Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Baze
Not totally true. My mother has an old MP Signature card. She was offered 10K miles to upgrade to the Explorer card. Was a targeted email. So calling may result in something.
Hmm, I am still on the Plat Visa card, so unlikely to get this offer since this has less annual fee.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If I have the OnePass Plus card, and applied for the Explorer (with my MP#), and was approved, but don't make my first purchase until after Jan 1, will I still get 50K bonus miles?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Should be fine... As long as your card is approved.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Help me - was I dreaming about this double mile bonus offer during the holidays? I can't find it online anywhere now - but I received something in the mail which I discarded!

I thought it was a current promo for existing cardholders of double miles on spend until January and I wanted to know if that extends to plane tickets bought on united.com? In other words is it now 3 points per dollar spent on united.com under this promo?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Similar to a previous question, but not exactly...

I have the UA Explorer card (approved in August and in use since then, already received the 50,000 miles in my UA account) and remember reading that an approval for the One Pass Plus would not bring a second set of bonus miles if the application was made later than last July (IOW not possible to get the bonus miles for BOTH cards). Is that still the case? Or is it once again possible to apply (got a targeted eMail with 50,000 offer from CO/Chase) and get the OPP 50,000 miles, already having received the Explorer miles?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:28 pm

I just activated the explorer card and the agent mentioned that I would get elite qualifying miles for award tickets! I asked if she had any more details, but that was all the info she had. Has anyone else heard about this? Definitely seems too good to be true, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:29 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Henwurst
I just activated the explorer card and the agent mentioned that I would get elite qualifying miles for award tickets! I asked if she had any more details, but that was all the info she had. Has anyone else heard about this? Definitely seems too good to be true, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I hope it's true, but so much of what a we are told over the phone is—sad but true—unreliable.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henwurst
I wonder if award segments flown on UA/CO/CM metal will count towards the 4 segment requirement
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I wonder if award segments flown on UA/CO/CM metal will count towards the 4 segment requirement
According to the following post, it needs to be 4 paid segments.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post557.html
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
According to the following post, it needs to be 4 paid segments.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post557.html
I'm aware. This was in reference to the idea that award flights will earn EQMs. If that's indeed the case (which I highly doubt,) then perhaps they grant a waiver to Explorer card holders (provided they fly 4 segments). Both are ridiculous notions and likely not the case. It was more tongue-in-cheek than meaningful.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I have so far not responded to the various mailings inviting me to change from my UA Signature Visa card to the new Explorer Card, partly because I was curious to see what they would do with my account since my card expires the end of February. Well today they sent me a new card (good through 2015) and it is the same Tulip design, unchanged from the old card.

So if I choose to keep this card, the Tulip will live in my wallet for a few years still. :-)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Is there an "easy" way to combine my two chase cards (CO and UA) for just one new MP Explorer Card?

Also, was the question about the fee being waived for 1ks answered?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:27 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
So if I choose to keep this card, the Tulip will live in my wallet for a few years still. :-)
Live? Yes, perhaps. But for crying out loud, man, what kind of a life would it be!?

RNE, invoking PBS' The Victory Garden, "When tulips are confined to wallets, they lose the will to bloom."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by RNE
Live? Yes, perhaps. But for crying out loud, man, what kind of a life would it be!?

RNE, invoking PBS' The Victory Garden, "When tulips are confined to wallets, they lose the will to bloom."
Ah, but I'm sure I'll be taking out of my wallet on a regular basis so that it will get plenty of sun!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:59 pm

Looking at the Benefits guide of the MileagePlus Explorer,
in addition to the highlighted features,
looks like it has some perks that is even better than that of Sapphire Preferred's.

1) Price Protection

The MP Explorer will refund you the price difference within 90 days of purchase if you see it cheaper elsewhere, Online included! ( no eBay though )

( Up to $500 / item ) The Sapphire Preferred doesn't match Online.

2) Higher purchase Protection limits

MP Explorer reimburse up to $10,000 / claim if your purchase is stolen / damaged
Sapphire Preferred only covers a mere $500 / claim

3) Roadside Assistance

MP Explorer covers $50 / service call or ( 2 free gallon of gas if you ran out of gas )

While the Sapphire Preferred can help you find a tow truck, all charges is your responsibility.

4) Primary CDW for Car Rental

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.