Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 6:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BenSDQ
Flying 19. of June SDQ-EWR in Business, which seat is best for someone traveling alone? I'm an aisle-person and love the extra legroom.
Thanks!
This will be a standard domestic aircraft (so Business is relabeled Domestic First)-- none of the seats have a huge legroom but are adequate. A pet peeve of mine is the recline of the seat in front of you is enough to make a full size laptop (14" or bigger) difficult. Hence I tend to go for Row 1(B).

Originally Posted by sundinkc
Hello. Thinking of using some miles to book HNL-IAD. After I book into economy, will there be a way to buy, using $$$, into E+? If so, will that option be available immediately? Thanks!
Yes, Yes
Old May 17, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I purchased tickets for DEN->ORD on June 14 and back on June 17. The outgoing flight is Class N and return is G. How are we booked in an award seat on the way out? And how are we booked in a travel-industry discount fare on the way back?
Old May 17, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djrez4
I purchased tickets for DEN->ORD on June 14 and back on June 17. The outgoing flight is Class N and return is G. How are we booked in an award seat on the way out? ...
no

Originally Posted by djrez4
....And how are we booked in a travel-industry discount fare on the way back?
your reference is out of date. N is now a super low discount paid fare.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post17296500
Old May 17, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Thank you sir. Google failed me.
Old May 18, 2013, 3:31 am
Suspended

I live in Turkey,so having status on TK for upgrades and so on is obviously most important for me,however I think I could make simple gold(50k) on UA next year in adition to TK,and certainly silver. I will do a few longhaul UA in Y,which is no fun at all to say the least.My question is this : will being entry level G (have no chance to make 100K) give me any chance for complimentary upgrades or cheaper (miles or cash) paid upgrades from K class? What abouth complimentary E+ at least,have to pay for this with TK plastic! If the chances are slim I will just credit everything to TK bcs the awards are realy cheap with them.Also,do UA use a 12 month or calender year for earning miles,if 12 months I should definetely be able to make 50,maybe even 75 K. Thanks!!!

Last edited by geirfugl; May 18, 2013 at 4:14 am
Old May 18, 2013, 9:32 am
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Award travel question, if travel is on all UA metal and travel has begun. Can the routing and destination be changed on remaining segments provided there is availability? Did a google search but came up with nothing.
Old May 18, 2013, 9:59 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by geirfugl
My question is this : will being entry level G (have no chance to make 100K) give me any chance for complimentary upgrades or cheaper (miles or cash) paid upgrades from K class? What abouth complimentary E+
Believe Ca$h and miles upgrades are the same for everyone, but in addition to $$$ you must also use about 20,000 UA miles (this varies by route, but around $500 to $600 plus the miles) each way. Paying $$$ only is normally MUCH more expensive.

You are eligible for E+ as Silver (25K) miles at checkin and you can select E+ anytime as Gold (50K), but those miles have to be earned each and every calendar year, i.e. Qualifying miles are reset to ZERO on January 1.

Oh, and you can also buy up to E+ for (what I consider) a reasonable price, and UA Insider just announced that UA has reinstated a yearly option for E+, i.e. you can pay for a whole year of E+. Used to be about $350, don't know what it will be this time.

EmailKid
Old May 18, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by joony
Award travel question, if travel is on all UA metal and travel has begun. Can the routing and destination be changed on remaining segments provided there is availability? ...
yes and as a MP Plat you will be exempt from award change fees including the 21 day rule.
Old May 18, 2013, 9:14 pm

Finding ways for kids to earn more miles

We have 2 young kids. Can we use their FF#'s when we stay at partner hotels or when shopping on the MileagePlus Shopping site to earn them miles faster? Are there other ways minors can earn miles besides flying?
Old May 18, 2013, 9:28 pm

Welcome to FT!, Simcam
Originally Posted by Simcam
We have 2 young kids. Can we use their FF#'s when we stay at partner hotels or when shopping on the MileagePlus Shopping site to earn them miles faster? Are there other ways minors can earn miles besides flying?
The account names are supposed to match the payer's name but some partners have been known to credit spouse account -- not sure about minor children.

It may not be in your best interest to fragment your miles in multiple accounts. It can be more flexible to have the miles in one account and if that account has status, all those that use those miles inherit the status.

Some simple iTunes purchases annually will be enough to maintain the kids account if not flying enough to avoid mileage expiration.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Question about the fee for "Changing your origin or destination city" on an award ticket. I thought it only applied to the original or destination of the entire trip. For example, I'm flying IND-YYZ-LHR, LHR-PEK-HGH, PVG-ICN-YYZ-IND. I thought the only way to incur the change fee is if I changed my first origin (IND) or final destination (IND). But, when I called MP to change the last portion (bolded) to CTU-NRT-YYZ-IND, the agent says the screen is telling her to charge the change fee, and her supervisor advised the same. Is she correct that the change fee applies to original/destination on any portion of the trip?

Last edited by italdesign; May 19, 2013 at 9:08 am
Old May 19, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Think of it more like a one-way with a matching return trip. Your origin is where you start, your destination is where you end, and then you turn around and go back to your origin.

Due to open jaws, each of the origin and destination can be two different places. Your origin is IND, your destination is HGH/PVG, and you're looking to change it to HGH/CTU. You can change your routing within a particular leg without a fee, but if you stop/restart at a different airport, you pay the change fee. (I don't know how stopovers work here, whether you can change your LHR stopover to another airport without a fee or not.)
Old May 19, 2013, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by italdesign
Is she correct that the change fee applies to original/destination on any portion of the trip?
IME, yes.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GregMM
Think of it more like a one-way with a matching return trip. Your origin is where you start, your destination is where you end, and then you turn around and go back to your origin.

Due to open jaws, each of the origin and destination can be two different places. Your origin is IND, your destination is HGH/PVG, and you're looking to change it to HGH/CTU. You can change your routing within a particular leg without a fee, but if you stop/restart at a different airport, you pay the change fee. (I don't know how stopovers work here, whether you can change your LHR stopover to another airport without a fee or not.)
Interesting. Originally that portion originated from CTU, then the date changed and I could only find origins from PVG. That change incurred no fee. Guess the agent liked me.
Old May 19, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Say I am traveling ORD-SFO-HKG in UA F then SQ F. 1K on UA.

Am I entitled to GS/GF checkin at ORD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.