Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
question for those who have received the 25k bonus after first spend....i know the t&c say 6-8 weeks for the points to post but is it really taking that long????
I got my bonus at the end of the billing period in which I first used the card.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: Lotz
Biz Card Churn?

I know that people who got the CO OnePassPlus card after 7/19 will be ineligible for the new signup bonus from the Explorer. But what about the business card? I assume that CO business cards will be converted to UA business cards but is there also a deadline after which new bonus's for the UA biz card will not be honored?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
How Long for United Club Passes to Show Up?

I signed up for the new Chase card - received card in August, and the 50K bonus miles in late September, but no sign of the two United Club one-time passes. Any one know how long they take to show up?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by umustbjokim
I signed up for the new Chase card - received card in August, and the 50K bonus miles in late September, but no sign of the two United Club one-time passes. Any one know how long they take to show up?
From the T&Cs (bolding mine):

Two United Club Passes:
Please allow 2 – 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year for delivery. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.

Originally Posted by RNE
This means you're little better off than the first-in-line of the Kettles, who will be hot on your heels as you hurry down the jetway, glancing back nervously at the onrushing hoard. That prickly feeling on the back of your neck will command your quaking legs to make haste; the welcoming sight of the airplane's open door cannot come into view fast enough! There's one last bend in that seemingly interminable jetway! Around it you fly! There it is! The open door! You're home free!

But no. There too is the throng of Premiers before you; they are boarding slowly. Agonizingly slowly, as they seek out and consume every last cubic manometer of overhead bin space. You skid to a stop behind them, your heart beating, your palms sweating. You look back, fear etched upon your perspiring face. They're coming! Ma and Pa Kettle and their 40 kin, come clomping and cavorting and cajoling down the jetway. Closer and closer they come. In a moment, before you know it, they consume you. You are suddenly lost in a swath of suburban banality. You feel your legs fail, your spirit falter, your mind numb. Your last thought is a horrible, aching one: "I hate you, Explorer Card!"
Very funny!

But even though priority boarding is after elites, you're still boarding earlier than more than half the plane.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
From the T&Cs (bolding mine):

Two United Club Passes:
Please allow 2 – 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year for delivery. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
So, does that mean I don't get in Yr 0 - have to wait for first anniversary?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by umustbjokim
So, does that mean I don't get in Yr 0 - have to wait for first anniversary?
Correct (which is also when you first pay the annual fee of $95 since you don't pay in Year 0).
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:26 pm
RNE

Very funny!
Thank you.

But even though priority boarding is after elites, you're still boarding earlier than more than half the plane.
So are gate lice Kettles.

RNE, concluding, "The Explorer card's boarding benefit is phantasmagorical, a cruel hoax Jeff and Jaimie are LTAO over."
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Got my offer today, sweeten the pot Unite.
For now I pass
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
imo, MP Signature is $95, you get 3miles/$ on UA tickets is better, "miles won't expire" b/c you buy one thing of the card and 18mos is extended.

The 10k miles is nice. Though if going towards elite status, you get 5k EQMs for the Sig. card.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:35 am

I already have a continental cc card. Can I still open up a united mileageplus account and sign up for the united mileageplus explorer card and earn the miles from the united cc card and then combine both my mileage accounts early next year? i know that eventually my continental card will be rebranded to united so i will likely cancel that one early next year (which will be near the time of renewal thus saving me the yearly $85 fee).
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:51 pm

It was rumored this card will have significant signup bonus in the beginning of this month. Is it still happening?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:55 pm

Same question. I have been waiting for a better offer. Any updates?

Originally Posted by untamed
It was rumored this card will have significant signup bonus in the beginning of this month. Is it still happening?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by alzora
I already have a continental cc card. Can I still open up a united mileageplus account and sign up for the united mileageplus explorer card and earn the miles from the united cc card and then combine both my mileage accounts early next year? i know that eventually my continental card will be rebranded to united so i will likely cancel that one early next year (which will be near the time of renewal thus saving me the yearly $85 fee).
If you got the CO card before the 7/19/11 release date of the United Explorer card you can get a United Explorer card with its bonus (without having to cancel the CO card you already have). I have done this.

If you wait till the CO card converts to a United Explorer then I assume you will be out of luck in getting a bonus for a new (second) United Explorer card.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: CO, Delta, British Airways, Jetblue
I have the MP United Signature Card that is coming up for renewal this month. I also have the CO Onepass Plus Card that will expire early next year. I was going to cancel the United card when it came up for renewal, but then realized that I get the 5,000 mile annual bonus and started to reconsider.

I was thinking of keeping one of the cards for at least another year, not sure which is better though. I imagine my CO card will get converted to the Explorer card, which I'm not sure I want or need to happen.

I'm not a "Frequent Flyer" and don't have status - but do fly a bunch of times a year and I'm thinking the 5,000 miles plus not having to pay the baggage fees would make the MP United Visa Signature the best option for me.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cdm115
I have the MP United Signature Card that is coming up for renewal this month. I also have the CO Onepass Plus Card that will expire early next year. I was going to cancel the United card when it came up for renewal, but then realized that I get the 5,000 mile annual bonus and started to reconsider.

I was thinking of keeping one of the cards for at least another year, not sure which is better though. I imagine my CO card will get converted to the Explorer card, which I'm not sure I want or need to happen.

I'm not a "Frequent Flyer" and don't have status - but do fly a bunch of times a year and I'm thinking the 5,000 miles plus not having to pay the baggage fees would make the MP United Visa Signature the best option for me.

Any thoughts?
I too got the 5,000 upgrade letter in the mail. I have two United branded cards, and this one was offering to upgrade my gray signature card. It had a nice diagram on the back of the pamphlet describing the benefits of each card. The only thing that the MP Explorer card would get me that I don't already get would be upgrades on reward tickets. Then again, I rarely use my miles for UA award redemptions. Not sure if it's a good deal for me or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.