a tight connection coming up...
MNL-GUM-NRT-EWR
Connection in Guam is only 40min.
What are the arrival and departure procedures in GUM? I know I will have to clear immigration at GUM, and then clear security for my flight to NRT. But will I have to claim and recheck my bags?

Thanks for any advice!
No need to claim your bags or go through customs. You'll go downstairs, through immigration, exit landside, then head back upstairs and go through security into the departure area.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by jsloan
No need to claim your bags or go through customs. You'll go downstairs, through immigration, exit landside, then head back upstairs and go through security into the departure area.
awesome, thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not entirely true.

OP and OP's carry-on baggage WILL go through GCQA.

OP's checked baggage WILL NOT go through any form of customs and will transfer to GUM-NRT.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Not entirely true.

OP and OP's carry-on baggage WILL go through GCQA.

OP's checked baggage WILL NOT go through any form of customs and will transfer to GUM-NRT.
Good point. So if you're bringing any fruit or meat, make sure you finish it before you get off of the plane.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:04 pm

hey i got an HKG-GUM-HNL flight coming up thats showing a 50min connection.

Any recent experience if i'll make this flight?

I have GE if that helps at all and will most likely be traveling with no checked bag
Old May 1, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You will be fine with 50 min connection time. I do not know that there is a GE kiosk at GUM. Everyone uses the normal kiosk and then hands the receipt to an agent. He/she may ask for your GUM-HNL BP, which will be stamped to save you a few second at UA gate. Then, you go downstairs to go through GUM procedure. After, you will go upstairs to security check. Everything is very efficient. If you sit in Business or Economy Plus, it will help. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.