FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:48 pm
UA Insider
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi Everyone, first of all, thanks for your feedback and questions. Below are some answers which I hope will be helpful. If I’ve missed anything, please let us know.

Originally Posted by Ari
"PQMs" Officially Undefined: Intentional or Oversight?
I'm going with intentional. They took great care to set forth the new program in pretty good detail and left this one out. Virtually every detail is hatched out and virtually no question (except the most absurdly obscure that only FTers could come up with) is left unanswered. Yet this very basic element of all elite programs is defined nowhere in this exhaustive . (I also notice that nowhere on the website does it say that EQMs are now PQMs-- unless I missed it-- it only talks about "PQMs").

I think they might still be mulling over the idea of ditching 100% PQMs for S/T/K/L fares and, perhaps, increasing PQMs for higher fares. I certainly support the latter; it makes no sense that a $4,000 roundtrip Z-fare, a $12,000 roundtrip J-fare and a $22,000 F fare yield the same EQMs . . . er, PQMs. As for S/T/K/L fares, 75% PQMs doesn't seem inappropriate to me (unlike AA's punishing EQP scheme).

In fact, the only place I see "EQMs" mentioned in this whole thing-- again, unless I missed it-- is in UA Insider's post naming the new acronyms.

Thoughts? What did I miss?
Hi Ari. Definitely not intentional. There are no changes to our Premier Qualifying Mile definition. In 2012, all published fares will earn 100% PQMs and PQSs, except for B class and above which will earn 50% more.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Perhaps they ought to discount the E+ purchase for Silver members. 50% off the going rate for non-members, perhaps?
Thanks warreng24, we are indeed looking into the possibility of offering Premier Silver members a discounted Economy Plus annual subscription rate (below our current $425 rate). I do not have any details to share at this time, but it is something we’re evaluating.

Originally Posted by eagle92
Will the Elite Maximizer (I guess now the Premier Maximizer) still be around next year? If so, will that also be limited to achieving Premier Platinum like the Flex EQM's are now limited from the Presidential Plus Credit Card?
Hi eagle92, we do not have any plans to remove the Elite Maximizer option, however, we’ve yet to determine whether it will be permitted above a certain threshold. Currently, there’s not.

Originally Posted by nova08
Scott, I think there are some additional clarifications needed around this point.

As I understand your statement if the companion is on the same PNR they will clear at the time window of the Elite level of the person they are traveling with? What if it gets to the airport, will they clear with the Elite level or will they be at the end of the list, as it is done at UA currently?
Hi nova08, we are still working the details as to how companions that were divided out of reservations will be handled in the Complimentary Premier Upgrade (CPU) automated process. Our goal is for the CPU automated process to have a ‘memory’ of the divide, and upgrade at the same priority as the sponsoring member. As for companions that are in separate reservations (that were not divided from the sponsoring member) and all other cases where clearance is deferred to the gate standby clearance, companions will clear at a priority below all other members in that tier. As a reminder, the airport upgrade standby list only applies only after check-in has cut off and CPU automated processing is closed.

If more than 2 people are on the same PNR will we still have to split the reservation? Although it sounds like you are implying that if this is the case we can't designate a companion for an upgrade until the airport which will be a disadvantage.
If you have a reservation with 2 or more people , you will have the ability to divide it such that there is only one companion. This option will be offered online or by contacting us. If getting yourself and your companion upgraded as part of the automatic CPU process, then this would be the way to go.

With regards to Upgrade order, will the Y B upgrades include all paxs, or just elites on Y and B tickets
The upgrade benefit for these fares only applies to Premier members and up to one companion.

Originally Posted by BigBossman
Two Questions I have:

1) It is not spelled-out above, but would like to know if Regional Upgrades can be used on the Int. Config. Birds to Hawaii from U.S.? (PS is still good to go, I see)
Yes, BigBossman, as mentioned in my initial post all flights between the Mainland U.S. and Hawaii will be eligible for RPUs.

Originally Posted by BigBossman
2) Will the Y/B/M auto-upgrades apply to Int. flights? (I am a UA flyer, not a CO flyer so don't know well how these upgrades worked in the past).
The Y/B/M instant upgrades will apply in the same exact markets where we offer CPUs, which includes numerous short/medium haul international markets.

Originally Posted by theTheme
I have a similar question. Who gets the upgrade if we assume there is only one upgrade seat, one Silver (the 3p??), and one explorer card holder. I guess with the new changes to E+ also assume that all those seats are paid occupied.
Hi theTheme, Explorer cardmembers traveling on awards are prioritized behind the lowest revenue fare class in each Premier tier. So, to answer your question accurately, we’d need to know the status of the Explorer cardmember.

