Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oenophilist
In many cases they do represent actual miles flown on *A airlines, to places that UA doesn't fly. I realize that it was sarcastic, but my point is that you are suggesting those that reached MM status based on the recalculation are not as worthy because they didn't sacrifice by being BIS. I would argue that they did fly BIS on partner airlines because they were loyal to UA. In addition, people that fly UA based out of a non-hub are more loyal and sacrifice more than people who fly UA based out of a hub, but we don't say that hub-based people didn't earn their MM because they had little choice but to fly UA.
+1

Couldn't agree with this statement more. Virtually all my miles are BIS. Just that the bump that put me over 1MM happened to be on other *A and those are only because UA did not fly to the places I needed to be, if they did I would have flown United. I earned every bit of my now 1.14MM. I would say < 2% of my miles are from any DEQM or COS bonuses. The tickets were all bought on 016 stock though and if there was any leg that could be on UA it was.

Last edited by Baze; Jan 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I flew twice a month from RDU to someplace in Eastern Europe. The first two legs were on UA metal, the final one to two legs were on partner metal. Are you seriously arguing that this is NOT being loyal to UA??? Try 12 months of being bussed to your plane at FRA and tell me that this is not loyalty. UA made plenty of money off of these flights, not the least of which because they were ticketed through UA. ...
In case of the JV TATAL with LH and TPAC with ANA, yes UA shares the reveuene. In the case of most other *A flights, UA gets nothing or a few bucks for the ticketing fees if UA coded ticket. UA probably makes more from the purchase of miles from the *A partners then it does for ticketing fees.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Gratitude for "extraordinary, long-term loyalty" has a short shelf-life

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Where is the loyalty? I cannot see any bonafide loyalty related to a customer choosing to maintain their miles in one frequent flyer program for future use.
-
UA outlines it here:

"The MileagePlus® Million Miller program will reward members for extraordinary, long-term loyalty to United, Continental and Copa...

"...Starting January 1, 2012, flight miles on the new United (including Continental), Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia will accrue toward Million Miler status..."
Apparently UA doesn't consider it "extraordinary, long-term loyalty" to fly other carriers either going forward.

We all understand why UA is doing this one-time bump-up to merge programs but I'd never claim I was demonstrating loyalty to UA when I flew other carriers and credited the miles to my MP account. I was putting my eggs in one basket and watching the basket carefully.

I flew twice a month from RDU to someplace in Eastern Europe. The first two legs were on UA metal, the final one to two legs were on partner metal. Are you seriously arguing that this is NOT being loyal to UA??? Try 12 months of being bussed to your plane at FRA and tell me that this is not loyalty. UA made plenty of money off of these flights, not the least of which because they were ticketed through UA.

I think a lot of people here have a domestic flight mentality.
We've completed a fairly significant number of such flights booked through the UA website, including one in our earlier days that had us booked JFK-VIE on OS rather than through FRA or MUC on UA.

We've also flown LH, SA, and AC long-haul for a variety of reasons but I wouldn't claim I was showing loyalty to UA by crediting my miles to MP. YMMV.

It's easier for us to view things through our own perspective rather than that of others. Sharing perspectives and perceptions through FT is one of its greatest benefits. ^
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd

It's easier for us to view things through our own perspective rather than that of others. Sharing perspectives and perceptions through FT is one of its greatest benefits. ^
Very true. And all I ask is both sides of the argument stop trying to tell the other side they are wrong. Some people will like the new, some people will hate the new. We are a small community and there is no way any of us can come up with the data to keep saying Most or Many. We can only go by what is said in these posts. So unless someone is actually going to each airport and asking each FF their opinion it is unrealistic to say you know that Most one side or the other think something. Polls are the most ridiculous thing ever created by man. There is no way asking 1000 people a question can accurately display the feelings of the entire populous. I can do a poll and ask the same question to 2 different groups and come up with completely different results. Discussing the facts of the program is what this forum is all about.

I commend that Ozstamps is running with the proposed changes with UA. But to think UA would have made a choice on them in a week is unrealistic. They may very well be looking at the suggestions in depth to see how one change or the other changes the bottom line dollar. I am confident we will see tweeks and adjustments. But I don't expect to see them overnight. And if I had not been prodding Ozstamps to look more big picture I don't know if uastarflyer (hope that's right) might not have posted their proposal. That's how this should be working. Not just complaining that it is wrong. We will never get back what UA had before so the best solution is to come up with solutions which is what happened and now UA is looking at them. They can tell some are happy and some are upset (I refuse to say most, many, all, etc) with the program as it stands now. So we will see what happens as they digest the proposals. And if they come back and say sorry, not changing anything I wonder how many of the upset ones will do what they threaten. walk to another airline. Time will tell.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
I agree, my main point is that there are lots of folks out there that flew *A carriers specifically due to loyalty to UA, and hence were recipients of the bump. To diminish these folks (which include me) is wrong for exactly the reason you state.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree, my main point is that there are lots of folks out there that flew *A carriers specifically due to loyalty to UA, and hence were recipients of the bump. To diminish these folks (which include me) is wrong for exactly the reason you state.
And what about those of us that flew *A flights to destinations that UA doesn't serve? When those flights are marketed by UA and have a UA flight #, why should I get UA credit?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:41 pm

I flew twice a month from RDU to someplace in Eastern Europe. The first two legs were on UA metal, the final one to two legs were on partner metal. Are you seriously arguing that this is NOT being loyal to UA??? Try 12 months of being bussed to your plane at FRA and tell me that this is not loyalty. UA made plenty of money off of these flights, not the least of which because they were ticketed through UA.
In the situation you described above, there is UA loyalty because, as you said, the flights were ticketed through UA and your trip was partly on UA. In this case, UA would share revenue and you would be demonstrating UA loyalty.

