Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Even if you have to take a bus from your incoming flight you should be fine with a 90 minute connection at FRA. As others said, I do this several times a year and have never had a problem.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jumpingenes
The A and the Z gates are, for the most part, the same gates at different levels. If youre coming in from an intra- Schengen flight youll have to clear passport control and then clear US special security theater by the US departure gates. Well doable within 30 minutes givng you enough time to relax before boarding time.
30 minutes? Sometimes it takes nearly that long to unload onto the bus and get to the terminal at FRA. But I agree 90 minutes will be fine. Bus or gate is always the big variable for connection times at FRA in my opinion.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:59 am

I've made crazy tight connections at FRA many many times, sometimes arriving on remote pads, dumped by bus at the farthest reaches of C Concourse, then having to get to the farthest reaches of A concourse, in less than an hour. 90 minutes is an eternity. you'll be totally fine. FRA knows how to handle tight connections. Safe flying
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

No problem, you don't have to go through security. Protip: If the main passport control around A13 is crowded, take the elevator near gate A..19 or so to the Z level. There's a smaller, but much less crowded, passport control there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JBord
30 minutes? Sometimes it takes nearly that long to unload onto the bus and get to the terminal at FRA. But I agree 90 minutes will be fine. Bus or gate is always the big variable for connection times at FRA in my opinion.
Bus/gate yes, but the security queue seems like it can be nearly as volatile.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but CLE-ORD-FRA-DXB and DXB-FRA-ORD-CLE last week I wound up clearing security in FRA going both directions [first INTL-INTL connections in FRA, previously had gone INTL-EU or EU-INTL]. FRA-DXB security was "grab a tray, walk through the metal detector, never really stop moving" while FRA-ORD security was worse than sitting on an LA freeway at rush hour.

Either way, though, to concur 90 minutes should be plenty.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Bus/gate yes, but the security queue seems like it can be nearly as volatile.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but CLE-ORD-FRA-DXB and DXB-FRA-ORD-CLE last week I wound up clearing security in FRA going both directions [first INTL-INTL connections in FRA, previously had gone INTL-EU or EU-INTL]. FRA-DXB security was "grab a tray, walk through the metal detector, never really stop moving" while FRA-ORD security was worse than sitting on an LA freeway at rush hour.

Either way, though, to concur 90 minutes should be plenty.
It's where you arrive from and not where you are flying to (also sometimes which gate you depart from) that determines whether you need to clear transfer security in FRA. Usually arrivals from the US do not need to clear transfer security. Arrivals from DXB always do. If arriving from the US in Z and departing from A, you do not need to clear security. If departing from B or C you usually need to clear security.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 2, 2017 at 9:56 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:59 pm
Suspended

I'm arriving from France transferring at FRA to SFO

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It's where you arrive from and not where you are flying to (also sometimes which gate you depart from) that determines whether you need to clear transfer security in FRA. Usually arrivals from the US do not need to clear transfer security. Arrivals from DXB always do. If arriving from the US in Z and departing from A, you do not need to clear security. If departing from B or C you usually need to clear security.
Thanks, but I'm going in the other direction.

So what are the steps assuming I (as planned) arrive in T1 Pier A and depart T1 Pier Z?

I got on these flights due to an equipment change, so I guess I can ask for them to be changed if the connection is too tight/risky?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
I guess I can ask for them to be changed if the connection is too tight/risky?
As others have already noted, 90 minutes at FRA is not risky. I've made several 60 minute connections in the past year or so, even with inbound delays.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
Thanks, but I'm going in the other direction.

So what are the steps assuming I (as planned) arrive in T1 Pier A and depart T1 Pier Z?

I got on these flights due to an equipment change, so I guess I can ask for them to be changed if the connection is too tight/risky?
Just follow the signs for Z gates which will take you through exit passport control. The main checkpoints are near gate A13 but there may be alternative routes, e.g. up the elevator near gate A17. There's no need for security other than possible random checks by the gate.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: Continental
FRA UA to LH connection

Flying on UA 58 SFO to FRA then connecting to LH 334 to NAP. Supposed to arrive 9:55, then depart 11:15. Today UA flight arrives gate A 20's and LH flight departs gate A 60's...I fly next week.
What is the quickest way to get to the departure gate? I am 1k, is there a star gold customs line that will be quicker?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
No special lines for 1K/*A Gold that I'm aware of, but you shouldn't have any issues connecting A to A with that much time. Between A and Z can be done as well, but you may have to scramble depending on the lines.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, there will be a Star Gold line for ticket/passport checks...but not in actual customs. Its a bit of a walk, but should be ok. You may have to go Z<->A or vice versa.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:26 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
You will not have time to lounge or hangout in my opinion. The all-passports lines at FRA have been long from what I could see on my three trips through over the last month (I have a European passport but stood next to the visitor lines).

You actually will not clear customs until NAP presuming you are on one PNR/ticket with bags checked through. You will choose the green or red channel upon exiting NAP and they could stop you to check your bags randomly there. You will do immigration for Schengen at FRA.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Follow the signs, and you'll clear Schengen immigration at FRA. 1h20 doesn't leave a lot of time for wandering around, but you should be ok. There isn't a *G line for immigration but it's usually pretty quick.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Common itinerary, easily done, especially if you get a real gate on arrival (vs bus gate)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.