Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
It seems that we have heard this all before (again & again & again)

How about adding something new to the thread
We also here a lot of the same arguments offered in defense of CObdaUA. What's wrong with equal time?

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent

To be honest, I would be in your shoes if I didn't fly the actual mileage.
Hey, don't forget about those of us who chose to fly UA over the past 10 years when it was more expensive and less convenient than the alternative, trying to reach 1MM, because it used to mean something. We also have a dog in this fight, even if we didn't reach 1MM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The way I see it, unless you achieved Million Miler status by having paid and flown 1,000,000 ACTUAL miles on a awful, dirty stinky seat and not by charging groceries, gas or buying a suit, I truly believe you are able to relate. You just can't, it's impossible.
If it was s terrible why did you keep going back for mre? Take a step back and think about what you're arguing here!

Regarding miles flown on CO vs. UA, the recalibration remedies that. It's really far beyond the time to be divisive. We're all customers of a single entity. If you have complaints about the new program then complain away, but please stop complaining that it was all so terrible for all those years.

I'm still wondering, tthough. what changes will be acceptable to you after your victory?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Regarding miles flown on CO vs. UA, the recalibration remedies that. It's really far beyond the time to be divisive. We're all customers of a single entity. If you have complaints about the new program then complain away, but please stop complaining that it was all so terrible for all those years.
It wasn't terrible, it was just more expensive and inconvenient, because we were amassing miles based on the rules in place at the time striving for the benefits in place at the time. UA has changed the game, made people unhappy, and has a generally poor job in explaining the rationale for what they did. That's why many people are complaining, and IMHO, we have every right to.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by halls120
It wasn't terrible, it was just more expensive and inconvenient, because we were amassing miles based on the rules in place at the time striving for the benefits in place at the time. UA has changed the game, made people unhappy, and has a generally poor job in explaining the rationale for what they did. That's why many people are complaining, and IMHO, we have every right to.
Nobody has said you have no right to complain. Of curse you do!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brasila
IMHO the recalibration remedies nothing. It makes it even worse for me. Can they send a printout (like a bank, phone company, credit card company, etc would) of what and how they recalibrated?

I have been with UA since 1986 and have over 1.6 million in-the-seat miles with them alone not counting LH, SAS, etc. I received around 100,000 recalibrated miles. Paltry sum for me for what they so greedily and dishonestly took away!

I have my whole flight history since 1986 with UA. I have no idea what years, what flights, what fares, and what credit card charges they used? It is a big mystery to me and makes me even more skeptical, irritated and feeling cheated since some people who have flown only a few years are reporting they received 500,000 plus in recalibrated miles.

There is something that is not right in River City and the new UA with the most professional people (???????) in the business do not want to be professional and send me printed out information on how they recalculated my account. And when I call they have no idea how that number was arrived at. What the hell gives anyway? Possibly bait and switch advertising policies!!!!
If you have your whole flight history with UA, here's what you do:
Total your EQM for all years (through 12/31/11), subtract the BIS for all years (through 12/31/11), that's your recalibration.

You don't need a printout from UA.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Can someone please state what the MP former PROMISES made to us for hitting 1MM, 2MM, 3MM

I can't find the booklet. I know that upon hitting 1MM we got two systemwides and then every year we would get two domestics. We also got lifetime Premier Executive status.

As for xyzzy, I think that they should give those who were going for 1MM or 2MM status with United BEFORE the recalibration should be offered to chose if they want the new system or the old. If people choose the new, then fine, if they chose the old, then take back the recalibration and then at 1MM=the new 2MM 2MM=the new 3MM, etc. Since it seems to be about equal. The spouse benefit is a joke since I am single and when I travel with someone they get my benefits.

You mentioned to quit complaining - Just one example: United had one of the worst business class products on both "ponds" for decades up until the retrofit - this includes the days when int't business class were those awful gold seats. When I could have flown British Airways, I flew on United instead. That's what I mean. Decisions were made to fly on United to get 1MM status.

UG
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by halls120
We also here a lot of the same arguments offered in defense of CObdaUA. What's wrong with equal time?

Hey, don't forget about those of us who chose to fly UA over the past 10 years when it was more expensive and less convenient than the alternative, trying to reach 1MM, because it used to mean something. We also have a dog in this fight, even if we didn't reach 1MM.
Excellent point!!! When CO was peanuts we were paying mucho more $$$
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
IMHO the recalibration remedies nothing. It makes it even worse for me.
Oh please. If there is one piece of this where UA has been completely transparent it is on the recalibration. It had one purpose only - to resolve the 2 different MM miles counting algorithms across PMUA and PMCO. They are very specific on the preview site about what miles went into the uplift for UA flyers. As pointed out it is the difference between EQMs that BIS for the relevant years. If they somehow got yours wrong then go talk to them about fixing it - it isn't an issue of opinion, it's one of fact. EQMs vs BIS. If you read the thread here most folks seem to think they got either what they expected or a bit more. I had done the calculation based on my records (which were good but not perfect) and I had slightly underestimated the uplift. Probably late in year EQM differences since I tend to get a bit sloppy with records once I know they won't change anything late in a qualification year. So if there was an error of fact have it fixed but if you just wish they had dropped more miles on you then it's hard to sympathize.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:05 am

Never say never....there have been a few times that UA FFer's got UA to back down from policy changes they implemented. The new UA would be really smart to suck it up and grandfather the benefits that UA MMer's had before. It would create lasting goodwill and also be the right thing to do. This is what a company that was truly "the best in the business" (to quote JS) would do IMHO!
I just do not understand how a UACO gesture of continuing the 2CR1s annually could be so difficult!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: UAL 1.8MM/1K and AA Exec/Plat.
Why are Prem. Exec benefits being reduced after merger?

