Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by symphonicman
I have never figured out how to avoid leaving the secured area with a connection to B after a Z arrival from the US. Any advice?
Assuming you are talking about connecting to B non-Schengen (e.g. to LHR) the only way to avoid transfer security from Z to B is to go through passport control to A, walk through the transfer tunnel to B and go through passport control again. The "official" route which does not involve passport control takes you via the Skyline train to B but you have to clear security once you arrive in B.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Assuming you are talking about connecting to B non-Schengen (e.g. to LHR) the only way to avoid transfer security from Z to B is to go through passport control to A, walk through the transfer tunnel to B and go through passport control again. The "official" route which does not involve passport control takes you via the Skyline train to B but you have to clear security once you arrive in B.
Right, B non-Schengen (NBO), thanks. Traveling on U.S. passports so the Schengen visa is no problem—but it's not at all clear to me that foreign passport control at FRA would be more efficient than security—not to mention possibly a longer walk?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by symphonicman
Right, B non-Schengen (NBO), thanks. Traveling on U.S. passports so the Schengen visa is no problem—but it's not at all clear to me that foreign passport control at FRA would be more efficient than security—not to mention possibly a longer walk?
I'd only do it if you have an EU passport. Passport control at the end of the tunnel is usually quick especially if you can use EasyPass gates but passport control from Z to A could be busy during a wave of US arrivals.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'd only do it if you have an EU passport. Passport control at the end of the tunnel is usually quick especially if you can use EasyPass gates but passport control from Z to A could be busy during a wave of US arrivals.
This is what I had in mind in regard to how to achieve that - I did B-Schengen to Z and back this way (coming/leaving on LG to LUX).

That said I don't think that the passport-checks take too long on both ends, and they are certainly less bothering than the additional security check (and probably also less time-consuming)...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw
This is what I had in mind in regard to how to achieve that - I did B-Schengen to Z and back this way (coming/leaving on LG to LUX).

That said I don't think that the passport-checks take too long on both ends, and they are certainly less bothering than the additional security check (and probably also less time-consuming)...

Greetings - Dirk
Between B Schengen and Z the transfer tunnel is the obvious route. B Schengen gates are like the extension of A Concourse connected by the tunnel.

The question raised by symphonicman is whether the tunnel should be used when connecting from Z to B non-Schengen. The answer might depend on the length of the queue at Z > A passport control. There are now priority lanes for A > Z passport control (actually 3 lanes: F/C/*G, EU passport Y, and non-EU passport Y) but no priority lanes for Z > A.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:47 pm

I've read parts of this thread as well as the FRA thread in the Lufthansa forum. Checking the FRA airport website, it's still not clear to me.....How is the transfer arriving at the A gates on a United flight and connecting to a Lufthansa flight that leaves from the Z gates? The Z gates are on top of the A gates, but is it a matter of taking an elevator or stairs to connect A gate to Z gate? Or do I have to go through the whole passport/security check again?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Brick
I've read parts of this thread as well as the FRA thread in the Lufthansa forum. Checking the FRA airport website, it's still not clear to me.....How is the transfer arriving at the A gates on a United flight and connecting to a Lufthansa flight that leaves from the Z gates? The Z gates are on top of the A gates, but is it a matter of taking an elevator or stairs to connect A gate to Z gate? Or do I have to go through the whole passport/security check again?
You'll arrive at Z gates on UA flight, then just hafta go thru passport control (entering Schengen) to get to A gates. There are escalators and lifts.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Brick
United flights don't arrive at A gates, though United's website seems to suggest UA flights arrive in A. A20 and Z20 for example are the same gate position but passengers arriving on a United flight enter the terminal on Z level.

If you arrive on a United flight at a Z gate and connecting to a Lufthansa flight which leaves from a Z gate, there is no need to clear passport control or security. You just walk to your departure gate.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
This is an interesting discussion as I have to do this transfer next week. Arriving on UA from US transferring to LH for a flight to the UK.

It seems like the choice is one security checkpoint via Skyline or two passport checks via tunnel. Do the passport checkpoints have e-gates? (I have UK passport).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw
This is an interesting discussion as I have to do this transfer next week. Arriving on UA from US transferring to LH for a flight to the UK.

It seems like the choice is one security checkpoint via Skyline or two passport checks via tunnel. Do the passport checkpoints have e-gates? (I have UK passport).
Passport control at the end of the tunnel in B has e-gates but not the checkpoint from Z to A as far as I know.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Arriving 9:45 am flt #58 ...

Can I make a LH flight at 10:50 to FCO?
While 1 hour is the legal MCT at FRA airport the reality is much different. I arrived this morning on UA 989 and it took an hour from arrival at the gate just to make it through passport control. This is the second time in a row I've had to run to make a supposedly safe 1h30m connection at FRA.

I would be very leery of taking any flight that has a connection of under 2 hours at FRA.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:37 am
Suspended

Transfering LH to UA at Frankfurt

Flying into FRA terminal 1 pier A and have 90 minutes to transfer to UA59 out of terminal 1 pier Z.

Doable? This implies not easily. https://www.google.fr/amp/s/techblog.smashing.net/2012/10/20/first-impressions-from-new-lufhansa-pier-a-at-frankfurt/amp/

Steps? Buses, rescreening?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
This thread is going to be more useful than a 5 year old article

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...hread-282.html
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
The A and the Z gates are, for the most part, the same gates at different levels. If youre coming in from an intra- Schengen flight youll have to clear passport control and then clear US special security theater by the US departure gates. Well doable within 30 minutes givng you enough time to relax before boarding time.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
I do this connection several times a year sometimes with less connection time and have had no problem. I usually have time for a lounge visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.