Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Just want to make sure you saw this...

5. Creation of "Premier Platinum" downgrading lifetime Premier Executive; Impact: your best flyers have lifetime third tier status; before the introduction of Platinum, it was second.

In addition, the redeemable mile bonus reductions to the Gold level reduce the incentive to book the next itinerary on United versus another Star carrier. This is not only a devaluation to the Mileage Plus program generally, but especially to current Million Milers who directed corporate and personal travel exclusively to United Airlines in order to achieve Million Mile status.
I saw it.. that's why I like yours better... I didn't see it in the other one.. as to what to substitute "Betrayed," I dunno.. I'll think on it... maybe I'm off base... I'm only one opinion... let's see what the others think..
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I hadn't fully internalized what the impact of Plat would mean to someone like myself that would be "new version" of Gold so I did not document it.

For instance, gold loses to Plat but at 2MM Plat is better in some ways than premier exec (eg fee waivers).

However the loss of RDM bonus % is easy to document - it is really a Lucy pulling the football move for folks that spent considerable money and effort to achieve 1P for life.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: Platinum, MM - SPG lifetime Gold
Still confused. I am going to hit 1 million in a few months. Does my designated person get Gold/Premier Executive status or my 1K status as long as I maintain?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Always on a plane
Still confused. I am going to hit 1 million in a few months. Does my designated person get Gold/Premier Executive status or my 1K status as long as I maintain?
Your status - and never less than Gold
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Your status - and never less than Gold
I am at a mere 200,000 miles. My goal is to hit that MM mark and I can truly say I have never had to pay for a baggage fee LOL
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Always on a plane
The higher of the two - in this case 1K
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Joel, think about this - yes, it's not written in "big boy" words. But we don't want people on the outside reading this to look and think that it's elitist or "legal" sounding. Because the petition isn't in the professional tone of uastarflyer's, (which by the way I put every one of his points) I wanted anyone who reads this to know that we are ordinary people just like them who feel have been wronged.
Actually we're not ordinary people. At the risk of sounding elitist myself, I would venture to guess that people who fly a million miles or more are much more likely to be lawyers, business executives, and other well-educated professionals who will respond better to an appeal that doesn't seem to be talking down to them.

Similarly the United Board of Directors is probably not composed of "kettles", and we'll do better if they view us as people like themselves, able to see past their company's simplistic and misleading marketing messages to the underlying reality.

The third important constituency will be the journalists who will hopefully report the story. A concise outline of the issues will help them easily understand the story and they'll likely use posted comments and interviews of other flyers to add the emotional component for their audience.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I hadn't fully internalized what the impact of Plat would mean to someone like myself that would be "new version" of Gold so I did not document it.

For instance, gold loses to Plat but at 2MM Plat is better in some ways than premier exec (eg fee waivers).

However the loss of RDM bonus % is easy to document - it is really a Lucy pulling the football move for folks that spent considerable money and effort to achieve 1P for life.
You are very correct with this and that is why I don't think Premier Executive makes us whole with the changes, especially with all the other things taken away.

Like I said before, the ramifications of this are going to be HUGE. Right now it's all talk, but it's going to be an entirely different scenario when it's you and me at the gate. I wish I could see the numbers - how many new *A Gold members and Premier Executives have been created because of this.

We paid and flew 1,000,000 actual miles and we were promised x, y and z - and now, they are putting an entire group of new people into this mix, the majority (not all), who have traveled and spent less than a "true" MM. It's so nasty and under-handed.

In another thread, one of our fellow FTers said (paraphrasing) "I'm happy with the changes, the recalibration added 400K (or whatever) to my lifetime miles, I'm now a MM and permanent PE." Of course he's happy, I would be too, and God Bless him. But for those that put in all the effort to fly the actual miles?

Thanks for your help in re-writing the letter btw, uastarflyer

UG

Originally Posted by joel67
Actually we're not ordinary people. At the risk of sounding elitist myself, I would venture to guess that people who fly a million miles or more are much more likely to be lawyers, business executives, and other well-educated professionals who will respond better to an appeal that doesn't seem to be talking down to them.

Similarly the United Board of Directors is probably not composed of "kettles", and we'll do better if they view us as people like themselves, able to see past their company's simplistic and misleading marketing messages to the underlying reality.

The third important constituency will be the journalists who will hopefully report the story. A concise outline of the issues will help them easily understand the story and they'll likely use posted comments and interviews of other flyers to add the emotional component for their audience.
Wow

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joel67

Well, pre adjustment I was at 935K lifetime UA miles and made MM after the adjustment. Took about 12 years to get there. I am not a lawyer, business executive or what most would consider a professional. I was a field service Engineer and now an installation representative. so lots more than your designations can and will fly more than 1MM actual BIS and even more with the adjustment will be MM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, pre adjustment I was at 935K lifetime UA miles and made MM after the adjustment. Took about 12 years to get there. I am not a lawyer, business executive or what most would consider a professional. I was a field service Engineer and now an installation representative. so lots more than your designations can and will fly more than 1MM actual BIS and even more with the adjustment will be MM.
First of all, note that I said "are much more likely to be", not that they all are. Also, do you not consider yourself a professional or educated? Does your job not require a fair degree of knowledge, skill, and the ability to understand complex instructions? Do you not use "big boy words" (such as "designations") in your own writing?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Baze, how do you feel now, after 12 years and 935K to have the benefits changed on you? If you were given the option to have the recalibration taken away and let you get to the million mile mark by flying the actual mileage? I am a 2MM with the recalibration but I feel cheated, I feel what they did was unethical.

Of course a person who has travelled one million miles is someone that can add 1+1 but let's face it, if we all bought "A" or "F" class tickets, we wouldn't be here complaining, or at least I wouldn't be. Also, this is not a symposium of like-minded professionals, it's a public webpage for everyone's viewing, and coming across as a bunch of elitists will not help our cause to the general public, of course others may think differently. And that's okay.

I prefer taking the more humble route, if one doesn't feel the same, that's okay too. It takes a village and we all have to live on this earth together.

If you google "Million Miler status United" the WSJ article shows up third with "I really hate it when someone lies to me..."

That's what I mean about getting the word out^^^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2012 at 9:47 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darksidesith
I am at a mere 200,000 miles. My goal is to hit that MM mark and I can truly say I have never had to pay for a baggage fee LOL
and based on recent actions, you are confident about this?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I don't think it's combining the groups that did that, it's how each individual feels the new program benefits or doesn't benefit them, which is orthogonal to the combining of OP/MP groups.
Ohhh, yes, bmvaughn, exquisite timing...

Orthogonal (adj.)*

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowln...k-cover_b52535

Did a participant in this thread get to Bloomberg? Brilliant.

* In this case, an adverb.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
UrbaneGent - a step in the right direction and I applaud your initiative, but I suspect needing to add a real name and address will see 10% as many votes as you would otherwsie get?

Even having a FT handle option might be OK?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile

ozstamps, welcome back. . .

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hope you're good otherwise with what's been happening lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.