Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Lots of happy new MMers around the boards today, seems it'd be wise to screencap the lifetime miles to ensure that they get the last round of upgrades. UA did the adjustment well in my eyes - doing it before year end so those folks would get the last set of upgrades.
I crossed the threshold but still listed as Member so don't think we will be seeing the upgrades which is what UAInsider said.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lots of happy new MMers around the boards today, seems it'd be wise to screencap the lifetime miles to ensure that they get the last round of upgrades. UA did the adjustment well in my eyes - doing it before year end so those folks would get the last set of upgrades.
not according to UA -- they specifically covered this

Effect on current Million Miler benefits
Any member who currently holds Million Mile Flyer status in MileagePlus or Million Miler status in OnePass, or if they earn it before December 31, 2011, they will enjoy the status and benefits corresponding to their current program through December 31, 2011.

A MileagePlus member who currently holds Million Mile Flyer status in MileagePlus, or who earns it before December 31, 2011, will enjoy the status and benefits corresponding to the current MileagePlus Million Mile Flyer program until the 2012 program takes effect.
January 1, 2012, will be the final deposit of Systemwide Upgrades for new (through December 31, 2011) MileagePlus Million Mile Flyers and Regional Upgrades for current 2011 MileagePlus Million Mile Flyers.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not according to UA -- they specifically covered this
But you notice the line about systemwides? It says through, not before. More UA inconsistencies in typing.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:13 pm

Actually, the “one time” adjustment is premature. It should have been posted after flights taken on December 31 and prior have been posted to the customer’s account.

Passengers who are flying on UA today whose flights are not yet posted and/or passengers who have already flown on UA but whose flights are yet to be posted are currently looking at a lifetime figure that is inaccurate.

Taking a screen shot of the account is not meaningful because of the possible missing flights together with the unverifiable addition to the account of miles in transit.

Miles that are flown today or prior but not yet posted could determine if someone reaches million-mile status under the old rules (if the passenger is close to one-million miles). Those miles could determine who gets the million-mile upgrades (3 SWUs and 2 CR-1s - old rules) or who does not get them (new rules).
-
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is one benefit I would like to see added to all the MM levels and would cost UA absolutely nothing. When people retire they may not fly much anymore, so how about making MMer miles never expire. This would be so easy for them to do and would really benefit people who did the time but are now scaling back to enjoy the benefits of that time. This would be in addition to other benefits, not a replacement for any
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Baze
There is one benefit I would like to see added to all the MM levels and would cost UA absolutely nothing. When people retire they may not fly much anymore, so how about making MMer miles never expire. This would be so easy for them to do and would really benefit people who did the time but are now scaling back to enjoy the benefits of that time. This would be in addition to other benefits, not a replacement for any
That would mean that as a million miler in 18 months you never redeem a ticket, fly a paid ticket, use a rental car, credit a hotel, or use a credit card. If you've flown a million miles on UA it is so easy to keep the account active.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
That would mean that as a million miler in 18 months you never redeem a ticket, fly a paid ticket, use a rental car, credit a hotel, or use a credit card. If you've flown a million miles on UA it is so easy to keep the account active.
You are thinking too short term. I'm referring to after you retire. You won't always be flying 100K every year until you die, at least I won't. You've spent years building up this stockpile of miles, now its time to settle down, you've retired. You may not use miles fast enough to keep them active. After retiring I could easily see going 18 months without redeeming a ticket, renting a car, staying in a hotel and not everyone has a mileage earning credit card. I don't, I prefer fee free cards that earn cash back.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Retroactive Lifetime Miles Credited today

I happened to look at my MP account twice today. And between this morning and this evening, my Lifetime Miles account (informally known as BIS) picked up an extra 160K miles. I had not tried to calculate how much credit I would receive for EQM bonus and the other categories we were told would be retroactively credited. I was very happily surprised - both by the amount of the credit and how quickly it was posted. I'm now at 875K Lifetime miles! I have a lot of travel planned for next year, so I anticipate hitting MM by mid 2013. My spouse is looking forward to having 1K status when she travels by herself.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tvhead
I'm now at 875K Lifetime miles!
The "adjustment" is being discussed here and here.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Fredd

The "adjustment" is being discussed here and here.
-
The end of the year is here. Many flyertalk members seem distracted and pleased by the increase in their lifetime miles based on the “adjustment” posted to their accounts today.

