Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 6:39 pm

Made 1K (1st time) - When do I get the plastic? Your favorite benefit?

Just made 1K for the first time (several years of Prem Exec) and excited to see it post. I was upgraded on LH (FRA-JNB A380) to business on the flight that made me 1K, so that was a nice way to ring things in. The upgrade was a fluke - they had given away my E seat so they walked me upstairs to the last C seat.

Will I get my card automatically or do I need to request it? Can I request it or does it just come in 2012?

Which is the best Star Alliance partner, if any, especially as far as international flights are concerned, that might give some form of recognition for 1K?

Finally, anyone know how many 1K's there are in the UA/CO world?

Tornado
Old May 22, 2011, 7:36 pm
2zz

Programs: SQ, UA, US, TG
Congrats!

You should get your card automatically, similar to when you qualify for any of the other statuses, whether 1P or GS.

Unfortunately, my experience is that 1P, 1K and GS are treated as the same *Gold level on the other Star airlines. You will need to fly UA to experience the differences.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by halls120
Is it worth it? Well, as a 1P, my upgrade success rate hovers at or just below 50%. As a 1K, it was in the mid-90% range.

Hell yes it's worth it.
I'm going to amend the above to say "yes, it's worth it if scoring UDU upgrades is important. Because of recent changes implemented by UA, though, I'm less likely to strive for 1K ever again, as they appear to be cheapening 1K."
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:05 pm

500 mile milage run to 1k worth it?

Hi,

I'm 500 miles away from qualifying for 1k and about to book summer tickets to take the family to Europe in July. If I were 1k the family would be sitting in E+ or even better in business using the SWUs.

Buying round trip tickets for three from SFO to ARN is about $6k. For that price I think I rather fly the family in Premium Economy with SAS or other European airline. I was not able to find any award tickets either.

Is 1k really going to make much difference (availability of award tickets, likelihood of SWUs clearing), making it worth the big hassle of flying somewhere this week to get the additional 500 miles I need? Are there other ways to earn the last 500 miles than jumping on a plane?

/ Karl
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT
If you book all of your tickets on one PNR all of you will be in Econ + - you don't need to be 1K because you already are PE. You will get the SWU's when you hit 1K (in previous years you had to wait until January). But there is no certainty that upgradable seats will be available and you will need to purchase a more expensive fare in order to enter the SWU lottery.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!
Only you can decide the "worth" of flying 500 EQMs this week. You may moved upto 1K without getting on a plane as you're that close. But I wouldn't count on it.
1K status trumps 1Ps, 2Ps etc on upgrades and invariably on irrops handling.
Take a look at this thread of people who have asked the same question as you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-11-posts.html
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nigos
Welcome to FT
If you book all of your tickets on one PNR all of you will be in Econ + - you don't need to be 1K because you already are PE. You will get the SWU's when you hit 1K (in previous years you had to wait until January). But there is no certainty that upgradable seats will be available and you will need to purchase a more expensive fare in order to enter the SWU lottery.
1Ps can only bring 1 companion into E+, IIRC, and the OP is traveling with 2 companions. 1Ks get up to 8 companions on the same PNR.

To answer part of the OP's question: other than flying (and 500 EQM for a now-1P will require only one segment flown anywhere), Chase credit card EQMs are the only other way to get them--and I'd be concerned with the timeframe for the Chase miles.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
To use SWUS from SFO to ARN, presumably you'd want to use them on the SFO-LHR or SFO-FRA nonstops and then fly LH or SAS to ARN. The TATL flights are two very difficult routes to use SWUs (although perhaps not quite as difficult during the summer months and perhaps not as difficult in turn on the evening FRA nonstop). You could also get printed SWUs and use them on a standby, day of travel basis on LH to either FRA or MUC. Finding 3 seats to upgrade on one flight is going to be a challenge on any flight, but might be easiest on the evening nonstop to FRA for which there seems to be is less demand and more availability to upgrade to C with the unlikelihood of having the new C on this route for now.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I doubt anyone on FT would not suggest doing the additional 500 miles for 1K. It means just 1 additional segment (on UA/CO/LH/AC/...).

For non-USA based members, flying any *A partner is the only way to earn EQMs. (USA members can also earn EQMs with credit card)

Note UA SWUs are usable on LH

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-11-posts.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-merged.html
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:24 pm

thanks for the responses

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. There's no doubt I'll make 1k very soon through business trips, the question was more about the likelihood of getting three passengers upgraded with SWUs or getting access to a special stash of award tickets only available to 1ks.

SFOturtle - my plan was to go through FRA or LHR and try to upgrade the trans-atlantic legs.

I think we'll fly with SAS or other *A airline. I fly enough United through work, I don't mind seeing something different.

/ K
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by karljohan
Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. There's no doubt I'll make 1k very soon through business trips, the question was more about the likelihood of getting three passengers upgraded with SWUs or getting access to a special stash of award tickets only available to 1ks.
You will find upgrade using SWUs are not as easy as you think, especially on heavily traveled routes and weekend flights. Additionally you need to purchase W fare in order to be in upgrade line

Special awards for 1K (NY fare basis) are only for economy seats. Lately, XY and NY seats are identical.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I stopped buying W fares altogether.

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You will find upgrade using SWUs are not as easy as you think, especially on heavily traveled routes and weekend flights. Additionally you need to purchase W fare in order to be in upgrade line
I agree. I have stopped buying W fares altogether. If I can't get NC confirmation, then I'm not flying United. No gate-lottery for me. If I have to sit in Y, I'll fly LH instead with its much better personal AVOD, better food, better wine, and still get my miles...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I agree. I have stopped buying W fares altogether. If I can't get NC confirmation, then I'm not flying United. No gate-lottery for me. If I have to sit in Y, I'll fly LH instead with its much better personal AVOD, better food, better wine, and still get my miles...
E+ might be a determinate here for me....unless you are getting exit row or similar seat assignments in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
SFOFlyer123's strategy is well-taken. Waiting for the upgrade is too stress-inducing before the fact, and if you don't get it you feel quite foolish paying for W after the fact for E+.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget that SWU's are sent out as soon as you qualify now (and expire 12 months later), so saving that 500 miles will postpone that, if you want it postponed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.