FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1238514-chase-mp-explorer-card-q-benefits-bonuses-discussion.html)

UA Insider Jul 19, 2011 5:25 am

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
  • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
    Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).
  • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
  • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines

edcho Jul 19, 2011 5:27 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 16754913)
[*]Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).

Looks like elite boarding will be done via zoned boarding (hopefully very soon). :)

Would've liked more NEW information about the MP program though.

rch4u Jul 19, 2011 5:35 am

[*]Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

Is this benefit unique to cardholders or will all United elites be able to upgrade reward tickets in 2012? I don't see any mention of this benefit on the link you provided.

Billiken Jul 19, 2011 5:41 am

Fee Waiver

Scott:

Annual fee waiver for 1Ks?????

nova08 Jul 19, 2011 5:42 am

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 16754940)
Is this benefit unique to cardholders or will all United elites be able to upgrade reward tickets in 2012? I don't see any mention of this benefit on the link you provided.

It is likely unique to cardholders, similar to CO's policy now. Although hopefully next year it is processed a little better than it is now.

Michael D Jul 19, 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 16754940)

That would be nice. The waived check bag fee, free passes, priority boarding and never expiring miles is a non gain for FFs with minimal elite status and club membership.

Michael D Jul 19, 2011 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Billiken (Post 16754960)
Scott:

Annual fee waiver for 1Ks?????

It would be kinda mysterious why they would want to give $100s of dollars a year away to every kettle flyer and charge the 1Ks an annual fee.

GTHCGTH Jul 19, 2011 5:57 am

So, for the perspective of a 1k:

Pros:

UDU on Award Tickets
United Club Passes
Additional mileage beyond $25,000

Cons:

2 points vs 3 for UACO purchases
No more EQM options

Not yet clear:

Fee waiver for 1k's

Irrelevant:

Baggage fee
Boarding priority
Last available seat (though I hope this doesn't mean expanding availability of the 1k saver award inventory)
Expiration ($95 a year quite the upkeep fee anyways)

Am I missing anything?

Domestic UDU would be nice on awards, but I never redeem domestically anyways. If there's no fee waiver I'm out.

rruaco Jul 19, 2011 6:00 am

Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward.

Please can you introduce a UK card that doesn't suck? Ours is one mile per $1.60 with no other benefits at all.

Even the BA card is better!

thomas199023 Jul 19, 2011 6:07 am

Indeed please also take a look at your European card offerings! A Dutch or German card with these benefits would be nice! Now United is really shortcoming their international customers by offering all these benefits USA only. :td:

golfingboy Jul 19, 2011 6:42 am

Quick question regarding upgrades on domestic reward flights for cardholders who are also elites...

Will we be able to enjoy this benefit on the domestic segments as part of an international award itinerary?

Let's say I am flying on an award ticket to FRA and will fly on UA LAX-ORD connecting to LH ORD-FRA, will I be able to upgrade on LAX-ORD? Or is this benefit strictly only for domestic award itineraries?

What about on a three cabin aircraft? If I am booked on a Business class award and I am flying on a three cabin aircraft from say LAX-IAD, will I be eligible to upgrade from Business to First just like a revenue ticket??

The only real long term downfall for US based flyers I see here is that we only earn 2 miles per $1 rather than 3 miles... But again, that helps keep the value of miles stronger and thank you for not going a la Delta where Skymiles are given away like M&M candies and have been diluted to being nearly worthless... Also thank you for not giving away free EQMs, which will help protect the elite pools and our benefits as elites.

edcho Jul 19, 2011 6:52 am

Yes. It should apply to domestic routes as long as it is UA or CO.

TWA Guy Jul 19, 2011 6:57 am

Does this replace the Platinum Class Visa Signature? If so, I'm going to be really pissed as I depend upon the 10,000 EQMs I get annually from my card.

BillyIdol Jul 19, 2011 7:16 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy (Post 16755254)
Does this replace the Platinum Class Visa Signature? If so, I'm going to be really pissed as I depend upon the 10,000 EQMs I get annually from my card.

Sounds like at least for now you'll be able to keep the Signature card you already have. We'll see what moves they try to get people to switch voluntarily.

I have the same card as you and I'm keeping it.

dinoscool3 Jul 19, 2011 7:20 am

Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
  • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
  • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
  • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines

Thanks Shannon!

Uh-oh, looks like expiring mileage is staying, hope it's at least the current UAs policy.... :(