Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hookthem
If I take advantage of a Buy-Up to First at check-in, will I get the 150% PQM bonus on my ticket?
I do not recall anyone reporting 150% PQM for buyup at checkin.

EmailKid
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I do not recall anyone reporting 150% PQM for buyup at checkin.

EmailKid
Correct - and a whole thread discussing the nuance of buy-ups at check-in versus true cash upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...h-buy-ups.html

Originally Posted by maple
Just looking for a quick confirmation.

Does this itinerary earn 100% UA PQM?
BKK-NRT UA9710 (operated by NH) K class
NRT-ORD UA9662 (operated by NH) K class

Or would I have to call in and check in which class the UA codeshare flights were actually booked on NH? This non-UA metal thing has always been a source of worry for me!

Thanks!
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=299

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
Hope this is the right place to ask. My last 2 flights home, 1 from ORD to IAH and another from BOS to IAH. I was in exits rows for all the segments, but coming home from ORD when UA auto checked me in, it moved me from 21A to 32C. When returning from BOS it moved me from 21F to 32F.

I am fairly tall and very conscience about obtaining an exit row when I book my tickets. Plus I regularly check the seat map to look for better seats. I am positive I was in exit rows and some how got moved back to coach. Anyone ever have this happen before?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Hill713
Hope this is the right place to ask. My last 2 flights home, 1 from ORD to IAH and another from BOS to IAH. I was in exits rows for all the segments, but coming home from ORD when UA auto checked me in, it moved me from 21A to 32C. When returning from BOS it moved me from 21F to 32F.

I am fairly tall and very conscience about obtaining an exit row when I book my tickets. Plus I regularly check the seat map to look for better seats. I am positive I was in exit rows and some how got moved back to coach. Anyone ever have this happen before?
Do you have Premier Gold (or higher) status with United (can't tell from your profile) as if yes and you were in an exit row (which is also classified as Economy+), the seat assignment should have stuck but sadly, there have been reports all over the place as discussed in this thread about random seat changes. If you have Premier Silver status, "technically speaking", you can't select E+ until 24 hours prior to departure and perhaps the system booted you out?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Do you have Premier Gold (or higher) status with United (can't tell from your profile) as if yes and you were in an exit row (which is also classified as Economy+), the seat assignment should have stuck but sadly, there have been reports all over the place as discussed in this thread about random seat changes. If you have Premier Silver status, "technically speaking", you can't select E+ until 24 hours prior to departure and perhaps the system booted you out?
Yes, I am Premier Platinum. I think I am going to turn off the auto checkin, I am not sure what good that does anyway since I have long since secured the seat I wanted.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:02 pm

Yes, Premier Platinum on UA.

reading the thread you linked, sounds like this isnt totally uncommon. I am just going to decline to have the system auto-check me in. What advantage is there to auto checkin if you already have your seat confirmed anyway?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Hill713
Yes, Premier Platinum on UA.

reading the thread you linked, sounds like this isnt totally uncommon. I am just going to decline to have the system auto-check me in. What advantage is there to auto checkin if you already have your seat confirmed anyway?
Based on your status you seat assignment should have stuck but as you've read, strange things happen with SHARES and its ancillary systems regarding seat assignments but the advantage of auto check-in is, in addition to being a time saver, that check-in time is one of the tie-breakers involving a waitlisted upgrade clearing
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
check-in time is one of the tie-breakers involving a waitlisted upgrade clearing
Well, that is good to know. Looks like I need to set the iPhone alarm to make sure and check my seats as soon as auto check-in happens.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:49 pm

Hey guys,
I have a following situation with UA award tickets.

There was an original one-way reservation EWR-FRA-LOS-JNB-LVI in Jan xx, 2014

I would like to add several segments to create an open-jaw with a stopover:

JFK-CUN // CUN-LGA (stopover) EWR-...-LVI

If I were booking this from scratch the routing would be legal and would price at 92,500 in C.

Because I initially only had a one-way, UA agents claim they can't change it into a round-trip and add a stopover. I believe they might be wrong, e.g. I have successfully cross-referenced two one ways to add a stopover.

Are there any magic words they would understand?

Last edited by BigRedBears; Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Premium 1K, AA EXP, Starwood G, Hyatt D
I am planning for the 2014 travel and status through 2015. Does anyone know UA will continue to offer to purchase PQM starting 1-1-2014, and how they relate to new PQD if they offer?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Hey guys,
I have a following situation with UA award tickets.

There was an original one-way reservation EWR-FRA-LOS-JNB-LVI in Jan xx, 2014

I would like to add several segments to create an open-jaw with a stopover:

JFK-CUN // CUN-LGA (stopover) EWR-...-LVI

Because I initially only had a one-way, UA agents claim they can't change it into a round-trip and add a stopover. I believe they might be wrong, e.g. I have successfully cross-referenced two one ways to add a stopover.

Are there any magic words they would understand?
Is there space in your outbound?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has a rule that if an upgrade includes mixed Business/First upgrades with BF or GF first upgrades and none of the BF/GF clear, then the upgrade "payment" is returned.

However believe BKK-NRT is BF or GF, so that rules will no apply in this case.

In your case, you would be able to get a refund for the difference. It make require a call.
Thank you very much for this info

I had been told otherwise by someone at UA reservations, but suspected the agent was mistaken. I am glad to hear that in this case the substantial difference in co-pay and mileage would be refunded if the NRT-EWR segment upgrade were not to clear.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just a simple question.
I recently requested an upgrade redeeming a RPU for a return flight from JFK to SJC which has two legs. One from JFK to LAX and another from LAX to SJC. The first, longer leg is waitlisted but the second leg (1hr flight) was upgraded.
I am afraid that if the waitlist does not clear I would be using my RPU for a silly short flight instead of the total flight.
My question is whether there is any specific online process to cancel the requested upgrade so that the redeemed RPU is redeposited into my account.
I have looked this up in the UA website but there is no specific info on this. Any hint will be appreciated.
Maybe calling the 1K desk?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC, AP, et al
'No permission' to see Award Availability Calendar

Hi

Please move this post if it is not appropriate for this forum.

When I select any month other than the current one displayed in the 'Award Availability Calendar', I get an error page 'You do not have permission to view this directory or page.'

I recently created this MP account, I do not have miles in it, I am wanting to use it to search *A reward availability.

Does access to the Award Availability Calendar require miles in the account, and/or some sort of other status in MP?

Thank you.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Is there space in your outbound?
There is saver space on all segments.

I spent about 4 hours on the phone last night and none has been quite able to explain why routing is not valid.

I suspect it can be a number of segments.

Full routing I was trying to ticket is JFK-CLT-CUN // CUN-IAD-LGA (stop) EWR-FRA-LOS-JNB-LVI

Open-jaw, with a stop-over, 8 segments, but I guess 6 in one direction. Is that kosher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.