Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 3:58 pm

Can't find a dedicated thread on Premier Access, so I'll ask here.

Is there any difference being a non-UA *G or *S on UA?

Don't both *G and *S on UA get the whole set of Premier Access benefits? So, any difference?
Old May 7, 2013, 4:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Can't find a dedicated thread on Premier Access, so I'll ask here.

Is there any difference being a non-UA *G or *S on UA?

Don't both *G and *S on UA get the whole set of Premier Access benefits? So, any difference?
Here is a chart about non-UA *G/*S benefits.
And here's one for UA benefits.

Lots more benefits for UA members flying on UA than for Star Alliance *G/*S members flying on UA. Here are just a few examples:

- Complimentary EP access (upgrade)
- Instant upgrades on Y/B/M fares
- Complimentary same-day flight changes
- Extra 3 checked bags @ 70lbs each free (vs extra 1 bag only for *G)

etc.

Airlines always treat their own elites better than their alliance partners do.

-S
Old May 7, 2013, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sarfa33
Here is a chart about non-UA *G/*S benefits.
And here's one for UA benefits.

Lots more benefits for UA members flying on UA than for Star Alliance *G/*S members flying on UA. Here are just a few examples:

- Complimentary EP access (upgrade)
- Instant upgrades on Y/B/M fares
- Complimentary same-day flight changes
- Extra 3 checked bags @ 70lbs each free (vs extra 1 bag only for *G)

etc.

Airlines always treat their own elites better than their alliance partners do.

-S
What about: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx?

It says that Premier Access if available to *S and *G. Does being *G provide any better Premier Access benefits than *S?
Old May 7, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
What about: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx?

It says that Premier Access if available to *S and *G. Does being *G provide any better Premier Access benefits than *S?
Premier Access means you get the priority lane at security and priority (Group 2) boarding. AFAIK, both *G and *S get that (FWIW, so do Explorer Visa card holders, so not too much special about that).

*S and *G both get priority standby during IRROPS (*G probably has higher priority than *S). *G gets a number of additional benefiits that *S does not, including priority check-in (at the ticket counter), priority baggage handling (*S does not get the orange "Priority" tag), the aforementioned baggage allowance, and access to the United Club (and other *A lounges) when traveling on a *A flight (if your *G status is not with UA or US). More here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ralliance.aspx
Old May 7, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Premier Access means you get the priority lane at security and priority (Group 2) boarding. AFAIK, both *G and *S get that (FWIW, so do Explorer Visa card holders, so not too much special about that).

*S and *G both get priority standby during IRROPS (*G probably has higher priority than *S). *G gets a number of additional benefiits that *S does not, including priority check-in (at the ticket counter), priority baggage handling (*S does not get the orange "Priority" tag), the aforementioned baggage allowance, and access to the United Club (and other *A lounges) when traveling on a *A flight (if your *G status is not with UA or US). More here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ralliance.aspx
Huh?

What is the difference between priority baggage handling (*G benefit) and premier access priority baggage handling (*S and *G benefit via premier access)?

What is the difference between priority check-in (*G benefit) and premier access check-in (*G and *S benefit via premier access)?

The link I gave essentially says that there isn't really that much difference being a non-UA *G/*S flying UA metal.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Huh?

What is the difference between priority baggage handling (*G benefit) and premier access priority baggage handling (*S and *G benefit via premier access)?

What is the difference between priority check-in (*G benefit) and premier access check-in (*G and *S benefit via premier access)?

The link I gave essentially says that there isn't really that much difference being a non-UA *G/*S flying UA metal.
I don't read the link you gave as saying that everyone qualified for all of those benefits. For example, a non-elite can purchase Premier Access, but it doesn't include priority baggage handling.

I would trust the link I posted above the one you posted, as mine is very specific. The one you posted is more like generic marketing-speak.

But believe whichever one you want, and if you end up flying UA as a *S, please post back your experiences.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Huh?

To your two questions -- no difference.