What I meant in my post (that you cited) is a routine and common example of a passenger purchasing a ticket from Air Canada (or any other Star Alliance carrier) and flying non stop from LAX to YUL but crediting the miles to UA. UA does not have non stop flight from my city to YUL.

In this instance, UA made no money and was required to recognize expense for the miles credited to my mileage plus account. This sort of example occurs often when there is no UA flight involved and when the ticketing is not with UA. In these cases, there is no UA loyalty.

Another example is the "adjustment" that was posted yesterday. Several times I purchased a non stop flight on Swiss from LAX to Zurich (UA does not have a non stop from my city). I purchased the ticket from Swiss but credited my miles to UA. I got credit for the miles each time I made the trip.

UA had to recognize expense each time my account was credited for the Swiss miles posted to my UA FF account. There was no UA loyalty involved with my trips to Zurich.

Yesterday, my lifetime miles were increased because of the Swiss trips (and other Star Alliance trips) even though UA got absolutely no financial benefit from those trips.

In each instance, I credited my miles to UA solely because I prefer that I keep my Star Alliance miles in one account - which is with UA.

There is no loyalty when I take a Star Alliance carrier and pay that carrier for the trip and credit my miles to UA.

In your case that you described, there was loyalty in mine there was not.

In the end, it all depends on facts and circumstances whether UA loyalty is involved.

Another way to explain it would be to say that the "adjustment" that most of us got yesterday had nothing to do with loyalty unless there a portion of the trip on UA or the ticketing was with UA.

My "adjustment" yesterday amounted to several hundred thousand miles, none of which was ticketed with UA, thus there was no loyalty involved with the "adjustment". This means that my "lifetime" miles shown in my UA mileage plus account is, at a minimum, misleading.
-
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Spouse/companion level recognition

Is anyone's spouse showing your level yet?

Originally Posted by hans
Still work to be done behind the scenes - I clicked over to MM status this morning but when I go to add my wife under the "companion benefit," it says I'm not a "million miler yet."
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChicagoUnited
The benefits for going over due to the adjustment are not in effect yet. This is only the first sweep of the adjustment. The benefits and status will go into effect sometime on the next 3 months. when they combine the CO miles (if you have any) into the total.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
My "adjustment" yesterday amounted to several hundred thousand miles, none of which was ticketed with UA, thus there was no loyalty involved with the "adjustment". This means that my "lifetime" miles shown in my UA mileage plus account is, at a minimum, misleading.
-
Every single flight I took on a *A partner flight over the past 10 years was ticketed through United, to locations that United didn't serve. You might think your "lifetime" mileage is flawed, but mine isn't.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChicagoUnited
Update. The status has kicked in. I am now showing as Premier Executive whereas an hour ago I was still just a Member. Was able to nominate the wife too. Her new status is not showing yet but the nomination said it was successful. Probably take a bit for her new status to show.

This is not happening the way UAInsider said it would.

But hey, I can start my new job Jan 9th that will involve a lot of travel and have status again instead of being a nobody. All those years of 1K have paid off.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Every single flight I took on a *A partner flight over the past 10 years was ticketed through United, to locations that United didn't serve. You might think your "lifetime" mileage is flawed, but mine isn't.
To be really loyal to UA, you have to fly only to places that UA does serve.

Joking aside, we have some of each, flights booked through the UA site that involve other carriers, and TATL flights (LH, SA, AC) that we've booked independently. It's very much YMMV depending on individual flying patterns.

I'm glad that we made screen shots yesterday of our actual UA BIS miles before the bump-ups were added, if only for sentimental reasons.

I also notice my buddy ua1flyer was bumped up "only" 3MM, a much lower % than many others report. Now that's loyalty to UA.

Originally Posted by Baze
But hey, I can start my new job Jan 9th that will involve a lot of travel and have status again instead of being a nobody. All those years of 1K have paid off.
^ I'm really pleased for you. That's great!
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by hans
Still work to be done behind the scenes - I clicked over to MM status this morning but when I go to add my wife under the "companion benefit," it says I'm not a "million miler yet."
Update - wife is now closer to matching status. Message on revisiting MM screen and inputting her number reads

"Your companion has been successfully enrolled

Congratulations your companion will receive MileagePlus status at the same Premier level you enjoy, starting in late first quarter 2012. We look forward to welcoming you both onboard soon."
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Update. Was able to nominate the wife too. Her new status is not showing yet but the nomination said it was successful. Probably take a bit for her new status to show.
How did you nominate your wife? Can you point to a link someplace or explain the process? Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
How did you nominate your wife? Can you point to a link someplace or explain the process? Thanks.
http://www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.