Originally Posted by pterosaur
Global Premier Upgrade not available on Lufthansa? Only United, Continental and Copa?
Hi pterosaur, our Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) will continue to be valid for use on Lufthansa. We’re still working out the details as to exactly how this gets implemented.

Originally Posted by hobo13
We'll never know how all this went down, but if Lucky's leak had anything to do with torpedoing their revenue-based program, we owe him a big thank-you.
It didn’t. Really.

Originally Posted by as219
Lifetime benefits... Am I to understand that the one-time UA adjustment will tally as lifetime miles all *A EQMs I've ever credited to M+? I flew a lot of LH back in the day....
Yes, as219, the one-time adjustment on the UA side will include all elite qualification earnings dating back to the beginning of the Mileage Plus program, including partners, fare class bonuses, double/triple/octuple EQM promotions, and bonus EQMs from credit cards.

Originally Posted by Starman
Does this mean some people could actually move up a tier in MM status (e.g., 2MM -> 3MM) in 2012 without doing anything at all?? And finally, if I understand correctly, AA includes not just credit card EQMs, but all credit card miles (what we used to call RDMs) in their lifetime status -- I presume new UA is not doing this?
That’s correct, Starman, with our one-time adjustment, many of you who banked miles in Mileage Plus will move up a Million Miler level without doing anything at all. We will not, however, include anything that didn’t count toward Elite status such as credit card RDMs.

On a separate note it sounds like the MM program will now be based on BIS miles, will this include only UA or will partner flying also count?
Hi again nova08, effective Jan. 1, 2012, when the new Million Miler accrual policy takes effect, only base miles earned on United, Continental and Copa operated flights will count. This will exclude partners and PQM bonuses of all kinds (including fare class).

Originally Posted by PVDProf
I am bummed about what looks like the loss of E+ access for companions on different PNRs, as I use that all the time when flying with family.
To clarify, PVDProf, we will allow Economy Plus for companions booked in separate reservations, however, this won’t be available for self-service. It’ll have to be done by us over the phone or at the airport.

Originally Posted by raehl311
If I earn Silver this year, when does my free 2nd checked bag benefit end? Feb 2012 or Feb 2013?
Hi raehl311, as mentioned in my original post, most of the new program changes including this one, will be effective when we migrate to a single technology system late in the first quarter of 2012.

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Scott,

Thanks very much for the post and updated MP info for 2012.

A bit of clarification, please, regarding the special inventory allotments for Saver awards. Currently, in this chart Benefits by status level it says: "we reserve a special inventory exclusively for 1K members."

IIRC, that is for Y-class awards only.

In the new chart 2012 Premier benefits by status level it has both "Better availability for Saver Awards in economy" available to all Premiers, and "Better availability for Saver Awards in all cabins" available to Platinums and 1Ks.

Does this mean that Silvers and Golds will have restricted access to the current level of Saver award inventory in Business and First classes, or will there be new, additional inventory, above current levels, made available to Platinums and 1Ks?
Hi AeroWesty, in the current Mileage Plus program, only 1Ks and above get better availability for Saver awards, and only in Economy Class. Starting in 2012, the better Saver Economy Class availability benefit will be extended to include all Premier members. In addition we will introduce better premium cabin Saver award availability for Premier Platinum members and above. This matches up with what we do on the OnePass side today. It’s been popular there, and we’re glad to keep it in the new program.

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
If I'm reading it right over here
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...Overview#chart
Does that mean the NRT-ICN or NRT-TPE also are eligible for CPU? That will be a great news!
Originally Posted by TerryK
That's how I read it too. Hope we are right. There are also a good number of flights ex-GUM, GUM-HKG, GUM-ROR, GUM-MNL etc. I wonder if those are covered under new CPU?
Thanks for your questions, cchuang1980 and TerryK. To clarify, allflights within Asia/Pacific will be included with only a few exceptions. The exceptions are Guam/Tokyo-Honolulu nonstops, and Tokyo-Singapore/Bangkok. Everything else, including Tokyo-Seoul/Taipei will be eligible for CPUs.

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
Question: UA flights, non-stop, from DEN to Hawaii will become not cpu eligible. [per todays announcement.] Yet ORD to Hawaii are cpu. Are you going to put the new 787 on this route? Use 3 class aircraft? Use same PS aircraft as JFK -SFO,LAX? Please explain?
Hi Pegasus23, while we expect to be offering a mix of our long-haul and domestic products between our markets east of California (i.e. IAH/EWR/DEN/ORD) and Hawaii through 2012, we do have a desire to be more consistent in the long-term. The jury is still out on this one as to what aircraft and product we’ll be offering, but it’ll be a while before we get there.

