Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
If you do primarily TPACs like I do, I would say 1K is not worth going out of your way to get.

The SWU clearing lottery is not a game worth paying to play.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
If you do primarily TPACs like I do, I would say 1K is not worth going out of your way to get.

The SWU clearing lottery is not a game worth paying to play.

Yeah, TPAC can be rough so consider where and when you fly.

If you're going to somewhere like HKG on the weekends, SWU's on w-fares are definitely a lottery and the odds seem pretty poor. I've cleared 0 times on 4 attempts on HKG or PVG weekend flights in the last year .

However I'm 100% on on easier routes like SEA-NRT and on weekdays to/from HKG (2/2, both clearing day-of)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by smashr
I was in your same situation this time last year. (Had an unexpected SYD trip, which put me close to 1K for the first time ever, but still needed about 11k). I went for it, and I was glad I did. At the time my rationale was that I knew I would be doing at least 3 international trips the following year, plus another ~40k domestic.

I had thought that 1K would be a one-year-only thing for me, but it turns out I'll be over 100k on booked travel alone this year. Thus, it turned out even better than expected as I got more use out of the extra benefits (namely upgrade priority) than I expected to.

Now next year, 1K UDUs won't be quite the same slam-dunk they are today (as Silvers on government/corporate Y-fares will be trumping 1Ks), but you will still get some CR1s and some SWUs out of it, 25% extra mileage, and still certainly better upgrade priority than you would get as a Platinum. Bottom line, if you are reasonably sure you will fly enough both domestic and international next year to make use of it, I'd say go for it.

Just found out I'm going to HKG for 5 days for a "summit" at a resort in Macau. ^

Looks like I'll hit it on 12/31 with my BOS > DEN flight now

Cheers,
Adam
Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Exclamation to 1K or not to 1K

I'm sitting on about 95Kish miles and am thinking if it is worth it to do a MR to renew that cherished 1K status for this coming year.

Thoughts pro and con would be appreciated...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
at 95K that seems like an easy answer - one cross country gets you there.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Originally Posted by alaroia
I'm sitting on about 95Kish miles and am thinking if it is worth it to do a MR to renew that cherished 1K status for this coming year.

Thoughts pro and con would be appreciated...
Pros
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
at 95K that seems like an easy answer - one cross country gets you there.
^
2. If you think 1k is being devalued next year, try 1P where 2011 100% mileage bonus will go down to 50%, representative of yet another change to like.
3. Six entries for the SWU lottery, as stated by others it is customary that W and above no longer clears weeks in advance a lot of times, but you've already given UA 45k in extra business at this point, so the 5k marginal business should be a formality.
4. While shy team or the dAArkside may not match to their plat equivalents of 1k, any match request accomplied by a copy of a recent, not-about-to-expire 1k card more likely to be accepted IMO. It also smoothens your transistion when switching crediting (and flying) to another *A carrier, assuming you fly in market where that's a viable option.

Cons
1. $250-$300 less in your pocket. I assume that doesn't really matter given that you've already paid for 45k miles beyond what you needed to get 1P.
2. UA metrics would reflect one less dropped 1k as a result of UA constant efforts to devalue that status. Metrics indicating that 1k's are putting up with changes he wants us to like encourage SMI/J and his minions to come up with more of things to like. @:-)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:46 am

Programs: United (1K/MM2), Alaska MVPG, Hyatt GP-Diamond
I'm 91 EQM short, and that is after MRs right up to the 31st. Will that be close enough for them to give me 1K again? In years past I've always cleared with EQM to spare so i'm not sure what to do.

Will I have to call in to see if they will make an exception? I hear some people getting granted automatic before they hit 100k EQM.

My flights have been mostly B fares on UA with one B fare on Thai and one V fare on Air NZ.

Thanks,
-TK206
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA900
2. UA metrics would reflect one less dropped 1k as a result of UA constant efforts to devalue that status. Metrics indicating that 1k's are putting up with changes he wants us to like encourage SMI/J and his minions to come up with more of things to like. @:-)
Well, I'm making 1K today. And next year, there isn't a chance in the world that will happen, as I'm going to make sure I get 50K on AA, given that the dAArk side treats their customers in that category better.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by tkruger206
I'm 91 EQM short, and that is after MRs right up to the 31st. Will that be close enough for them to give me 1K again? In years past I've always cleared with EQM to spare so i'm not sure what to do.

Will I have to call in to see if they will make an exception? I hear some people getting granted automatic before they hit 100k EQM.

My flights have been mostly B fares on UA with one B fare on Thai and one V fare on Air NZ.

Thanks,
-TK206
I wouldn't bet on it. Take a small flight somewhere if you really want that 1K. The new airline can't even keep track of people that have already qualified, from the way things are looking, they won't be tossing any bones to anyone anytime soon.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Thumbs down 1K Game...

I've been a 1K'er for the last 8 years or so. Since the merge with Continental it seems like there are way too many premier executives and 1k'ers. I'm starting to think it's not even worth it. The only plus to being 1K is the ability to check in 3 bags and to be able to board the plane early, other than that, it seems like there is no real benefit. I go to Japan often, Delta and Jal have there own special entrance into Immigrations when leaving the country, of course United doesn't. I've asked them about that and all I get is the typical run around answer. There seems like there is really no other benefit to being 1K. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by soarer
I've been a 1K'er for the last 8 years or so. Since the merge with Continental it seems like there are way too many premier executives and 1k'ers. I'm starting to think it's not even worth it. The only plus to being 1K is the ability to check in 3 bags and to be able to board the plane early, other than that, it seems like there is no real benefit. I go to Japan often, Delta and Jal have there own special entrance into Immigrations when leaving the country, of course United doesn't. I've asked them about that and all I get is the typical run around answer. There seems like there is really no other benefit to being 1K. Any suggestions or recommendations?
In all seriousness, what was the logic of a new thread? We already have tons of threads exploring each Elite level. Most have indicated 1K, although reduced, is still pretty darn significant.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm Reason: Not even in jest
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Besides the The red carpet not many advantages than CO for me. I was all CO up until the link accts thingy.

CO boarding is a lot worse IMO. Rookie gate agent boards elite access and it's like the home team upset the number 1 team and we rush the court.

Plus I think UA has a better UG opp than CO as plats seem to be more on CO than UA 1K.

With that said, march is gonna be interesting.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:33 pm

Switch to Delta or JAL?

If the only benefits you are looking for are faster immigrations and 3 bags, then like you said those are the 2 that would probably better suit you.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Might want to check out this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-11-posts.html
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soarer
Yes, it's true, between PMCO Plats being top-tier and now the Q1 status carryover, there have been a lot of top elites. But all that kind of goes away with the M+/OP integration. At that point, a lot of people who lost status go away and those flying at PMCO Plat level drop to below 1Ks. I think 1Ks' UDUs are going to be clearing much more than before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.