Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Is there a way I can book USAirways flight through use of MP if I cannot see it under Award travel on united? Do I need to make an account with USAirways? Thanks
Old May 9, 2013, 5:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by matsonjb
Is there a way I can book USAirways flight through use of MP if I cannot see it under Award travel on united? ..
probably no award seats released to Starnet. Can you see the flight on AC or ANA award systems? If US does not release the award seats, you can not book them with UA MP.

You can call UA to check availability if you are concerned the online system is not showing availability but think US has released the seats.

...Do I need to make an account with USAirways? Thanks
to book with US DM, yes --- to book with UA MP, no.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
If your fiancee is anything like mine, I would ask her if she wants to sit in C but without you. Mine got upset when I did put her in BF but I stayed in E+. No more upgrade inventory left and she can't switch back, and somehow I did the wrong thing!
I guess if I don't clear, we'll ask someone in E+ if they want a lucky day in BF. (After reading the myriad of threads on the topic of seat switching, I can't imagine someone would be upset with that kind of switch, would they?!)
Just checked and they added an extra business class fare to the business saver award bucket so called and upgraded mine. So now we are both in business. Thanks for all the help.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Chris1000
No, Credit/Debit only. Get your kid a prepaid debit card at the grocery store or 7-11.
Or buy the meal at 7-11
Old May 10, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
If your fiancee is anything like mine, I would ask her if she wants to sit in C but without you. Mine got upset when I did put her in BF but I stayed in E+. No more upgrade inventory left and she can't switch back, and somehow I did the wrong thing!
I guess if I don't clear, we'll ask someone in E+ if they want a lucky day in BF. (After reading the myriad of threads on the topic of seat switching, I can't imagine someone would be upset with that kind of switch, would they?!)
Has she ever sat in BF? Mine changed her mind about cozyness the first time I gave her my F seat on a transcon (international bird). She still thinks about the sundaes..
Old May 10, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
This question must have been asked before, but I've searched and searched and can't find it.

I am looking 11 months out (April 2014) for an Upgrade Award one-way return from SE Asia to the US West Coast. This probably means departing SIN or HKG, either direct to LAX or SFO, or via NRT or ICN.

UA's website shows zero upgrade availability (as well as near-zero Business award travel) for all TPAC flights 11 months out. I assume this is because they don't release space so far out.

Is this the case? And if so, when do they release space? Or are there simply no Award Upgrades on those flights because they are so business-travel heavy? Will 3P or 2P status change the situation in any way?
Old May 10, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA, HH
I am sure this has been talked about, can't easily find it though...

Is there a specific date after which US Air flights will not earn United miles? I am guessing it should in August, what about later in the year?

Thanks.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
What is the "chicken", as in "I printed my boarding pass at the chicken"? Is it another word for self service kiosk? Thank you.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Artemk

Is there a specific date after which US Air flights will not earn United miles? I am guessing it should in August, what about later in the year?

Thanks.
You're at least a year away from having to worry about it.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
What is the "chicken", as in "I printed my boarding pass at the chicken"? Is it another word for self service kiosk? Thank you.
lol probably meant to say check in
Old May 10, 2013, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by duranza
lol probably meant to say check in
Yes and no. It's intentional.

The OP's guess was correct. I'm actually not sure of the history of the term...it's been used on FT for as long as I've ever known.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
probably no award seats released to Starnet. Can you see the flight on AC or ANA award systems? If US does not release the award seats, you can not book them with UA MP.

You can call UA to check availability if you are concerned the online system is not showing availability but think US has released the seats.

to book with US DM, yes --- to book with UA MP, no.
yeah just checked...no go on that. Is there a way I can add a US flight onto a UA flight so our bags get routed correctly?

Doing UA NRT - IAD and now have to book IAD to JAX b/c change of plans and would like to have it compressed on the same confirmation. The UA flight that is straight to JAX has a 50min connect time and customs and all that would eat that time up, but the US has a 2hr window for customs/grub etc.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gnetwerker
....I am looking 11 months out (April 2014) for an Upgrade Award one-way return from SE Asia to the US West Coast.
UA's website shows zero upgrade availability (as well as near-zero Business award travel) for all TPAC flights 11 months out. I assume this is because they don't release space so far out.

Is this the case? And if so, when do they release space? Or are there simply no Award Upgrades on those flights because they are so business-travel heavy? Will 3P or 2P status change the situation in any way?
Sorry but there are no definitive answers -- TPAC award / upgrade space has been spotty. UA is trying to maximize revenues and protect the premium cabin unless it is clear it is not sellable.

Originally Posted by Artemk

Thanks.
No announcement this yet. Not even a high level timeline for the AA/US merger. While I would not go as far as a year, but IMO doubtful it will occur before 2014 if DL/NW or UA/CO is a predictor.

yeah just checked...no go on that. Is there a way I can add a US flight onto a UA flight so our bags get routed correctly? ...
unclear what the question is -- believe you are interested in award flights -- no way to have an award flights from two programs on the same PNR or a mixture of paid / award on the same PNR. A paid ticket could have a UA flight and a US flight on one PNR.
Even with two separate tickets / PNR, you can check your bags all the way . Just present the two tickets at checkin and request the bags checked to the destination. very standard to do this.

... Doing UA NRT - IAD and now have to book IAD to JAX b/c change of plans and would like to have it compressed on the same confirmation. The UA flight that is straight to JAX has a 50min connect time and customs and all that would eat that time up, but the US has a 2hr window for customs/grub etc.
agree 50 min ID @ IAD is problem but 2 hrs with separate PNRs is potentially ugly.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gnetwerker
I am looking 11 months out (April 2014) for an Upgrade Award one-way return from SE Asia to the US West Coast. This probably means departing SIN or HKG, either direct to LAX or SFO, or via NRT or ICN.
My observation (not on this specific itinerary) is that they will add and remove availability frequently. You really need to monitor availability with ExpertFlyer so you can jump on it when it comes up. Just checking every once in a while isn't going to do it.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by aacharya
Has she ever sat in BF? Mine changed her mind about cozyness the first time I gave her my F seat on a transcon (international bird). She still thinks about the sundaes..
She has as well as in LY F/C and maybe BA or LX. Her dad is Top Platinum with LY (highest status), 1K with UA, Silver with BA, and SEN with M&M. And she still told me I'm not allowed to upgrade unless there are 2 seats left. Just can't win

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.