Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by as219
I think 1Ks' UDUs are going to be clearing much more than before.
I can see some logic on ex-CO operated flights, but I don't really know why that would be on ex-UA operated flights. On ex-UA operated flights 1K and even 1P trump Platinums.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless the F cabin is full of TOD's....
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I can see some logic on ex-CO operated flights, but I don't really know why that would be on ex-UA operated flights. On ex-UA operated flights 1K and even 1P trump Platinums.
January is always the worst month regardless of any merge activity as you've got people who qualified for a particular status level in either 2010 or 2011 sitting at that level. Normally, come a day or two into February that change as everyone who qualified in 2010 but didn't qualify in 2011 drops to their new level. Obviously there's a fair amount of overlap year-to-year, but it's not 100%.

This year that's going to carry on for a few extra weeks/months, but come the start-ish of March hopefully we'll see at least a partial drop in the number of 1K's...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
My CS "angels" at LAX, SFO and in BOS have been telling me (independently) that they are being told that to expect UDU upgrades to become more difficult for the average 1K (and other elites as well) after March 3rd...I hope they are incorrect, but I am not holding my breath!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by 1KPath
My CS "angels" at LAX, SFO and in BOS have been telling me (independently) that they are being told that to expect UDU upgrades to become more difficult for the average 1K (and other elites as well) after March 3rd...I hope they are incorrect, but I am not holding my breath!
I've seen my UDU not clear at all (must be at least 95% failure rate) now being 1K. Won't be surprised that 1Ks with discount fares will not going to get any upgrades this year after system integration. United has devalued every elite members except GS . I guess new United mgt thinks they could survive with general public just selecting low airfares...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Competent platinums would have matched to their respective 1K/1P level and used the appropriate number when traveling. In conversations with seatmates in both F and the exit row (when upgrades didn't clear, go figure), I'd say that there was about 60% penetration on getting 1Ps/Plats/1Ks to link accounts.

As a 1K since this past November, I'm only really disappointed by the disaster the boarding order has become as of late.

The rewards of MP itself continue to drive my business to UA. If that's significantly devalued (whether by routing rules, change fees, award tiers, LH/LX leaving *A, etc.), I'd consider moving over to DL or simply flying less (gasp) as my travel is entirely leisure. (Note: I'm also an AA EXP, so I still have options for my travel. If I were booking a simple revenue trip to Japan, I'd probably book on AA and eVIP. )
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:57 pm

Going forward, the only way anyone except GS can assure an upgrade is to spend something--$$, instruments or miles. The comp upgrades--UDU--will be handed out as leftovers.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
What's your #1 reason you maintain 1K?

FlyerTalk is great to read about everyone's opinions related to being a 1K -- including upgrades, food quality, boarding process, etc. But it got me thinking that while I do appreciate a lot of that because of flying so much, the big win for being 1K for me is -- without a doubt -- what happens when flights go wrong.

Was at LGA on Thursday -- this after a week of travel from New Zealand to Sydney to LAX. Then finally home one night in ORD before off to LGA. Needless to say, I was travel tired.

So when a mechanical happened on the 12:30 back to ORD, I knew it was going to be rough. LGA feels a bit like a third world terminal to me and the fact that all the flights are so booked (on ALL airlines) makes things rough when flights are cancelled. But the fact that I got access to quick help on the 1K call center line while hundreds were in line at cust serv was huge. And the fact that I ended up going standby and was first on the list...it only took two flights for me to get home.

Moments like those (IRROPS) are when I really really need and want the status. To get somewhere I need to be. Like home.

Food? I sleep on most flights and enjoy food at a real restaurant when I arrive. Boarding priority? I don't really want to get on the plane early. UDU? OK, I do like those.

Curious what your favorite/most important benefit of being 1K is?

Last edited by johnmont; Feb 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'd have to say access to the lounges on the flights over the water and the free First Class upgrades. Also I can bring my family up into Economy Plus for free which just saved me $500+ on our vacation trip.

Free Economy Plus is why I switched from American to United. American has nicer aircraft going to Japan but horrible flights to Hawaii so it's a tradeoff for me.

My .02
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Number one for me is the quick resolution of problems when they arise and the personalize attention give to 1ks.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
SWUs for me; I've successfully burned two this year upfaring L->W (PDX-EWR-FRA). I generally book last minute, and I usually can find R/NC within T-96. Wish you could reduced co-pay with SWUs, but at least they're usable unlike their DL counterparts.

I've also found IRROPS with CO Plat/United 1k to be pretty good when EWR self-destructed last November (though admittly considerably slower than what I'm used to); was able to work with a great agent to get six people rebooked via PHL.

Also like CR-1s for flying PS (PDX-SFO/LAX-JFK), although the last two times I cleared an upgrade, the inbound flight was delayed or I accepted a VDB and was rerouted, so I haven't actually 'burned' one yet. Most of my CR-1s will probably be donated to friends/family flying UA/CO.

Generally won't play the upgrade lotto game by buying W if R=0 but if I end up in W regardless, I'll try for a waitlisted upgrade.

As Plat on CO, I have yet to miss an upgrade; haven't flown on UA metal since hitting 1k due to being out of the country, and I found R on my last TATL trip on CO metal.

Very satisfied as a 1k/CO plat.

EDIT: Also full-Y force. I've only needed it once, but it was a godsend
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:38 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by johnmont
Curious what your favorite/most important benefit of being 1K is?

Originally Posted by XwingPilot
I'd have to say access to the lounges on the flights over the water and the free First Class upgrades. Also I can bring my family up into Economy Plus for free which just saved me $500+ on our vacation trip.

Free Economy Plus is why I switched from American to United. American has nicer aircraft going to Japan but horrible flights to Hawaii so it's a tradeoff for me.

My .02

No,No, No...that's 3 reasons. Stick to the thread topic please.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by mkr
No,No, No...that's 3 reasons. Stick to the thread topic please.
Ha! Was thinking the same thing, but chickened out of posting...

So what's your #1, mkr?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:48 pm
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by NCommander
SWUs for me;

I've also found IRROPS with CO Plat/United 1k to be pretty good when EWR self-destructed last November

Also like CR-1s for flying PS (PDX-SFO/LAX-JFK),

Generally won't play the upgrade lotto game by buying W if R=0 but if I end up in W regardless, I'll try for a waitlisted upgrade.

Also full-Y force. I've only needed it once, but it was a godsend

No,No, No...that's 5 reasons. Stick to the thread topic please.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:50 pm
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnmont
So what's your #1, mkr?

Quick schedule changes with call to 1 K line.^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.