Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by John Quint
That's what I get for typing things without double checking....correct URL for the card "was" http://chase.com/continentalsignature

Given the above, would you recommend switching to an Explorer or waiting?
Ah, gotcha. That's the link I use for my OnePass Plus.

It really depends. Are you elite? If so, the Explorer may not offer much. One of the big reasons I liked the OP Plus was the 50K bonus I got. You say that the bonus is of little consequence to you. (For example, I may try signing up for the Explorer card specifically for the 60K bonus being offered through MP.) If you're not elite, then the Explorer has the benefit of priority boarding, you can get the UC passes (2/year on the anniversary). If the bonus doesn't interest you, and you're elite, I suggest sticking with the cheaper annual fee.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Where do you see that you can get EQMs with the Explorer card? EQMs or Flex EQMs are not a benefit of the Explorer card. And you can purchase EQMs with elite maximizer, no need for a UA branded card.
I didn't see this in any of the marketing or T&C with this card-- but I was just told by a Mileage Plus customer service agent when I called in about a MR I was doing (and IRROPS required me to reroute) that an "ace in the hole" I had was to redeem 10,000 RDM for 1,000 EQM (something about a "choice" benefit) if I needed to by Dec 31st.

I was surprised and confirmed that he was talking about the Explorer card-- and he confirmed. Unfortunately, that will not be an option for me as I just got the card a couple weeks ago, and I don't think 10,000 RDM for 1,000 EQM is that great of a value, but this could be a great unpublished benefit!

Actually, FlyerTalkers confirm Mileage Plus choices EQM 10:1 trade:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...edition-4.html

Last edited by transparent; Dec 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm Reason: Link to other thread
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:06 pm

I haven't seen this question asked.

On an award flight reservation, if I pay for the taxes with the Explorer card will I get the free bag allowance?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass, AAdvantage
Here is a general question. Have people been successful in "converting" an existing card or account to the Explorer? Honestly, I don't have the need to have an additional card but wouldn't necessarily be against "switching" the account to it if possible. Anyone had any experience with this?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by John Quint
Here is a general question. Have people been successful in "converting" an existing card or account to the Explorer? Honestly, I don't have the need to have an additional card but wouldn't necessarily be against "switching" the account to it if possible. Anyone had any experience with this?
My mother got an email from Chase to convert her MP card to the Explorer card. Had this link to do the upgrade.

TheExplorerCard.com/Upgrade

Don't know if it works for everyone or only those that got the email. I went and it looks like it is looking for an invitation number but there is a link on that page for where to find the information.

Good luck.

Edited to add, her email did have a personalized invitation number on it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transparent
I didn't see this in any of the marketing or T&C with this card-- but I was just told by a Mileage Plus customer service agent when I called in about a MR I was doing (and IRROPS required me to reroute) that an "ace in the hole" I had was to redeem 10,000 RDM for 1,000 EQM (something about a "choice" benefit) if I needed to by Dec 31st.

I was surprised and confirmed that he was talking about the Explorer card-- and he confirmed. Unfortunately, that will not be an option for me as I just got the card a couple weeks ago, and I don't think 10,000 RDM for 1,000 EQM is that great of a value, but this could be a great unpublished benefit!

Actually, FlyerTalkers confirm Mileage Plus choices EQM 10:1 trade:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...edition-4.html
It seems this is a Choice benefit though, and not an Explorer benefit. (Unless I'm reading that incorrectly)

Originally Posted by lostone
I haven't seen this question asked.

On an award flight reservation, if I pay for the taxes with the Explorer card will I get the free bag allowance?
Yes
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
It seems this is a Choice benefit though, and not an Explorer benefit. (Unless I'm reading that incorrectly)

Yes
Oh, for some reason I thought this particular benefit was only available to cardholders? The page it's on seems to suggest that but I've never gone to this page before getting the card so I can't confirm.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:21 pm

e-mail 60K offer

Every time I'm on the UA site, logged into my MP account, the offer is 60K. Otherwise, it's 40K. (You need to be 2P/1P/1K for the 60 K)
I don't have any status these days and got a 60K Explorer offer in my email today. It's 50K for signing up and another 10K if I spend $24K in the first year.

We have UA travel coming up later this month -- award travel with the taxes already paid on a different card. I plan to call in advance and try to convince them to let me get the free-checked-bag perk on this trip. Does anyone have any helpful advice/magic words for that?

I was a little miffed to not get the club passes this year, but am pleased about this benefit, which I hadn't seen until I signed up: Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight. So yay.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I think my parents are getting this card. Perfect for them since they are relatively infrequent fliers who will not get elite status on a regular basis.

A couple questions:
1. Priority boarding is Group 1?
2. Has anyone had any success getting the higher 60K bonus offer by calling/emailing?
3. If you pay for FF tix taxes with your card, would one get free bags?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
I think my parents are getting this card. Perfect for them since they are relatively infrequent fliers who will not get elite status on a regular basis.

A couple questions:
1. Priority boarding is Group 1?

Yes

2. Has anyone had any success getting the higher 60K bonus offer by calling/emailing?

It doesn't hurt to try. Although I haven't heard of it with the Explorer, I know people successfully managed to get the 50K offer in liue of the 30K offer for the OnePass Plus card by calling/emailing

3. If you pay for FF tix taxes with your card, would one get free bags?

Yes

Thanks in advance!
No problem. My answers added in RED
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
No problem. My answers added in RED
Thank you. Great information to know.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:53 pm

Upgrade for getting Explorer card?

Roommate just texted me from EWR saying that that UACO was offering a free upgrade today if you applied for the Explorer card and were approved. He is on a plane so I didn't get more details. Can anyone confirm? Ridiculous if true.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:12 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by fragment54
Roommate just texted me from EWR saying that that UACO was offering a free upgrade today if you applied for the Explorer card and were approved. He is on a plane so I didn't get more details. Can anyone confirm? Ridiculous Fantastic if true.
Corrected that for you.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thinking of dropping my Explorer card. Am 1k so benefits are minimal, using Sapphire Preferred heavily. Probably better to get a similar card with another airline that I am not a FF on to get the bennies. Explorer is gathering dust in the draw.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Thinking of dropping my Explorer card. Am 1k so benefits are minimal, using Sapphire Preferred heavily. Probably better to get a similar card with another airline that I am not a FF on to get the bennies. Explorer is gathering dust in the draw.
Yeah, no point in the Explorer if you have high status - Sapphire Preferred is where it's at. Travel benefits are great and can transfer 1:1 to UAMP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.