Am I correct that if you were 1 million mile flyer on UAL before merger, you were lifetime Prem. Exec. member with 100% bonus miles. Now after merger, it seems like you are now Gold member getting 50% bonus miles. Is that true, and if so, it sounds like UAL is decreasing and not increasing benefits. AA still gives 100% bonus miles to its Platinum members, which is equivalent to Prem. Exec. level, what gives? I have flown 1.666 million miles on UAL and am not happy. May go to AA.

Last edited by michael13; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:49 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Exactly Michael13

Originally Posted by michael13
Am I correct that if you were 1 million mile flyer on UAL before merger, you were lifetime Prem. Exec. member with 100% bonus miles. Now after merger, it seems like you are now Gold member getting 50% bonus miles. Is that true, and if so, it sounds like UAL is decreasing and not increasing benefits. AA still gives 100% bonus miles to its Platinum members, which is equivalent to Prem. Exec. level, what gives? I have flown 1.666 million miles on UAL and am not happy. May go to AA.
I agree with you...I am well on my way toward Lifetime Gold (about halfway to 1MM), but the new Gold reduction in bonus miles to 50% from 100% is a BIG deal.

That is why I posted this yesterday:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17910077-post2465.html

For those who don't want to click, it reads:

A few years back, after AA essentially abandoned SJC as a west-coast hub (discontinuing several non-stops that were important to me, including SJC-BOS, SJC-JFK, and SJC-NRT), I made the conscious decision to move my business to UA. SFO is only slightly more inconvenient than SJC, but the massive number of non-stops more than make up for it.

I have been generally happy with UA (3 years of Prem Exec, 1 year of 1K), but these changes (both the MM and the annual achieved levels) are atrocious and uncompetitive. Thankfully, I had earned Lifetime Platinum on AA and am moving my business back to AA for long-haul flights. I've booked 8 paid flights so far for 2012; 3 of which are on AA; 3 on WN; and 2 on VX. I've booked 2 award flights on UA (burning off miles).

If we vote with our feet, maybe UA will get the hint. They have no reason to bend on the changes if all we do is complain but simultaneously continue to book and fly on UA.

I'm on strike.

I am voting with my feet (and my wallet). UA simply won't see my $$ going forward. If enough of us followed suit, Smisek and friends would have to pay attention. Otherwise, what is their incentive to change if everyone simply complains but continues to book and fly UA?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can someone please state what the MP former PROMISES made to us for hitting 1MM, 2MM, 3MM
circa Oct 2010
1 Million Mile Rewards
When you have flown one million lifetime base flight miles on United and United Express, you are rewarded with some exclusive benefits including:
Premier Executive status for life. Learn about the benefits
Two (2) Regional Upgrades at the end of every year
Three (3) Systemwide Upgrades to use for a one-class, one-way upgrade on United or United Express flights to any destination we fly worldwide, subject to United Airlines terms and conditions.

2 Million Mile Rewards
Upon reaching two million United lifetime base flight miles on United and United Express, you are invited to enjoy these additional rewards:
Complimentary annual membership to the United Red Carpet Club for life
Your choice of an exclusive gift
Four (4) Systemwide Upgrades to use for a one-class, one-way upgrade on United or United Express flights to any destination we fly worldwide, subject to terms and conditions.

3 Million Mile Rewards
Once you have flown three million lifetime base flight miles on United and United Express, your exceptional loyalty will be rewarded with the following.
1K status for life Learn about the benefits
Four (4) Systemwide Upgrades to use for a one-class, one-way upgrade on United or United Express flights to any destination we fly worldwide, subject to terms and conditions.

4 Million Mile Rewards
Once you have flown four million and beyond lifetime base flight miles on United and United Express, your exceptional loyalty will be rewarded with the following.
Personalized upgrades of status

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Please tell me if y'all feel differently. I'm setting up www.millionmilersunitel.com www.facebook.com/millionmilersunited and www.change.org/members/millionmilersunited - it's not quite ready, working on it! This week I should be done.

The important thing is that these changes effect EVERYONE not just MMilers.

We have to collectively, as one voice, tell United what would make us happy. I think that United's members should be given a choice whether they want the "new" program with the recalibration and it's benefits or if they were close to a million actual miles (or 2MM, 3MM, etc.) they can keep on pursuing it.

For example, with the new recalibration I went over 2MM. I would rather have them take that back and allow me to get to 2MM myself. BUT and there's a but, 1MM [actual] = the new 2 MM benefits, 2MM [actual] = the new 3 MM benefits and finally 3MM [actual] = the new 4MM benefits. And to me this isnt a windfall, it's what we were promised all these years. I believe none of us wants something for nothing; we just want to be made whole.

I think the most important thing is the downgrading of 1MM in the pecking order. With the recalibration, the program must be flooded with "psuedo-elite" members esp at the Premier Exec level. It has to be.

Those who chose the "old" gives up the companion for the two upgrades. The 100% to 50% bonus miles is whatever.

This I'm sure would make most of us happy - if United said "okay here's what we can do", I think it would be reasonable.

UG

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
circa oct 2010
Steam coming out of my ears. We're the system wides yearly or a one time thing for hitting the milestone?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm Reason: merge

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes

Originally Posted by michael13

yes, the value of UA 1P/Gold has gone down.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Steam coming out of my ears. We're the system wides yearly or a one time thing for hitting the milestone?
The SWU were for hitting the threashold levels -- just one time. The Regionals were every year (one you passed 1MM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.