Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Check-in available before T-24 hours?

My understanding that one could check in online 24 hours before departure. In checking on flight status of a scheduled flight departing tomorrow, (my flight is several weeks out), clicking on "United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List" shows seat availability, plus it shows persons already checked in as "1." This was at more than 26 hours before departure. How does one get to check-in more than 24 hours before departure? Is this a result of using the auto-check-in feature when checking in for an outbound leg?
(the particular flight was 990 - SFO>CDG.)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
My understanding that one could check in online 24 hours before departure. In checking on flight status of a scheduled flight departing tomorrow, (my flight is several weeks out), clicking on "United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List" shows seat availability, plus it shows persons already checked in as "1." This was at more than 26 hours before departure. How does one get to check-in more than 24 hours before departure? Is this a result of using the auto-check-in feature when checking in for an outbound leg?
(the particular flight was 990 - SFO>CDG.)
Likely a connecting passenger: Ex, HNL-SFO-CDG..
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Keeping Miles

So I haven't flown UA in ages, and my MP miles are all about to expire approximately 5 days from now. I really want to keep them from expiring! I see that you can buy a Groupon from UA MP Marketplace and get MP miles for it, and I would like to go this route. Anyone know how long it takes for the miles to post to my account? Will they post in time (by 9/30/13)? If not, are there any other ways to keep my miles?

If not, I suppose I'll just book a few award tickets...

Thanks!
brewdog11
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by brewdog11
are there any other ways to keep my miles?
Isn't the rule that any activity on the account pushes out the expiration? Any MP transaction.

I'd go with buying a song from the Mileage Plus Digital Media Store. That can be under 200 miles.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
There is saver space on all segments.

I spent about 4 hours on the phone last night and none has been quite able to explain why routing is not valid.

I suspect it can be a number of segments.

Full routing I was trying to ticket is JFK-CLT-CUN // CUN-IAD-LGA (stop) EWR-FRA-LOS-JNB-LVI

Open-jaw, with a stop-over, 8 segments, but I guess 6 in one direction. Is that kosher?
That might be the issue - can you feed them the flights, excluding the connections? So JFK-CUN//CUN-LGA (stop) EWR-LOS-JNB-JVI?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: United
I have UA/Star Alliance Gold status. My first flight returning to the US on a United-ticketed flight is on Lufthansa connecting to United in London.

Will Lufthansa allow three 70 pound checked bags as is United's Gold policy, or the Lufthansa 2-bag 50 lb limit (lufthansa's star alliance gold policy)? First flight i Lufthansa Munich to London, then United London to SFO.

Also I just earned the status level after flying to Europe a few days ago. When will Lufthansa recognize the newly-earned United Gold status?

I just found the following:

What if I am connecting onto a codeshare or Star Alliance® partner flight?

When a customer travels on a codeshare flight or on an aircraft operated by a Star Alliance member airline, then the policy regarding checked bags follows the rules determined by the originating marketing carrier.

source: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...aggageFAQ.aspx

That is definitive, no?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 26, 2013 at 5:11 am
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanPA
I have UA/Star Alliance Gold status. My first flight returning to the US on a United-ticketed flight is on Lufthansa connecting to United in London.

Will Lufthansa allow three 70 pound checked bags as is United's Gold policy, or the Lufthansa 2-bag 50 lb limit (lufthansa's star alliance gold policy)? First flight i Lufthansa Munich to London, then United London to SFO.

Also I just earned the status level after flying to Europe a few days ago. When will Lufthansa recognize the newly-earned United Gold status?

I just found the following:

What if I am connecting onto a codeshare or Star Alliance® partner flight?

When a customer travels on a codeshare flight or on an aircraft operated by a Star Alliance member airline, then the policy regarding checked bags follows the rules determined by the originating marketing carrier.

source: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...aggageFAQ.aspx

That is definitive, no?
This is a difficult question - best addressed in the thread re: DOT baggage. It depends on many factors - ticket stock (UA), all carriers (LH, US) and what the return ticket allows.

I imagine LH agents will grant you at most *G baggage. But if MSC is UA, then LH has to grant you UA baggage.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
They will, its a big money maker for them.

Originally Posted by controller1
I realize the maximum tier I can achieve through the transfer of Flex PQM (from the Presidential Plus card) is Platinum. If I achieve Platinum through the transfer of Flex PQM, could I theoretically achieve 1K through the purchase of 25,000 miles via Premier Accelerator?

Thanks.
Nope..same with lifetime gold.....need to start from zero!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:55 am

My DEN-PHX flight got canceled requiring me to spend the night in Denver. UA did not provide hotels saying there were none because of the recent floods so I found one for myself. The UA compensation is $150 or 7000 miles which I don't feel is quite enough.

1) Do I accept the $150 and then ask UA for additional compensation? Does accepting the offer mean that the case is closed as far as UA is concerned?

2) If I accept the above offer will UA still pay for the hotel? How do I send UA my hotel bill for reimbursement.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:02 am

Mileage Upgrades and stopovers

If one uses miles to upgrade an itinerary that includes a stopover, will one mileage upgrade + co pay cover all segments? I.e. if upgrading on a flight from BKK-EWR with a stopover for a few days in NRT, can both segments be upgraded for 30k miles + co-pay, or will the stopover necessitate that a separate upgrade be used for each segment?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
If I'm waitlisted for an upgrade for my JFK-SFO flight next week (UA already debited the 20000 miles), but I try to SDC to an earlier flight, does that affect the upgrade request at all?

i.e., I don't want to forfeit the miles or be charged a fee if I try to do a SDC.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbearmedic
If I'm waitlisted for an upgrade for my JFK-SFO flight next week (UA already debited the 20000 miles), but I try to SDC to an earlier flight, does that affect the upgrade request at all?

i.e., I don't want to forfeit the miles or be charged a fee if I try to do a SDC.
It should transfer over to the new flight. As for fees....what status are you?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Originally Posted by aacharya
It should transfer over to the new flight. As for fees....what status are you?
Gold
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:09 am

free checked bag for CC holder on award flights

I booked my trip with miles, so I only paid the $10 fee with the credit card. Would I be eligible for the free checked bag for MileagePlus Explorer cardholders?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downinit
I booked my trip with miles, so I only paid the $10 fee with the credit card. Would I be eligible for the free checked bag for MileagePlus Explorer cardholders?
Yes, if they were your miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.