Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Down from many reasons in the past it now is
  • free changes to award tickets - I book 4-5 times more awards than I actually fly simply because I can always ditch the ones I won't need
  • generous luggage limits. I can travel to North America with 350lb of luggage and merely pay 2 extra bags - a great feature I have yet to meet elsewhere
  • 6 SWUs which are still quite good on full fares
  • E+ for the uS domestic market (as I never clear UDU
  • it's easy to reach. Much easier than comparable elite levels on other carriers
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by weero
]it's easy to reach. Much easier than comparable elite levels on other carriers[/list]
Can you explain what you mean? Is it really easier than Exec Platinum on AA? Yes, Diamond is 25K more but Diamond is the highest level on Delta (i.e. there is no GS above it).
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:31 pm

UDUs are rapidly becoming a thing of the past ... 1Ks are often trumped by GMs.

Originally Posted by 1KPath
My CS "angels" at LAX, SFO and in BOS have been telling me (independently) that they are being told that to expect UDU upgrades to become more difficult for the average 1K (and other elites as well) after March 3rd...I hope they are incorrect, but I am not holding my breath!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by malgudi
UDUs are rapidly becoming a thing of the past ... 1Ks are often trumped by GMs.
I haven't found that at all -- I've been getting more UDU upgrades than I have in the past.

Again -- this is soley my personal experience -- but the UDU chicken little sky is falling no upgrades hasn't happened to me.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:41 pm

Not sure if I would call this "chicken little"

Originally Posted by johnmont
I haven't found that at all -- I've been getting more UDU upgrades than I have in the past.

Again -- this is soley my personal experience -- but the UDU chicken little sky is falling no upgrades hasn't happened to me.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
As a 1k for the past 15 years, this year especially, has really seen me start to think of changing carriers. I am 7/39 segments this year in upgrades, and the reality is of the 8 or 9 segments where it really mattered, I am 0%. (could really care less to upgrade a 48 minute flight).

My company policy is to purchase tickets at 7 days out, wherever possible, and so the tickets are not cheap. The problem is that even though they are a 7 day fare that's semi expensive, they usually end up booked in E, or U fare buckets so I loose the auto up on an M, or the GS qualification tags of a Y/B fare.

Also I purchase personally a few Z fare intl tix every year for vacations etc. Nothing that will put me up a status level, but the SWU lottery is not for me, and discounted C has been pretty competitive fare wise.

I spend on average over the last 15 years about 40 to 45k, which may be on the edge of GS, but I have never received the invite. - Not a big deal in the past - but lately, it's a little frustrating to be #7-10 on an upgrade list as a 1k.

I am not saying I should expect an upgrade all the time. I know where my loyalty puts me in pecking order. However, couple the upgrade % with fact that I lost out by less than 75k miles from getting United Club for life, with no chance to appeal, and the new benefit after spending 7 years of flying between 1mm and 2mm being the same or less as I already had for being a 1mm flyer, the grass is looking greener at other carriers.

DL, for instance if you overlook sky pesos (I generally never use the miles for "trips" anyway), Platinum comes with lounge access, and a very high percentage of upgrades - is appealing. Since they are starting some E+ type seating it's even looking a lot more attractive.

I am keeping an open mind, as I wouldn't have stuck with UA for 1.9mm (2mm with CO bump) through the worst of times, if there were other "better" options, but it does seem like the overall landscape is changing!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Can you explain what you mean? Is it really easier than Exec Platinum on AA? Yes, Diamond is 25K more but Diamond is the highest level on Delta (i.e. there is no GS above it).
For aliens like me yes. Grace to the broader availability of full-fares and Z fares and the fact that EQM counts towards 1K ... yes, it became much easier.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
I spend on average over the last 15 years about 40 to 45k, which may be on the edge of GS, but I have never received the invite. - Not a big deal in the past - but lately, it's a little frustrating to be #7-10 on an upgrade list as a 1k....
all indications, only Full Fare $$$ matter for GS, so E/U fares probably are not counted.

