Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
The $150 change fee isn't waived for 1K members. He might be thinking of same day change fee waivers.
Although all fees concerning award tickets are waived for 1Ks.

How far is your husband from 1K?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For 1Ks award booing fees are waived, SDC fees are waived, ...... there are (have been) numerous be fee waived but the change fee on a paid ticket has not been a standard waiver.

There are lots of reasons to become an 1K, upgrade priority, SWUs for the international travellers, earlier boarding for over head space, a better call center, extra award inventory, ...... HOWEVER that has been in the past and the full set of benefits for 2012 have not yet been announced -- expecting to hear more at the end of September or soon afterwards.

See the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html for discussion based on existing pre-2012 benefits.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Well I was coming out of dxb last month when

the ual flight went missing and was running about 24 hours late. we didn't get word until late. i checked my email and found that i had ben rebooked on lufthansa. there were some bigshots on that flight and a lot of government traffic out of afghanistan and pakistan. they all got hotel vouchers. i got sent home in lufthansa business with a few hours delay. i suspect that my 1k status had a lot to do with my being singled out and not my paltry government fare paid. I had already applied an swu which i might have gotten back. just came back from a trip to bru and it was nice to travel business both ways on the swus. i try to make 1 k with mile run vacations so my business travel is a little more comfortable.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
The $150 change fee isn't waived for 1K members. He might be thinking of same day change fee waivers.
What are the same day change fee waivers?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
Although all fees concerning award tickets are waived for 1Ks.

How far is your husband from 1K?
he just hit exec premier last week since he started his new job in May, but flies 4 ua segments every week.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dinise
What are the same day change fee waivers?
The ability to make confirmed changes on the same day as travel -- 1Ks (and 1Ps) can take an earlier/later flight confirmed (not standby) for no fee versus the normal $75.

Same-day travel changes
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The ability to make confirmed changes on the same day as travel -- 1Ks (and 1Ps) can take an earlier/later flight confirmed (not standby) for no fee versus the normal $75.

Same-day travel changes
Is this including companion in the same PNR?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:46 pm

thank you everyone for your help!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by pviri
Is this including companion in the same PNR?
IME, yes -- companion of 1K/1P on SDC is free
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: United 1K
regarding companion - in our frequent experience with same day changes, there is no fee for me as a 1K or for my prem ex husband traveling with me.
I used to think the SWU's were what made 1K worth it, but I now think it's all of the other little benefits that add up to a big reason to keep that status.
Most recent - flight from IAD-DEN delayed due to weather. Would I make my flight to COS with about a 20 minute layover? Probably not, if I had not been met at the gate and shuttled to the gate with a couple of GS's also on the flight.
And to top it off, my checked bag made it too! Merci, United.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
I believe you get better irrops treatment as well; weather = hotel

I believe 1Ks and Globals also get special treatment during weather irrops... Hotel accommodation is granted if a cancellation occurs due to weather. I don't know where the link is, but it's somewhere here on FT.

This did work for me as a 1K last year.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Same-day travel changes
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Historically, when has UA released details about the coming year's program? I think that will be the real determination as to whether 1K is worth it or not. I didn't have a chance of making it, but a trans-pac and trans-atlantic trip were added to my schedule today so I will come within 15k miles which I may be able to do via MRs, etc.

These trips could also be used on a challenge elsewhere. I suppose UA will release the details for the 2012 program around 10/1?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by omegadeal
Historically, when has UA released details about the coming year's program?
I suppose UA will release the details for the 2012 program around 10/1?
there have been indication the 2012 program (or a least a major part of it) will be announced end of September or soon afterwards.

there has been one major http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-scheme.html discussion already.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:43 am

UA 1K, worth it?

This question has been asked before. However as the merger is getting complete, I am not sure if the previous comments are exact anymore. So I am asking it again.

My situation is like this: counting all all the itineraries that I will fly till the end of the year, I will be sitting at roughly 84,000 EQMs. A weekend RT from IAD to HKG will elevate me to 1K status for the first time (I've been 1P for a few years now). The cost is about 1000 USD.

I have no plan for anything in HK, so this is strictly MR. 1000 USD is a lot of money. I am not sure if the benefits outweigh this cost. I am mostly a domestic flyer who flies monthly cross-country trip. So the SWUs do not help me much. The 100% bonus is already covered by my 1P status. The only attractive reward for a 1K is the exclusive Saver Inventory. As I've never been a 1K before, I cannot really judge its value.

Given my situation, would you suggest me to go for 1K? I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Great day folks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 15, 2011 at 7:23 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by chatterbox
I am not sure if the previous comments are exact anymore.
The info is still valid:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-11-posts.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.