Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by qisu
if you and your friends are all on a single reservation, yes your friends get benefits like priority boarding and free checked luggage.
if they are not on your reservation, but they check in with you on the same flight, i believe you should be able to convince the check-in counter agent to get them free checked luggage. and you can definitely walk with them through the premier security line and through premier boarding line.
We are. If I purchase tickets this way, their tickets will also have my PP number and say "Premier Access" etc on them?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
Is there a name check for United Business First for international flights? I want to just popin an empty seat
Yeah, they'll notice.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by agp423
.... If I purchase tickets this way, their tickets will also have my PP number and say "Premier Access" etc on them?
If cash purchased tickets on a single PNR, they will not have your Plat number but they will have premier access Boarding group 1 and same bag allowance.

If mileage award tickets, then they will have your Plat number and premier access Boarding group 1 and same bag allowance.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
Is there a name check for United Business First for international flights? I want to just popin an empty seat
Ha, ha, this isn't an episode of Seinfeld

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
unnoticed -- not likely, FAs know the seat count and empty seats (part of the manifest)
They are supposed to offer meals by status, so yes, they can see who is where.

Had someone switch seats within the front cabin a few months back and they noticed

Originally Posted by alphaod
Yeah, they'll notice.
That is if there even is an open seat. With people buying up and using GPUs haven't seen too many empty Biz1St seats going out lately @:-)

Why, they normally look out even for E+ poachers ^

EmailKid
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:20 am

Re: RPU and GPU issuance

Assuming I obtain 75k EQMs (Plat) in Sep 2013, I will receive 2 RPUs. When I obtain 100k EQMs (1K) in Nov 2013, I will receive 2 more RPUs as well as 6 GPUs. Come Jan 2014, I remain 1K.

When I obtain my first 25k EQMs in Feb 2014, do I receive another 2 RPUs, and again for every 25k EQMs thereafter? Or only when I reach 75k EQMs in 2014 will I receive the first 2 RPUs in 2014?

Same question for GPUs. If I obtain 50K EQMs in Apr 2014, do I receive 2 more GPUs? Or only 6 GPUs when I obtain 100k EQMs sometime in 2014?

Thank you for clarifying!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Question Should I use UA or US silver account, for my UA flights?

Question moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post21467721

Last edited by swag; Sep 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Waitlist on previous day

Booked in Z class internationally (EWR TLC) on 14/Oct, ticketed. Waitlisted on 13th/Oct for the same flight and a later one.

If the waitlist clears, will there be a change fee? One flight is exactly 24hrs, one is within 24 hrs.

How will I be notified?

If my assumption is correct and a change fee applies, then can I just refuse the offered change?

Once it is within 24 hrs, can I just try for an SDC if same class of travel is available on the earlier flight?
thanks
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
Purchasing One Way United ticket International

I thought I was so slick scoring 4 biz class tickets on United with miles from the US to London for my parents, husband and I for late Spring 2014. I assumed that airlines no longer penalized one for one way tickets versus RT and we have not yet decided where in Europe we want to return. I wasn't expecting the return to be an award tickets but am blown away by the cost of a one way, say from CDG in early June, in excess of $3000 per ticket for ECONOMY. I checked other airlines and it's the same deal.
What are my options to remedy this situation reasonably. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by maple
Assuming I obtain 75k EQMs (Plat) in Sep 2013, I will receive 2 RPUs. When I obtain 100k EQMs (1K) in Nov 2013, I will receive 2 more RPUs as well as 6 GPUs. Come Jan 2014, I remain 1K.

When I obtain my first 25k EQMs in Feb 2014, do I receive another 2 RPUs, and again for every 25k EQMs thereafter?
Wouldn't that be nice.

No, you only get the next set of RPUs when you reach 75 next year. Only get additional RPUs if you reach 125K.

Originally Posted by deatrice
I wasn't expecting the return to be an award tickets but am blown away by the cost of a one way, say from CDG in early June, in excess of $3000 per ticket for ECONOMY. I checked other airlines and it's the same deal.
Guess this falls under be careful what you wish for.

Sorry, int'l fares are notoriously high for one way fares. You will quite likely find round trip fares that are cheaper as r/t than o/w.

Only solution I can think of is to start flying ex Europe on r/t tickets.

EmailKid
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I thought I was so slick scoring 4 biz class tickets on United with miles from the US to London for my parents, husband and I for late Spring 2014. I assumed that airlines no longer penalized one for one way tickets versus RT and we have not yet decided where in Europe we want to return. I wasn't expecting the return to be an award tickets but am blown away by the cost of a one way, say from CDG in early June, in excess of $3000 per ticket for ECONOMY. I checked other airlines and it's the same deal.
There might be change fees, but also consider turning two of the one ways into return tickets (creating two round-trip business trips) and then purchasing two round trips (in coach or business). Might end up being cheaper. If coach for the new tickets, have the four people share and go one way in business, one way in coach?

Last edited by abaheti; Sep 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm Reason: "change fees" vs "penalties"
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Is it possible to book 2 award seats form 2 different accounts or do I have to search and then purchase each ticket separately.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by holocker
Is it possible to book 2 award seats form 2 different accounts or do I have to search and then purchase each ticket separately.
You can only book award seats from an account you are logged into.

EmailKid
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Had someone switch seats within the front cabin a few months back and they noticed.
Oops. Did they yell at you for doing that?

One option nobody around here would think of (except me) is not flying back at all. You could sail back on Cunard's QE2 for a measly $1k per person—and enjoy a well appointed cabin rather than a 17"-wide seat. Westbound departures are typically from Hamburg and Southampton arriving in New York. You would have to find your way home from there (unless you live nearby), but even with that add-on cost, you'll probably spend less than you would on airfare coming back.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Had someone switch seats within the front cabin a few months back and they noticed
Originally Posted by RNE
Oops. Did they yell at you for doing that?
No, but the person beside me did when I declined to switch seats

I was happy I selected 2A to have choice of meals and didn't fancy having them run out in one of the back rows since not all follow policy and offer meals to 1Ks 1st

They did find someone else, but were very ugly about it, so I was glad that I didn't switch with that type of a person. And I know they didn't pay for the seat, because they got upgraded way later than me.

EmailKid
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:11 pm

Hello, does United credit miles for United flights booked through travelocity, orbitz, etc., or do you have to book through their web site?
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.