Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 4:03 am

"upgrade reservation" button not showing up

Hello to the experts,

I have book a TATL flight for 5/19 (this friday) and would like to use a GPU to upgrade it. The flight ticketed early in the afternoon yesterday and when i go to the "view reservation" page on the website the "upgrade reservation" button does not show up.

Is it normal that it take a while to show up or is something wrong (also, checkmytrip does not recognize the confirmation number)?

Thanks for your answers
Old May 16, 2013, 7:53 am

Hi all,

I am waiting on a visa, and I am likely to have to push back an United award booking (MUC-JFK, booked through UA, but the flight happens to by operated by LH). My original booking is a Saver Award, which costed me 30k miles and $103 in taxes. I may have to push back more than once, but I will only be changing the date of the flight, not the departure/origin. I'm Premier Silver.

I'm looking at http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx, and I just want to double check I've understood it.

I understand from that link that the dividing line for change fees is whether the NEW flight is in more/less than 21 days. So am I right in thinking that it makes no difference when the OLD flight, the original booking, is. I.e. I could change a flight that leaves in, say, 72 hours to a flight more than 21 days and there would be no change fee? And I can do this many times?

(I understand that there may be non change fee charges of taxes and extra miles if my booking class or layover changes. This question is just about change fees.)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
Old May 16, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Which lounge to use at SFO?

Flying out internationally with a 3 hour layover in SFO. There's 2 United lounges and a SQ lounge available. I'm assuming the SQ lounge will be better?
Old May 16, 2013, 9:26 am

Do you get the 75% bonus miles for flying on AC flights as a member with status say (Premier Platinum)??
Old May 16, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by awu25
Flying out internationally with a 3 hour layover in SFO. There's 2 United lounges and a SQ lounge available. I'm assuming the SQ lounge will be better?
I think the SFO lounges are some of the nicest UCs in the system (which isn't saying much) except that they lack showers, but I'd assume the SQ lounge is superior just because the UCs set the bar so low.

If you have access to the SQ lounge, it's probably a better bet.

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Do you get the 75% bonus miles for flying on AC flights as a member with status say (Premier Platinum)??
According to http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...r/bonuses.aspx, yes:

Premier bonus award miles are also available on select MileagePlus partner carriers, including Air Canada...
Old May 16, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by williamsmj

I understand from that link that the dividing line for change fees is whether the NEW flight is in more/less than 21 days. So am I right in thinking that it makes no difference when the OLD flight, the original booking, is. I.e. I could change a flight that leaves in, say, 72 hours to a flight more than 21 days and there would be no change fee? And I can do this many times?

Mike
Your interpretation is correct. As for many times - up to a year from original ticketing (ignoring the exceptions sometimes granted).

Originally Posted by tim034
Hello to the experts,

I have book a TATL flight for 5/19 (this friday) and would like to use a GPU to upgrade it. The flight ticketed early in the afternoon yesterday and when i go to the "view reservation" page on the website the "upgrade reservation" button does not show up.

Is it normal that it take a while to show up or is something wrong (also, checkmytrip does not recognize the confirmation number)?

Thanks for your answers
Does expert mode show space available?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reason: merge
Old May 16, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Does expert mode show space available?
I am not sure how to check that (which fare bucket should show availability?)

As far as I remember, even when there is no space available for upgrade the upgrade reservation button should be present, am I wrong?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gandaberunda
FTers,

I am a basic member of MileagePlus.
So, short flights get the exact number of miles as MileagePlus points, right? The 500 mile minimum is for Premier and above?
I noticed a discrepancy (or outright lie) on the United website using the Mileage Calculator:
selecting one way ORD-LAN in discounted economy as Premier Silver/Gold/Plat only earns 179 miles + a bonus. No 500 mile minimum whatsoever.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by awu25
SQ lounge is small but may have better food -- the difference between the UC & SQ is smaller than you might expect. Additionally the SFO SQ lounge does not follow the standard *A lounge access rules and at times restrists access to their pasagners only

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-domestic.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-access.html

Originally Posted by kaiotes
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=313

Hello to the experts,

Thanks for your answers
I am not sure how to check that (which fare bucket should show availability?)

As far as I remember, even when there is no space available for upgrade the upgrade reservation button should be present, am I wrong?
Assuming the ticket has been issued, the use of an e-cert and other special cases can cause the online upgrade request not to show (the lack of upgrade space is not a cause). In these cases the best solution is to call -- the phone agent should have no problem.

The fare bucket for upgrades from economy to business is R/RN.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I noticed a discrepancy (or outright lie) on the United website using the Mileage Calculator:
selecting one way ORD-LAN in discounted economy as Premier Silver/Gold/Plat only earns 179 miles + a bonus. No 500 mile minimum whatsoever.
best to assuming the Mileage Calculator is non-functional (not a lie -- just does not work in many cases).
Old May 16, 2013, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The "filler" to 500 minimums has not properly been reflected on the calculator in years. Up to you if you consider that a willful lie or just incompetence (or if there is a difference).
Old May 16, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: United Gold
I'm on a Q fare HNL-ORD later this month. The flight is CPU eligible so I was wondering how far down from a full Y fare a Q fare would be.

Is there a list somewhere that ranks the fares in the same order that the CPU algorithm would use to upgrade passengers?
Old May 16, 2013, 4:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I'm on a Q fare HNL-ORD later this month. The flight is CPU eligible so I was wondering how far down from a full Y fare a Q fare would be.

Is there a list somewhere that ranks the fares in the same order that the CPU algorithm would use to upgrade passengers?
Complimentary Premier Upgrades

Upgrades overview

Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N (for upgrades from United Economy® to the next higher class of service on all aircraft).
Q is the upper-middle third of fares.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:33 pm

United 737-900

Flying 19. of June SDQ-EWR in Business, which seat is best for someone traveling alone? I'm an aisle-person and love the extra legroom.
Thanks!
Old May 17, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, etc.
Hello. Thinking of using some miles to book HNL-IAD. After I book into economy, will there be a way to buy, using $$$, into E+? If so, will that option be available immediately? Thanks!
Old May 17, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BenSDQ
Flying 19. of June SDQ-EWR in Business, which seat is best for someone traveling alone? I'm an aisle-person and love the extra legroom.
Thanks!
It's a normal 739, so any of the "Business" seats will do you fine. Some like Row 1, but check seat-guru as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.