Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:39 pm

Read through all of this, and didn't see this case so I thought I'd post:

Flying in from Manila, arriving at 6:20am
At 6:55am is my flight to NRT

Seems to be conflicting information on whether I need to go through immigration or can transit directly to the gate?

(both flights UA)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AhmedF
Read through all of this, and didn't see this case so I thought I'd post:

Seems to be conflicting information on whether I need to go through immigration or can transit directly to the gate?

(both flights UA)
You'll need to go through US/Guam* immigration, Guam customs (which is a formality for transit passengers; no need to pick up bags), and TSA security.

* They're slightly different, in that there are nationalities allowed to enter Guam that are not allowed to enter the rest of the United States.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Again - another scheduling issue. The GUM-NRT flight will be adjusted accordingly.

Originally Posted by jsloan
You'll need to go through US/Guam* immigration, Guam customs (which is a formality for transit passengers; no need to pick up bags), and TSA security.

* They're slightly different, in that there are nationalities allowed to enter Guam that are not allowed to enter the rest of the United States.
Unless you arrive from SPN or HNL, all arriving passengers must go through Guam-only Immigration (operated by U.S. CBP) and customs (operated by GCQA).

U.S. residents (citizens/nationals/LPR) who can show same-day GUM-HNL BP.are processed for U.S. immigration instead,
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

Oooh so may be a bit squeaky bum tight. There is a flight a few hours earlier but had no *A availability. It was suggested (not my own build) so hopefully will be OK.

Originally Posted by garykung
Again - another scheduling issue. The GUM-NRT flight will be adjusted accordingly.
Good to hear.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I just did HKG-GUM-KIX on Tuesday. UA would have sold me HKG-GUM-HNL with a 50 minute connection time, and I would have made that flight. After exiting TSA and walking to my gate, there was a huge line of people going to HNL preclearance. I could have stepped right in. They were boarding Group 2 into the waiting room (there is a very odd double boarding of 200) as I passed.

This is with TSA Pre. The lines were as long as I have ever seen them in Guam, but certainly shorter than 10 minutes and likely closer to 5.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: NA
Is 50 minutes enough for transit in GUM for HKG-GUM-HNL? As I know in GUM one has to go to US immigration first, and get the chop, then go to TSA. But these queues may be very long. Will the plane wait for the transit passengers due to these long queues? And will any UA staff help out after exiting the HKG-GUM flight for transit?

Also if I really miss the flight, how will UA compensate?

Last edited by A330343X; Jul 28, 2018 at 10:56 am Reason: supplement more info
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by A330343X
Is 50 minutes enough for transit in GUM for HKG-GUM-HNL?
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I just did HKG-GUM-KIX on Tuesday. UA would have sold me HKG-GUM-HNL with a 50 minute connection time, and I would have made that flight.
If you miss UA200, United will put you on the next available flight to HNL (or your final destination if you are connecting in HNL), which will likely be either GUM-NRT-HNL or the Island Hopper.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:44 pm

If you miss UA200, United will put you on the next available flight to HNL (or your final destination if you are connecting in HNL), which will likely be either GUM-NRT-HNL or the Island Hopper.
will they hold UA200 so that the transit pax won't miss it?

And how will UA compensate if really missing the flight (due to long US immigration & TSA queues) and rerouted?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:43 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Also if I really miss the flight, how will UA compensate?
.... And how will UA compensate if really missing the flight (due to long US immigration & TSA queues) and rerouted?
If the incoming plane arrives on time and you get stuck in immigration, there should be no expectation of compensation by UA. While not GUM specific, immigration delays can happen at other airports and when it does happen, UA will waive its no-show, cancellation rules and see what they can do for you to continue your travel. It's not UA's fault if you get hung due to security, immigration, ...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is 50 minutes enough for transit in GUM for HKG-GUM-HNL?
Yes. More than enough.

Will the plane wait for the transit passengers due to these long queues?
will they hold UA200 so that the transit pax won't miss it?
Yes and no.

Because immigration is involved, UA will hold the flight for those who have no immigration issue.

However, if you are delayed due to immigration issue, you are SOL.

And will any UA staff help out after exiting the HKG-GUM flight for transit?
Assume no. There may be someone pointing you to the right direction. However, don't expect that happens. Get familiar with GUM and pass through TSA asap.

Also if I really miss the flight, how will UA compensate?
And how will UA compensate if really missing the flight (due to long US immigration & TSA queues) and rerouted?
AFAIK, missing the GUM-HNL is a rare occurrence. If you really miss it, it means everyone on your flight will miss it as well. In that case, your compensation, if given, will be based on your status and the extent of your delay.

Any delays due to individual issues are on your own.

Unlikely the case. At the minimum, it will be a route that you have to request.

The problem with Island Hopper is it is a route with multiple stops. So even the flight is okay for 1 segment, another segment could be potentially overbooked. Weight is also another problem. The problem with GUM-NRT-HNL is visa issue, as not everyone can travel visa-free to Japan.

AFAIK - what UA will most likely do is to rebook you next day's UA 200 with a hotel room and food vouchers, so you can enjoy Guam for a day.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by garykung
The problem with Island Hopper is it is a route with multiple stops. So even the flight is okay for 1 segment, another segment could be potentially overbooked. Weight is also another problem. The problem with GUM-NRT-HNL is visa issue, as not everyone can travel visa-free to Japan.
Hence the word "available".
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:57 am

will they hold UA200
I would never take the advice of a bunch of strangers on the internet on whether an airline will or will not hold a plane. However, it is helpful to know how GUM is set up. Entering Guam is fast. TSA is usually fast. The longest lines are at the gate with the US preclearance. Now, if the lines are so long that they cause you to miss your flight, many people would be missing their flights. If your the only one who would miss the flight, the lines cannot be long. In either case, there's someone from United who is right there, so they are not making a decision in a vacuum.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:07 am

I would never take the advice of a bunch of strangers on the internet on whether an airline will or will not hold a plane. However, it is helpful to know how GUM is set up. Entering Guam is fast. TSA is usually fast. The longest lines are at the gate with the US preclearance. Now, if the lines are so long that they cause you to miss your flight, many people would be missing their flights. If your the only one who would miss the flight, the lines cannot be long. In either case, there's someone from United who is right there, so they are not making a decision in a vacuum.
Thx for info. Btw do I have to pass through the baggage claim area then go to the airlines counter for departure?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:21 am

You do pass through baggage claim, but I have never transited with baggage.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do pass through baggage claim, but I have never transited with baggage.
You pass through the baggage claim area, but your checked baggage is sent through automatically and you won't see it until HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.