Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil
If I reach 1K on November 30th, are all my flights in December "wasted" when it pertains to earning status since I already reached the highest level or is there some kind of carry-over effect from excess miles in one year to the next?
Since there is no carry-over, you could think of this as a Pass/Fail situation where the extra credit (2 RPUs upon reaching each 25k beyond 100k) is balanced against the time/effort/$$$ of each additional trip, assuming they are discretionary. However, if the so-called excess trips are required, then when close to the extra 25k, it's a value judgement. Conversely(?), if at, say, 98k near year-end, the reward for a short extra trip IMO is well worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil
If I reach 1K on November 30th, are all my flights in December "wasted" when it pertains to earning status since I already reached the highest level or is there some kind of carry-over effect from excess miles in one year to the next?
Could be a good opportunity to try and get a status challenge to another airline (DL or AA specifically) and test out that program vs. United. Given the normal parameters you should easily get match the challenge if your December spend is on par with earning you 1K and perhaps bleed into January depending on terms of the challenge.

Though as other's have noted, you can accrue additional RPUs and GPUs and improve MM balance.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:38 pm

New to flytalkers! Need some guidance.

Hello everyone and i apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

My name is Lee for short and i recently signed up for United Mileage Plus account.

I'm new to all the acronyms and would like some guidance on it so I can gain the useful information everyone here is talking about.

This is my account as follows

Mileage Balance: 14,915
MileagePlus Status Level: Member
Year to Date Premier Miles: 12,164
Year to Date Premier Segments: 5

It says the next level is Premier Silver. I usually flight out from EWR to SEA.

What benefits does premier silver get? Is there another way to achieve silver and + status ?

Thank you all in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. eunduklee
Originally Posted by eunduklee
I'm new to all the acronyms and would like some guidance on it so I can gain the useful information everyone here is talking about. ...
FT Glossary
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-glossary.html (from the pre merger UA forum)

...This is my account as follows

Mileage Balance: 14,xxxx
Year to Date Premier Miles: 12,xxx
Year to Date Premier Segments: 5 ...
best not to be so specific with your personal inf on the internet

...What benefits does premier silver get? ...
A good place to start is Premier benefits and more

...Is there another way to achieve silver and + status ? ....
some credit cards give you sliver-like benefits

As for learning in general, reading and following FT / UA Forum has much to offer. It will take some time but in awhile you will be amazing others with your knowledge.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Hello everyone and i apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

My name is Lee for short and i recently signed up for United Mileage Plus account.

I'm new to all the acronyms and would like some guidance on it so I can gain the useful information everyone here is talking about.

This is my account as follows

Mileage Balance: 14,915
Year to Date Premier Miles: 12,164
Year to Date Premier Segments: 5

It says the next level is Premier Silver. I usually flight out from EWR to SEA.

What benefits does premier silver get? Is there another way to achieve silver and + status ?

Thank you all in advance.
Silver gives you a free checked bag, boarding group 2, priority check in, complimentary upgrades to first class on domestic flights, and the ability to select economy plus seating.

There is another way to get silver: book one or more flights that would give you 25,000 miles, and and then add the elite/premier maximizer to buy 25,000 elite qualifying miles. But the miles, and cancel the flights. Will cost you a lot more than flying.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:59 pm

Thank you so much for the information.

Ticket class T and V are bad for upgrades usually from your experiences sir or ma;am
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thank you so much for the information.

Ticket class T and V are bad for upgrades usually from your experiences sir or ma;am
[Unduly strong direction to a new member deleted by Moderator as not apt, esp. in this particular thread.]

But to answer your question, as a Silver, you have very little hope of upgrades, as you are behind GS, 1K, Platinum, and Gold.

In addition, V and T fares are on the middle and low-end of economy fare classes.

They go:Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm Reason: See above note.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Ticket class T and V are bad for upgrades ...
Silvers' chances for upgrade are low in general and the

The complimentary upgrade priority factors is Status, Face Class, and then time of purchase / request. (see Upgrades overview for more complete explanation)

The Fare cass ranking for economy is 'Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N'
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:27 pm

thank you so much for the advice.

ill go read the other threads.

thank you again
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mre5765
Silver gives you a free checked bag, boarding group 2, priority check in, complimentary upgrades to first class on domestic flights, and the ability to select economy plus seating.
Just to add a few caveats to mre5765's good summary:

-Complimentary upgrades to F are (as you have already discerned) not guaranteed; more on this below
-Silvers can select Economy Plus (E+ on FlyerTalk) seats starting at online check-in (i.e. 24 hours before departure). You must be Gold or higher to be able to select them at the time of booking.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
complimentary upgrade priority factors is Status, Face Class, and then time of purchase / request. (see Upgrades overview for more complete explanation)

The Fare cass ranking for economy is 'Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N'
Indeed; I would not expect to see many upgrades as a silver at all. It's hard enough to get a good upgrade rate as a 1K.

