Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:52 pm

Now at first statement plus a week and no miles yet :/

Not going to call until the second statement closes. Put $2k on the card first statement and haven't gotten any points.

Chase website shows that I earned 52,036 in the last statement period, so I'm not too worried
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.
do you get this when you sign up for the card or after the first anniversary????
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:38 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Keyser
do you get this when you sign up for the card or after the first anniversary????
The anniversary, i.e. after you pay the annual fee.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RNE
The anniversary, i.e. after you pay the annual fee.
that's pretty much what i thought as well....thanks for the info though....
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, DL SLV, SPG PLT, Marriott GLD
Thanks wcalvert for the post. I was wondering what was going on with the Explorer card. The spend miles posted, but no 50000 first time use posting. Guess I will be patient and wait another month to see what happens...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by calche
Thanks wcalvert for the post. I was wondering what was going on with the Explorer card. The spend miles posted, but no 50000 first time use posting. Guess I will be patient and wait another month to see what happens...
I ended up getting my 50k when my first statement miles posted. I saw them first on the Chase website 3 or 4 days before they hit my account.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by joshwex90
No idea. I still like how my MP profile shows Premier Executive member with 0 miles flown.
Hey, CO Gold, 0 miles back at you.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA-MP Gold, Hyatt Platinum
MP Explorer and Presidential Plus Questions

Hi folks,

This is my first FT post (been a lurker for awhile), because I figure I'd rather let you guys take a hack at my question rather than subject myself to customer service calls if the answer is easy.

I have a Mileage Plus Explorer card, thinking it better than my old MP card. I booked 5 itineraries through the end of the year on the MP Explorer card, which gives free checked bags, priority boarding, etc. Then I saw the free year of Presidential Plus thread, and decided to open a PP card and decide in a year if I think it's worth retaining. Doing a lot of international travel, so I figure the lack of foreign transaction fees + United Club membership might make it worth it.

PP gives other benefits -- premier access, more checked bags, etc.

Questions:
- If I bought tickets on MP Explorer card but now have PP card, will I be able to use premier access? I lost my elite status after taking a different job, but I'll have it again this year. So I suppose this only really matters for the 5 itineraries I have left this year.
- If not, do you think a call to customer service would help? Or bringing it up at the airport?
- When after opening the account did folks get their United Club card? I have a three week lull in traveling. Is that enough time, do you think?

I took a new job that will have me traveling 2 or so times per month, so I expect between that and my frequent weekend trips I'll be an increasingly active member of the FT community.

Also, if I've violated some unwritten rule of FT, let me know!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
United MileagePlus Explorer Card

I just got approved for this card... I currently have the Delta Amex and since I am switching over to UA I might as well use their card. My question is... are there different levels of the card? Any that give EQM's?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Originally Posted by SFOTRP

- If I bought tickets on MP Explorer card but now have PP card, will I be able to use premier access? I lost my elite status after taking a different job, but I'll have it again this year. So I suppose this only really matters for the 5 itineraries I have left this year.
IIRC, you need to use PP card when you purchased your tickets. That way, the system knows it's a PP card.

Originally Posted by SFOTRP

- When after opening the account did folks get their United Club card? I have a three week lull in traveling. Is that enough time, do you think?
I'm pretty sure, you only need your PP card to get in. Same way as AMEX PLT can get into US Airways Clubs, no actual membership card is needed.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
IIRC, you need to use PP card when you purchased your tickets. That way, the system knows it's a PP card.
The "system" just kinda knows. I have the PPMC and had generaly purchased tickets on CO with an Amex or strangely my UA Visa, never had issues with not getting "Elite Access" on the ticket. (also got the elite 25% bonus when moved over from UA to CO during Irrops)

I'm pretty sure, you only need your PP card to get in. Same way as AMEX PLT can get into US Airways Clubs, no actual membership card is needed.
Once you have a confirmed membership you'll be able to access via your OnePass number (until 12/31) at any of the former President's Clubs. The old Red Carpet Rooms can still look you up from that as well, it just takes a bit longer. The President's Club Memberships are linked to your OP number.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ
I just got approved for this card... I currently have the Delta Amex and since I am switching over to UA I might as well use their card. My question is... are there different levels of the card? Any that give EQM's?
The Presidental Plus Mastercard offers EQMs based on spend, as well as lounge access, and a few other goodies. There is no official word on how this card will be handled in the future.

As for the actual UA cards, there is only one level.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA-MP Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks folks. So I should probably just sit tight and see? I suppose if the benefits don't attach on the first flight, I could always call and try to cajole them into doing something.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:18 pm
RNE

I realize the current wording in the T&C for the Presidential Plus card seems pat about the cardholder having to purchase tickets with the card, but I don't think that is the case in practice. You'll be a good test case. Do let us know.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

question for those who have received the 25k bonus after first spend....i know the t&c say 6-8 weeks for the points to post but is it really taking that long????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.