Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I use UA or US silver account, for my UA flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I use UA or US silver account, for my UA flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Question Should I use UA or US silver account, for my UA flights?

I tried asking this on the "simple question" thread, but maybe it wasn't a simple enough question...

I'm a complete newbie to UA. I don't even have a UA account. I haven't flown them in years, and when I did, I just credited to my US Airways account.

Now, I'm considering booking a couple of flights on UA for next month.

I'm currently US (thus *A) Silver. But while I'm a UA nothing right now, I'll get Marriott Platinum later this month, and that gets me UA Silver. How long does that take to process? My MR Plat should be shown about 4 days before the first flight; the return flight would be 2 weeks after that.

And if I have UA Silver before the flights, what are the added benefits flying with that status, compared to flying with Star Silver? I'll earn about 2K RDM that (all things being equal) I'd rather credit to US than to leave possibly orphaned in UA. But if the UA status would get me a better seat, or even a possible upgrade, then I'd consider that worth it.

The flights are domestic mid-cons, into IAD on a Monday afternoon and then leaving IAD on a Friday afternoon.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Silver will get you a better seat at T-24, and a very low upgrade possibility.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
I reckon you could probably put in the UA silver FF# up until check-in, and then at the airport have them change it to your US #. This'll get you your E+ at T-24, miles to your US account, and I think that United gives *S premier access. All you'll be missing is the remote possibility of an upgrade.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by coutura
I reckon you could probably put in the UA silver FF# up until check-in, and then at the airport have them change it to your US #. This'll get you your E+ at T-24, miles to your US account, and I think that United gives *S premier access. All you'll be missing is the remote possibility of an upgrade.
Second this...
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:43 pm
Suspended

any thoughts on the reverse of this?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by Rauth
any thoughts on the reverse of this?
Well, I have no experience with US Silver status, but I do have experience flying US with UA Silver. US doesn't give *S anything more than a free checked bag (basically), so I'd use the US account as long as possible. Switch at gate, if possible. Would need to do the switching after security so as to have access to the Preferred security lanes. Not sure how/if this would affect your boarding group on US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.