UA provides non-UA *S/*G the same checkin and security screening access as its own Gold/Silver folks and it is the same for Gold or Silver.

Presently boarding is Boarding Group 2 for both UA & non_UA *G/*S. But this has varied in the past and may again in the future. Sometime Gold/*G have been in a separate BG ahead of Silver/*S.

The baggage allowance for Silver/*S and Gold/*G are different. Non-UA *G get lounge access, *S don't. -- so there are atleast two differences.

Of course UA Gold/Silver get a number of benefits on UA flights that non-UA *S/*G does not get -- CPU, E+ access, ... In case of irrops GS>1K>Plat>Gold/*G>Silver/*S.

Originally Posted by jackal
That link is a re-statement of the general *G/*S benefits (and what UA's Gold/Silver should expect) and not specific to UA's treatment of non-UA *G/*S.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2013 at 8:02 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Plat
So finance and I booked on reward tickets from BCN-YYZ-IAH for our honeymoon. We booked in Saver Award Business class. We are business from BCN-YYZ and then cargo from YYZ to IAH. When we booked the trip the YYZ-IAH leg didnt have business on the plane they have since switched planes and now have business class available. Availability shows one saver award seat available, if I call united will they allow us to switch one of the tickets to Business? Or do they just say tough luck wasn't an option when you booked so not one now. There are no more saver awards from BCN-YYZ so I cannot just rebook. Thanks
Old May 8, 2013, 8:38 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Does the online standby list include passengers who are confirmed without a seat assignment? I'm guessing no, but I really have no clue.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To your two questions -- no difference.

UA provides non-UA *S/*G the same checkin and security screening access as its own Gold/Silver folks and it is the same for Gold or Silver.

Presently boarding is Boarding Group 2 for both UA & non_UA *G/*S. But this has varied in the past and may again in the future. Sometime Gold/*G have been in a separate BG ahead of Silver/*S.

The baggage allowance for Silver/*S and Gold/*G are different. Non-UA *G get lounge access, *S don't. -- so there are atleast two differences.

Of course UA Gold/Silver get a number of benefits on UA flights that non-UA *S/*G does not get -- CPU, E+ access, ... In case of irrops GS>1K>Plat>Gold/*G>Silver/*S.

That link is a re-statement of the general *G/*S benefits (and what UA's Gold/Silver should expect) and not specific to UA's treatment of non-UA *G/*S.
Ah, great thanks. Priority check-in/boarding/baggage for both non-UA *S and *G.

3 bag (*G) vs 1 bag (*S) and lounge (*G) vs no lounge (*S) don't really make any difference for me.

---

Originally Posted by pong1092
We are business from BCN-YYZ and then cargo from YYZ to IAH.
Cargo?
Old May 8, 2013, 9:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
We booked in Saver Award Business class. We are business from BCN-YYZ and then cargo from YYZ to IAH.
Cargo?
Self loading cargo @:-)

But to answer the question, I would think a phone call could get you a Biz seat, but only one if there's only one open.

EmailKid
Old May 8, 2013, 9:55 am

Cargo?
Economy Class.

Basically flight changed on one leg that wasn't previously offer as business now does. Can you upgrade the one leg for free since you are already on a business saver award for the trip?
Old May 8, 2013, 10:32 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Basically flight changed on one leg that wasn't previously offer as business now does. Can you upgrade the one leg for free since you are already on a business saver award for the trip?
Originally Posted by EmailKid
But to answer the question, I would think a phone call could get you a Biz seat, but only one if there's only one open.
EmailKid
Old May 8, 2013, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Does the online standby list include passengers who are confirmed without a seat assignment? I'm guessing no, but I really have no clue.
Have never seen such, what are the circumstances?
Old May 8, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
EmailKid
Didn't see your response. Phone call worked, didnt take to long figured it would have taken 30 minutes to wait on hold so didn't want to do it if it was a waste of time. To bad they only had one spot so the finance gets the business class and I will be stuck in the back but one spot is better then nothing. Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.