.... However, couple the upgrade % with fact that I lost out by less than 75k miles from getting United Club for life, with no chance to appeal, ...
did you appeal?? were you turned down? others did appeal and some have had success.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post17521286 (case #1)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post17629263 (case #2)
beleive there is atleast one other that has posted

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm Reason: second case
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
all indications, only Full Fare $$$ matter for GS, so E/U fares probably are not counted.

did you appeal?? were you turned down? others did appeal and some have had success.
I am fairly certain that my travel patterns don't qualify for GS - as I probably would have been one by now. I am in no means bitter. I realize there are those who spend 5x more than I do on an annual basis, and don't expect I come near to that kind of contribution to UA.

As for the appeal, I have emailed 1k voice, and got a generic response that I did not have the required BIS miles for Red Carpet Club (UA Club) benefit at 2mm. I then responded, and have yet to hear back, but I am not loosing all hope - who knows. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Worst case, I hope the CO PPlus Credit card moves over to UA, and I'll get my UC membership that way, as there are a few other benefits to that card as well (Avis Presidential, etc), so all is not lost.

Either way, the current state of affairs, in my particular case does have me wondering a bit as to the best place to direct my travel $$ to maximize my travel experience and benefits.

Will wait and see how the appeal goes, and how the conversion works post 3/3 and decide I suppose.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
not sure why so many have issues with "diminishing" 1K benefits...only thing i have seen is that i don't get as many regional upgrades as i used to qtrly. i am based in ORD and have only missed one of 10 this year so far. have 4 segments booked next week and am already upgraded on 3 and the 4th has no F.

1k has been pretty darn good to me...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jacroweORD
not sure why so many have issues with "diminishing" 1K benefits...
Are you enjoying them ?

Most people who have an issue with 1K and UA - as I do - these days are those who experienced the steady decline of 1K.
1k has been pretty darn good to me...
I would not give it up probably but I will stay clear of UA when I don't have to go to the US and will not use them to 3rd countries and within Asia anymore. They are simply not good enough.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:46 pm

Why bother ... looks like you might be able to get *G via the MP Club Card
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
DL, for instance if you overlook sky pesos (I generally never use the miles for "trips" anyway), Platinum comes with lounge access, and a very high percentage of upgrades - is appealing. Since they are starting some E+ type seating it's even looking a lot more attractive.
Just to clarify.... DL Plats do not receive automatic SkyClub access. Many of them access the lounges via a Plat AmEx card, but this is available to virtually anyone flying on DL. Plats, as well as Golds, may have intl lounge access because both are members of SkyTeam Elite+.

DL does give Diamonds complimentary SC membership. This is actually better than only access because it means Diamonds can enjoy the lounge even if not flying DL or connection carriers. Of course, there may be an issue accessing the lounges because most are post-TSA.

Most DL intl aircraft include their version of E+ (they call it EC). This year they are adding it to the dom fleet so some a/c are converted, others are on the way. Most of them seem to have only 4-5 rows of EC so UA E+ may offer more seating.

DL UG's generally are pretty good but you will find there is more grumbling this year, for the same reasons as reported in this forum. Without doing an actual count, it seems that DL Boeing a/c have larger first class sections overall but UG's are very competitive, especially through hubs at busy travel times.

DL and UA have some great features in their elite programs, but they also have some weak links. Without doubt, most would say DL's poorest feature is requiring an M+ fare to apply intl UG certs (Plats can get 4 free). For example, an UG from coach to biz elite r/t to Asia is about $4,500 right now. Looks to me like this is substantially higher than the req from UA.

Bottom line, the grass is not always greener with another airline but even if it is today, that grass can become pretty brown by tomorrow.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by johnmont
But it got me thinking that while I do appreciate a lot of that because of flying so much, the big win for being 1K for me is -- without a doubt -- what happens when flights go wrong.
Me too! UA has been great to this 1K when things go wrong. One example of many:

Last May, flying on a Z fare SFO-CDG-SFO (via IAD). Woke up early in Paris to check flight status for the IAD flight back to the USA, and saw "flight cancelled" in red letters. After a moment or two in shock, followed by the realization that there were no later flights to IAD, I hopped on Skype and called the US 1K line (heart beating rapidly). Less than 5 minutes later, rebooked in C on Lufthansa to FRA and then on the non-stop in 747 F (a very nice experience!) to SFO. Got there earlier than I would have on the original flights.

Thanks UA!

(Also reinforced the need to always get up early to check on return flights to the USA, and also to carry my headset for Skype calls!)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:16 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Please feel free to continue the discussion on: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post20192103

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA Forum co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.