As a silver, you will be below:

-all GS, 1K, Platinum, and Gold members
-all Silvers on higher fare classes
-all Silvers within your fare class who bought a ticket before you

As you can see, that's a lot of people above you. Your upgrade chances vary significantly depending on the flight (hub-to-hubs are almost impossible even for 1K members while flights to podunk outstations--as long as the aircraft serving that outstation has an F cabin--can be easy upgrades for everyone as the competition is not as fierce), but in general, it's best just to not count on upgrades ever happening for you.

One note: if you (as a Silver) buy a full Y (fully flexible, fully refundable) or B fare, you will be prioritized over all 1Ks, Platinums, Golds, and Silvers on lower fare classes. You would still be behind all GS, 1K, Platinum, and Gold members on Y and B fares (and also any GS or 1Ks on M fares) as well as any other Silvers on Y or B fares who bought before you, but buying these (ridiculously expensive) fares significantly improves your upgrade chances.

Sadly, the UA FAQ in the UA forum is hopelessly out-of-date. Perhaps when FlyerTalk turns on the new wikipost function for everyone to edit (coming soon!), we can get something put together that can help newer members like you understand the ins and outs better.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 13, 2013 at 8:15 am Reason: fixing typo (are-->fare)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: United
Y fares are really high. The one time I flew on a Y was a business trip from Los Angeles to London on Continental. This was in the early 90's. My company wouldn't allow me to book in BusinessFirst, so I asked them if I could book ANY coach fair. They said yes. Round trip Y fare was $4000. The advantage back then for Y was you could immediately upgrade to to BusinessFirst for miles instead of going on the international wait list and it took only half the miles for the upgrade compared to all the other coach fairs (IIRC 20,000 miles vs 40,000 miles).
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
hello all
Quick question. Last time I was 1k was 2008. This week, I will cross 100,000EQMs for 2013 and assume will get my 1K status within a few days.
Will I receive six(6) GPUs immediately ? and then am I entitled to an additional six (6) at the start of 2014?
Sorry If this is a redact question,
cheers
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Wildfan88
hello all
Quick question. Last time I was 1k was 2008. This week, I will cross 100,000EQMs for 2013 and assume will get my 1K status within a few days.
Will I receive six(6) GPUs immediately ?
Yes, you will. IIRC, it was pretty instant for me after the miles posted for my qualifying flight.

and then am I entitled to an additional six (6) at the start of 2014?
No, you will receive 6 more GPUs the next time you cross the 1K qualifying threshold next year. If you do not cross the qualifying threshold again, you will not receive any more GPUs.

You will receive 2 more GPUs for every additional 50K qualifying miles you fly this year, though.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:45 am

.... This week, I will cross 100,000EQMs for 2013 and assume will get my 1K status within a few days.
Will I receive six(6) GPUs immediately ? and then am I entitled to an additional six (6) at the start of 2014?
You will receive 6 GPUs in a week or so and they will be good untij 31 Jan 2015. You will not receive 6 more at the beginning of 2014. The timing and life of the GPUs has changed from 2008 but the quantity is still the same -- just different (better) timing. You will receive 2 more GPU at each 50K PQM threshold above 100K.
You should have received 2 RPUs @ 75K and will receive 2 more having crossed 100K. The process of earning RPUs has also changed since 2008. You will 2 for every 25K PQM starting at 75K. These will be good until 31 Jan 2015 also.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will receive 6 GPUs in a week or so and they will be good untij 31 Jan 2015. You will not receive 6 more at the beginning of 2014. The timing and life of the GPUs has changed from 2008 but the quantity is still the same -- just different (better) timing. You will receive 2 more GPU at each 50K PQM threshold above 100K.
You should have received 2 RPUs @ 75K and will receive 2 more having crossed 100K. The process of earning RPUs has also changed since 2008. You will 2 for every 25K PQM starting at 75K. These will be good until 31 Jan 2015 also.
Thanks for the clarification. THE RPUs showed up about 14 days after my status went from 2p to 1p.
much appreciation for the quick responses.
cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.