However, let us not forget that there is still no announcement from the new UA management concerning rescinding some of the drastic demotions to the benefits of the million-mile program.

Worse still, is the fact that there is no further mention of the breach of the promises to million-mile flyers concerning the three SWUs upon attaining a million miles and two annual CR-1s thereafter each year.

Moreover, built into the demotions to the million-mile benefits is clear discrimination with respect to the “take it or leave it” spouse “benefit” inaptly touted as something we all should like. At the least, we should have been offered a choice of either the spouse or CR-1s. Widowed and single members are completely left out of this so-called benefit that took away the CR-1s.

In the final analysis of the demotions (short of those who want the spouse benefit), there is a marked reduction in any incentive to achieve million-mile status considering the only benefit after reaching this grueling achievement is the spouse “benefit” and the lifetime “gold” status.

Let’s not forget that the new UA management reduced our bonus miles by 50%. They also reduced our status to third place in the elite pecking order for upgrades.

Don’t let the premature posting increases in the lifetime miles cause anyone to forget about the demotions and breached promises in connection with the million-mile program.

Now that the main benefits of million-mile status were taken away by the new UA management, there is little incentive to earn million-miles on UA.

Of course, there will be the usual few who come out here and contradict the information in this post.

My answer to those who disagree is that we were demoted no matter how you want to present it and we were misled by the FAQs announcements that appeared on united.com for nearly one year promising that nothing would change and that the two CR-1s would continue.

It is no wonder that AA’s marketing department is seriously contemplating a status match for UA customers rather than a challenge considering the quantity of UA customers who have contacted AA asking for this. Quite simply, loyalty is a two-way situation. Based on what has happened to the million-mile program, it appears that customer loyalty means little to nothing to the new UA management.

In summary, other than the spouse benefit and the gold status, what incentive is there to remain loyal to UA? Even if you reach two million, what more will you have? 75% bonus miles instead of 50%!
-
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Thumbs up

Went from 610K to 965K, nice to see all those *A flights getting counted. Should need only about 20K to make the 1MM status after the UA/CO accounts are merged!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Baze
As I said in an ealier post, for us original 1MMs we did receive a letter saying that our miles will never expire. But later UA just chose to forget it and have never responded to inquiries.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Brasila

It is really hard to take the new UA as an ethical corporation after it breaks it's promise to UA MM'ers regarding lifetime benefits.
-
Agree, without question - what is good for the goose is good for the gander -
-
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: 1K, UA 2 MM
I see now that I am at 2.096 MM. I'm pleased with that but so frustrated to have wasted the opportunity for lifetime GS by flying about 800k miles on TWA and having all those miles go poof by not tracking what happened during their bankruptcy, flying AA exclusively for 4 years and Delta for about 4 years. Had I continued my allegiance to United 4 MM would be at the door step.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

It is no wonder that AA’s marketing department is seriously contemplating a status match for UA customers rather than a challenge considering the quantity of UA customers who have contacted AA asking for this. Quite simply, loyalty is a two-way situation.
Hope CO management is listening. I will take the bite and go to the dAArk side for some of my premium international flights if status match is given. Frankly, this is not just a loyalty issue, but UA international is getting worse (if one is paying $ for it).

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
In summary, other than the spouse benefit and the gold status, what incentive is there to remain loyal to UA? Even if you reach two million, what more will you have? 75% bonus miles instead of 50%!
-
Agree 100%!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.