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
How are the 4 flights calculated? 4 segments? 4 directions of travel? 4 roundtrips? 4 PNRs?
Originally Posted by jonk
i have the same question -- also, does it have to be on UA stock/UA flight number? e.g., if i fly a codeshare (but UA metal), does that count, too?
Thanks for your questions, PSU Muddler and jonk. Paid flights refers to a paid flight segment operated by United, regardless of ticket stock or marketed flight number. A reservation with 4 United segments, for example, will do the trick.

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Does this mean CR-1 will no longer work on p.s.?
Hi amartin, believe this was already answered, but just to clarify, our new Regional Premier Upgrades (RPUs, soon-to-be former CR-1s) will indeed be eligible for use on our p.s. flights (JFK-LAX/SFO), as well as all flights between the mainland U.S. and Hawaii (no matter whether the onboard product is domestic or long-haul). These are the two instances where the RPU geography varies from CPU.

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
One additional concern, though: the terminology suggests that it's CO's opaque EUA "running" windows that will survive, as opposed to UA's auto-confirmation of upgrades when NC/NF bcomes available anytime in the window.
Hi CollegeFlyer, the automation to be used will indeed be based on the CO Elite Upgrade Automation (EUA) technology, where our upgrades will be processed at fixed intervals before departure. On the day of departure, this automation runs constantly all the way up until check-in is closed.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Now one question.. Where's my pillow and blanket?
On your bed, I would hope.

Originally Posted by ZoomingAround
PQM/PQS criteria, including
four flights* on the new United
(including Continental),
Copa Airlines or
Copa Airlines Colombia

Saw this note near the bottom of the page:

*Members who hold a Chase-issued OnePass Presidential PlusSM Credit Card are exempt from this minimum flight criteria as long as their card account is in good standing at the time of qualification.

http://www.onepassmergerupdates.com/...2MPStatusChart

So PPlus cardholders are exempt?
That’s correct, ZoomingAround, Presidential Plus cardmembers will be exempt from the 4-segment minimum requirement.

Originally Posted by honmani2
If I'm reading this right, it means that as a 2MM, my wife will get 1P status (or whatever it is going to be called) for life. (Okay, at least my life. )

I wonder if she'll get RCC access as well.
Hi honmani2, as a 2 Million Miler, you will get lifetime Premier Platinum status and the option to extend that benefit to your wife. Your lifetime lounge earned under the former program will be honored, but will not be extended to include your wife.

Originally Posted by honmani2
Does this mean that COs flights from HNL-IAH and HNL-EWR will be upgradeable and qualify for UDUs? (Give me time to get used to the new acronyms.)
It does not. Our Hawaii flights where we offer our long-haul premium product , which for now includes to/from IAH and EWR and DEN (come late Oct. 2011), will all be excluded from our CPU eligibility .

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
Has it been officially mentioned which account # we will be using after the switch over? I have it on good authority that it will be CO's, which will probably suprise everyone, but it's apparently the OP system they're using for MP. I have therefore now committed my OP # to memory.
No official mention yet, MayorMcKnife. We plan to share details about how the overall account transition process will work in the coming months.

Originally Posted by edcho
Any word if UACO is keeping the relationship with Amtrak? Currently PC (and possibly RCC?) members can go to Club Acela areas with their PC cards.
Hi edcho, we are still in the process of finalizing our partnerships, and do not have any details at this time.

Originally Posted by beltway
Where will YCA (government) fares fit into this scheme?
Hi beltway, we there are no current plans to exclude YCA fares from our Y/B/M instant upgrade benefit.

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Lifetime 1Ps... do we map to Premier Platinum? Guessing/hoping so
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
So I became a UA 1MMer this year.
I'm not sure which lifetime elite status I will get when the new MP starts next year
Will I become Premier Gold or Platinum depending on the new MM rules?
I'm guessing I won't make 2MM after adding all my past EQMs...
If Premier Gold,
Thanks for your questions, 1K-SFO and MrJBoy. Lifetime Premier Executive will map to Lifetime Premier Gold, except for current Mileage Plus 2 Million Milers, who will bump up to lifetime Premier Platinum. This, with the addition of the ability to designate a spouse or significant to share your same Premier status (lifetime or earned, whichever is greater) makes this a pretty competitive offering.

Originally Posted by brianfromwa
Wait, the Free Puppy rumor isn't real?!?
As much as we’d like to, brianfromwa, until we announce the details fully, we’re not in a position to talk about specific elements or the general direction of our free puppy program.

Scott O'Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines