Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Although likely unpopular on this forum, I think there should also be weighting based on revenue miles vs. miles accumulated via credit card churning. 1 MM should be 1P for those that have actually flown 1 MM, but there are those that got to 1 MM from simply playing the credit card game, and in my mind those people haven't earned lifetime 1K let alone 1P.

Perhaps there could be some system where the current MM tiers exist, but there is a bump based on actual flown miles. Just a thought....
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
I have to chuckle at the proposal - fine with me if UA wants to do that but I just want to understand - you want them to promote you as a 1MM flier to a tier above what you used to get but it's ok for us 2MM to get nothing over what we used to get? Interesting how self serving all these things get isn't it.

I do think (and always have) that the airlines ought to use MM status to give the head start each year on higher tiers. That is the one way that they would actually incent retirees to fly more. As it is, unless I think I can fly a tier's worth more than whatever my lifetime status is I have no incentive to fly any more than whatever gets me where I'm going that year. They wouldn't even have to give full "pre-credit" for your lifetime tier for this to work. E.g., give a lifetime gold a pre-start of 35K and you still might get some airline value from it.

Next up, I am waiting for all the lawyers here to have a huge fight/discussion when UA does the equivalence computation and it differs from theirs. If UA were clever they would do the computation and add in a 10% slop factor to preempt that outcry - on the other hand, maybe 10% wouldn't be enough to satisfy everyone and then the CO folks would be irked. Guess they should just make us all uber-GS for life if we ever flew either airline before the merger.

Cynical - yup, a bit.
Just to be clear, I'm proposing that they keep the new levels as is (1MM => Gold), but add in an annual head start PQM bonus. I agree with you that it wouldn't need to be the full level-value, but at least something substantial. As far as I'm concerned, they can make it part of the new program, too, rather than just a special benefit for the existing PMUA MMs.

By the way, their one-time mileage adjustment is still not fair because many of us PMUA flyers would have behaved differently in ways that would have increased our mileage under the PMCO version if we had known that those rules would have applied. Better, but still not perfect, would be to use an adjustment factor based on average EQM/BIS miles for PMCO MMs applied to all PMUA lifetime balances.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:38 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by whimike
Although likely unpopular on this forum, I think there should also be weighting based on revenue miles vs. miles accumulated via credit card churning. 1 MM should be 1P for those that have actually flown 1 MM, but there are those that got to 1 MM from simply playing the credit card game, and in my mind those people haven't earned lifetime 1K let alone 1P.

Perhaps there could be some system where the current MM tiers exist, but there is a bump based on actual flown miles. Just a thought....
Just as there are certainly PMCO fliers who feel that legacy MP was too generous, this is implicitly saying the same about legacy OnePass.

I'm not arguing the point; there is no point in that. Fact is, CO defined their MM the way they did: BIS + EQM + FEQM + whatever else. They can't go back on that now. The adjustment to PMUA mileage totals is the best possible attempt to level that field.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Originally Posted by xFF
Aside from that, the prioritizing of 1K/MM over 1K is mainline thinking. It balances the "reward today's business" philosophy (incentive for MM's to earn 1K in a given year) with "reward long term loyalty" philosophy. It's a dual incentive.
When I crossed 1 MM, I wondered if I, as a current year 1K, would be rewarded with a higher status than a 1K non-MM'er. In time, I learned that I would not and it always felt like UA let that one slip through the crack. dave
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by dasams
When I crossed 1 MM, I wondered if I, as a current year 1K, would be rewarded with a higher status than a 1K non-MM'er. In time, I learned that I would not and it always felt like UA let that one slip through the crack. dave
I almost always have been so recognized and prioritized, though on an informal basis. ("Almost" because I'm usually flying out of BOS, IAD, ORD or SFO.) Anyway, it has usually worked in my favor, unless F is full of GSs or 1K MMs who were first-come-first-served ahead of me.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Future Looks Bleak

Originally Posted by Firewind
I almost always have been so recognized and prioritized, though on an informal basis.

It seems that will be much less likely with the new "improved" UACO
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Logically, a few annual SWU's SHOULD be part of each tier.

No point retiring, and being a 1K or GS, with zero SWU's to try and use!
I hope people read the official responses before posting. UA Insider already said that Lifetime 1K will receive six SWUs January each year unless they already received them by flying 100,000 EQM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I hope people read the official responses before posting. UA Insider already said that Lifetime 1K will receive six SWUs January each year unless they already received them by flying 100,000 EQM.
Lifetime 1K is at 3MM correct? Or those from PMCO who are infinite elite (whatever that means).
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:12 am

How about after the onetime adjustment you qualify using both PMCO and PMUA qualification criteria?

Something like:

1MM EQM Premier Silver + E+ at time of booking
1MM BIS Premier Gold
2MM EQM Premier Gold
2MM BIS Premier Platinum + Lifetime United Club
3MM EQM Premier Platinum + Lifetime United Club
3MM BIS Premier 1K
4MM EQM Premier 1k
4MM BIS GS
5MM EQM GS

After the onetime adjustment only BIS count.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by goingbananas
So, I have seen 2-3 proposals on resolution here.

1) Yours Joel67
2) The OZ plus UAstar and Mogul et al....
3) Someone mentioned counting the 1st MM on UA as double (or something like that) and going from there.
4) others I have missed?

Put them up, let UA Management see them (here or by other means), and see where the chips fall....
Originally Posted by whimike

Originally Posted by xFF
Just as there are certainly PMCO fliers who feel that legacy MP was too generous, this is implicitly saying the same about legacy OnePass.

I'm not arguing the point; there is no point in that. Fact is, CO defined their MM the way they did: BIS + EQM + FEQM + whatever else. They can't go back on that now. The adjustment to PMUA mileage totals is the best possible attempt to level that field.
Originally Posted by Here2There
How about after the onetime adjustment you qualify using both PMCO and PMUA qualification criteria?

Something like:

1MM EQM Premier Silver + E+ at time of booking
1MM BIS Premier Gold
2MM EQM Premier Gold
2MM BIS Premier Platinum + Lifetime United Club
3MM EQM Premier Platinum + Lifetime United Club
3MM BIS Premier 1K
4MM EQM Premier 1k
4MM BIS GS
5MM EQM GS

After the onetime adjustment only BIS count.
In the "what do you want the combined program to look like thread" I posted these:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post16054726

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post16642664

Something along the lines of an overlay system as Here2There and I propose could resolve a lot of the discrepancies that are giving people heartburn here. Just need to adjust the rewards a bit to align a little better with the system UACO proposed.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

snip snip

Something along the lines of an overlay system as Here2There and I propose could resolve a lot of the discrepancies that are giving people heartburn here.
-
With all due respect, the current proposed plan that is to become effective in 2012 is a source of a lot more than just heartburn. Defection from UA is the main result of the new plan.

With the new proposed plan for the combined million-mile program, there is no longer an incentive for passengers to attempt to achieve million-mile status. Therefore, loyalty to UA becomes a non issue.

I really hope the new UA management reconsiders their proposal and adopts some of the latest suggestions that were posted during the past few days.
-
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
With the new proposed plan for the combined million-mile program, there is no longer an incentive for passengers to attempt to achieve million-mile status. Therefore, loyalty to UA becomes a non issue.
I am highly incentivized to reach MM status on UA now that there's a spousal benefit, much moreso than under the previous program.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn

I am highly incentivized to reach MM status on UA now that there's a spousal benefit, much moreso than under the previous program.
-
I should have said there is no longer an incentive for MOST passengers to attempt to achieve million-mile status, obviously, not all.
-
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdx1M
I have to chuckle at the proposal - fine with me if UA wants to do that but I just want to understand - you want them to promote you as a 1MM flier to a tier above what you used to get but it's ok for us 2MM to get nothing over what we used to get? Interesting how self serving all these things get isn't it.
With the promotion, what do you think the current iteration is doing for CO MM fliers? Promoting them to a status 1 level above what they used to get as CO MM. And with the 2MM with the current (until end of 2011) UA you get Gold (PE) and UC membership, with this new proposed you get 1 level above what UA currently does and maintain the UC Membership for life. I think that is quite fair.

It is a win-win situation I think. Keeps the 1MM and 2MM second from the top which they have been in the past behind 1K. Restores balance to the system, at least as far as status goes. And I would love to get both the spouse and CR-1's (or SWU's) but if they at least make it a choice it will appease a larger percentage of people than forcing one.

Now to just get the 100% RDM elite bonus reinstated, but that is for the whole program, not just MM so I think that is a different battle.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I should have said there is no longer an incentive for MOST passengers to attempt to achieve million-mile status, obviously, not all.
-
I suppose if you consider the universe of passengers to be every passenger in the world, sure. Or even every passenger on any given UA flight, you're probably right... MOST will never fly over 500k to ever consider MM.

However, if you were to look at those passengers that felt incentivized under the old program, such as 5 year 1Ks (like myself), not clear how you could say that MOST no longer have an incentive to get MM. Are you basing this on the vocal minority that have posted on this thread and those that have privately PM'd you? Have you talked to a representative sample of non FTers that meet that criteria?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.