Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Going landside is not a big issue, since you need to re-clear security in FRA anyway as it's the first point of arrival in Europe. But the problem will be that the Arrivals Lounge will close well before the flight to FCO departs.
bariww likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To have access at LH departure lounges, the OP would need to be
- *G or
- UC member

Arrival on UA in Polaris Cabin would not provide access
Use of Chase UC lounge passes would not provide access.
I know my Chase Club card gains me access as I use it regularly there but didn't realize they won't take the Chase UC passes. Seems a bit strange, I guess they want those passes in strictly domestic UCs.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nomad420
I know my Chase Club card gains me access as I use it regularly there but didn't realize they won't take the Chase UC passes. Seems a bit strange, I guess they want those passes in strictly domestic UCs.
The Chase Club Card doesn't grant you access. The UClub membership that it comes with does. Subtle but important difference. UClub passes are different from a UClub membership.

If the OP got GPUs from their own account(s) they'll be fine. If the OP is *G they'll be fine. Otherwise no useful lounge access included in that itinerary (I'm excluding Arrivals lounge as the timing doesn't really work).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The Chase one-time UC passes work in international UCs also.

Chase made the pass deal with just United.

As mentioned, it is the UC membership that *A lounges recognized, regardless of how it was obtained.
Note AC also offers an ML membership approach good for all *A *G lounges.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: united
Ugh, this stinks! I'm a lowly silver (my uncle is GS and gifted us GPU's to use for this trip) so it looks like we'll be bored as sin in FRA that day. Any suggestions on where to hang out?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bariww
Ugh, this stinks! I'm a lowly silver (my uncle is GS and gifted us GPU's to use for this trip) so it looks like we'll be bored as sin in FRA that day. Any suggestions on where to hang out?
If you like to shop, there is much to do in FRA. Also easy to go out of the airport with rail or subway options.

The FT German Forum has a number threads on FRA, such as
Long layover in FRA:what to do?

How to Run from FRA Airport to Downtown Frankfurt and Back

3.5 hrs at FRA - enough time to leave terminal?

18 hrs in Frankfurt Airport - Aviation Enthusiast Activities
bariww likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The Chase Club Card doesn't grant you access. The UClub membership that it comes with does. Subtle but important difference. UClub passes are different from a UClub membership.

If the OP got GPUs from their own account(s) they'll be fine. If the OP is *G they'll be fine. Otherwise no useful lounge access included in that itinerary (I'm excluding Arrivals lounge as the timing doesn't really work).
Yeah well aware of the distinction between the pass and the membership but figured the pass would still work as well (I haven't used one in years) but I can sort of see why. Also interesting to note that if the upgrade instrument (GPU) was let's say "gifted" to them and they had no status they will still not be granted entry. This also seems strange as they are still flying upgraded.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:46 pm

.... Also interesting to note that if the upgrade instrument (GPU) was let's say "gifted" to them and they had no status they will still not be granted entry. This also seems strange as they are still flying upgraded.
They would have the same lounge access as a paid business class customer -- at departure , not arrival.
Status access is regardless of cabin and is only for the customer with status.
Two separate concepts that are blurred if you happen to qualify for both.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
After transiting FRA many, many times without seeing the city, I decided on one nine hour layover to hire a guide to take me round the city for three hours (ended up a being a bit longer as we had lunch at one of the markets). It was a walking tour with a train from the airport to the city and return. The guide was an American who had been living there for 20 years. Greatly enjoyed it as I love history so she took me to the historical sights and provided information on each site. I found her through a recommendation on one of the forums on TA, and if your interests are in other areas I suspect there are guides for different activities.. She met me at 9am outside immigration and took me to the luggage storage area (landside) where I was able to store my carryon luggage for the day, and then we caught the train into the city. At the end of the tour we walked back to the train station and she made sure I got on the right train back to the airport.

Great way to spend a day with a long layover.

(Actually planning something similar in NRT next month when I have a similar layover as I can only sit in a lounge for so long with long plane journeys ahead of me.)
jonisflying and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:24 pm

.... Any single use passes we can buy if our ticket doesn't get us in one?
There are a couple of paid access lounges, around $40 fee. One is the Skye lounge.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah well aware of the distinction between the pass and the membership but figured the pass would still work as well (I haven't used one in years) but I can sort of see why.
Two different types of access. A pass is valid for a single entrance to a United Club. A membership affords significantly greater access to lounges around the globe. Wholly different products.
This also seems strange as they are still flying upgraded.
Lounge access in *A is based on the class of service in which a passenger is departing the local airport. They are not upgraded on the FRA-FCO flight and are treated as such in the terminal.

The point about "gifted" was to draw an easy distinction as to whether the pax had their own status or not. They do not have *G (they would if the GPUs were their own) which is why I mentioned it that way. It is not that gifted upgrades are treated differently, just a means to identify pax elite status.

How long is the layover really? And what do you like to see/do? If you have more than 4ish hours a train out the Mainz and a quick walkabout can be a good way to spend the time. The Gutenberg Museum (http://www.gutenberg-museum.de/) is pretty cool IMO. Note that the S-Bahn is under construction until 5 Aug so that makes getting out for a quick city visit harder.
​​​​​​​
Fraport also does layover tours that can be fun if you're into airport operations and the times line up. https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...ort-tours.html

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 30, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Two different types of access. A pass is valid for a single entrance to a United Club. A membership affords significantly greater access to lounges around the globe. Wholly different products.

Lounge access in *A is based on the class of service in which a passenger is departing the local airport. They are not upgraded on the FRA-FCO flight and are treated as such in the terminal.

The point about "gifted" was to draw an easy distinction as to whether the pax had their own status or not. They do not have *G (they would if the GPUs were their own) which is why I mentioned it that way. It is not that gifted upgrades are treated differently, just a means to identify pax elite status.

How long is the layover really? And what do you like to see/do? If you have more than 4ish hours a train out the Mainz and a quick walkabout can be a good way to spend the time. The Gutenberg Museum (Gutenberg-Museum Mainz: Willkommen) is pretty cool IMO. Note that the S-Bahn is under construction until 5 Aug so that makes getting out for a quick city visit harder.

Fraport also does layover tours that can be fun if you're into airport operations and the times line up. https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...ort-tours.html
I think the layover is 4:25. Candidly, I don't know if we'll be up for leaving the airport. Despite the lay flat seat on the TATL leg, I won't sleep much and will be wiped out. Ideally, we can access a lounge and relax. Do you know if I can I upgrade the LH FRA - FCO leg on a UA ticket using UA miles? Or buy up to business (my husbands company is booking the travel and won't allow us to do it at the time of purchase)? I'm totally uneducated on anything related to LH so any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Going landside is not a big issue, since you need to re-clear security in FRA anyway as it's the first point of arrival in Europe. But the problem will be that the Arrivals Lounge will close well before the flight to FCO departs.
Unless things have changed since I was last there in September 2017, connecting passengers arriving from the U.S. do not need to go through security. Assuming a Z concourse gate arrival (most UA flights although a late flight may end up on a hardstand), you merely go downstairs, through Schengen immigration, and emerge on the A concourse ready to board (the Z concourse is the non-Schengen concourse directly above the Schengen A concourse - they share the physical gates).

From my experience, the not needing to go through security for U.S. arrivals is also the norm at AMS and BRU, the only other Schengen-area airports I have experience with. There is also no need to get your checked luggage as the only thing dealt with at the first Schengen airport is Immigration (admissibility of people). Customs (admissibility of goods) is dealt with at the destination airport (and yes, that does mean passengers on an intra-Schengen flight are mixed - some subject to Customs inspection and some not - that's what the green stripe on the bag tag is about).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
There are a couple of paid access lounges, around $40 fee. One is the Skye lounge.
Interesting. Are they worth the $40 in terms of amenities?

I have no idea if it's possible, but I'm considering upgrading our FRA - FCO leg with miles or just buying up to business so we can get lounge access in FRA. My husbands company is paying for our flights (it's a business award trip) so I don't mind spending the miles or a little bit of cash for a place to relax on our layover but $40 sounds nice if it's decent!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:07 am

....Do you know if I can I upgrade the LH FRA - FCO leg on a UA ticket using UA miles? Or buy up to business (my husbands company is booking the travel and won't allow us to do it at the time of purchase)? ....
Only the most expensive economy fares (Y & B plus for Premium Economy E & G) on LH can be upgraded with UA miles (10,000 miles for FRA-FCO).

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

LH does offer cash upgrades but difficult to do on a UA -- you can ask an LH agent in FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.