Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonisflying
I'm flying TPA-EWR-FRA-GOT tomorrow, and the last leg, FRA-GOT is on Lufthansa (016 stock, UA Flight #, operated by LH). I checked in on the United App and it gave me all three boarding passes (TPA-EWR, EWR-FRA, and FRA-GOT).

I thought I was going to have to get a paper boarding pass for the LH flight, but am I good to go with the BP in the UA App?? If so, that is great news!

Also, I've got a nice 3 hour connection which should be good based on everything I've read here. This is my first time transiting through FRA (I'm routing through MUC on the return). Suggestions? Tips? Advice?
Follow the signs for A gates where your flight to GOT departs. From US arrivals in Z to A you simply go downstairs and go through passport control but no security. The SEN lounge in A is on the way to gate A50.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Follow the signs for A gates where your flight to GOT departs. From US arrivals in Z to A you simply go downstairs and go through passport control but no security. The SEN lounge in A is on the way to gate A50.
Awesome! Thank you!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....Also, I've got a nice 3 hour connection which should be good based on everything I've read here. This is my first time transiting through FRA (I'm routing through MUC on the return). Suggestions? Tips? Advice?
Very extensive (& expensive) shopping area, but I head for the (semi-}serenity off the Senator lounge
jonisflying likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely enjoy the lounge, which will be nice (but probably crowded). I also enjoy walking around some after a long flight. FRA is nothing special, but it is efficient (generally), has solid lounges, good shopping, and is nice for people watching. Enjoy!

MUC, btw, is very easy to get around and is a very nice airport. One of the best in Europe. Enjoy your trip to Sweden!
jonisflying likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250
Definitely enjoy the lounge, which will be nice (but probably crowded). I also enjoy walking around some after a long flight. FRA is nothing special, but it is efficient (generally), has solid lounges, good shopping, and is nice for people watching. Enjoy!

MUC, btw, is very easy to get around and is a very nice airport. One of the best in Europe. Enjoy your trip to Sweden!
Thank you! I get home next Saturday and turn around and fly to Warsaw on Sunday, through LHR on LOT... everyone thinks I’m crazy for flying all the way home, but I’m getting oh so much closer to $50k PQD... LOL, so hoping I make GS next year. The nice part is that I have a few free days in Sweden and 2 free days in Warsaw!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Very extensive (& expensive) shopping area, but I head for the (semi-}serenity off the Senator lounge
Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thank you! I get home next Saturday and turn around and fly to Warsaw on Sunday, through LHR on LOT... everyone thinks I’m crazy for flying all the way home, but I’m getting oh so much closer to $50k PQD... LOL, so hoping I make GS next year. The nice part is that I have a few free days in Sweden and 2 free days in Warsaw!
I'm impressed you're chasing GS and have never been to FRA

This lowly 1K probably transits there 3x annually.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by findark

LOL! 3x LHR, 2x YYZ, 1 HKG, 1 SIN, and a bunch of domestic (a lot of TPA-IAD). Booked travel through September has me at $48,000+ PQD and a bunch of new airports, including FRA & MUC finally!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark

A very good point, and I would also be shocked. But for some reason I have never found the routes through there to be a big PQD generator. Maybe it is the competition that keeps fares down. I've had the misfortune of visiting the palace of the bus 4x this year and it still seems Asia/Australia dwarfs it in PQD.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Hello - Trying to decide between connections at FRA on a trip to Rome in January. I would be arriving on UA944 at 5:45am on a Thursday, connection to a flight on Lufthansa or Sunexpress Deutschland Gmbh to FCO. Options are 1hr 35 min connection to take the Sunexpress option arriving into FCO at 9:10am or a 5hr 10min connection to take the Lufthansa option arriving into FCO at 12:45pm.

A few notes:
- I am 1K. Am I correct in that as a *G I would have access to a Senator lounge vs normal LH business lounge in Frankfurt even if the intro-Euro flight would be in economy?
-I would be applying a GPU so in business class on the UA flight. Is there any way to have the intra-Euro flight in business too with a GPU? I would probably just be buying W fare so my guess is no...

Which connection would you take? I would think getting in that early in Frankfurt that it shouldn't be too busy... However, I am thinking it could be nice to have time to shower and have breakfast in a lounge so I can sleep longer on the long-haul flight, just not sure if 5hr connection would be too long to spend in LH lounge.

Also, any difference in experience an intra-Euro flight between Sunexpress and Lufthansa?

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BDFlyer15
Hello - Trying to decide between connections at FRA on a trip to Rome in January. I would be arriving on UA944 at 5:45am on a Thursday, connection to a flight on Lufthansa or Sunexpress Deutschland Gmbh to FCO. ....
If this is a true SunExpress flight (XQ) -- it would not be an *A qualifying departure flight and therefore no LH lounge excess at FRA. How is the flight described?
-I would be applying a GPU so in business class on the UA flight. Is there any way to have the intra-Euro flight in business too with a GPU? I would probably just be buying W fare so my guess is no...
The PlusPoints (GPUs are gone) for each eligible non-UA flight will take a unique set of PlusPoints. That has always been true for LH & NH flights.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any way to have the intra-Euro flight in business too with a GPU? I would probably just be buying W fare so my guess is no...
You’d need a higher fare class than W (Q, IIRC), and there’d be the same eligibility question that WineCountryUA already asked (An XQ-coded flight wouldn’t be eligible). And it would be 40 additional PlusPoints beyond the ones required for the long-haul flight.

The only way I would spend 40 PlusPoints on FRA-FCO would be if they were about to expire, I had no other flights on United, and nobody I knew was flying United prior to the expiration. (And, even then, I’m not sure I’d upfare from W to Q to do it). Intra-European business class consists of a meal and a blocked middle seat.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Hello - Trying to decide between connections at FRA on a trip to Rome in January. I would be arriving on UA944 at 5:45am on a Thursday, connection to a flight on Lufthansa or Sunexpress Deutschland Gmbh to FCO. Options are 1hr 35 min connection to take the Sunexpress option arriving into FCO at 9:10am or a 5hr 10min connection to take the Lufthansa option arriving into FCO at 12:45pm.

A few notes:
- I am 1K. Am I correct in that as a *G I would have access to a Senator lounge vs normal LH business lounge in Frankfurt even if the intro-Euro flight would be in economy?

Which connection would you take? I would think getting in that early in Frankfurt that it shouldn't be too busy... However, I am thinking it could be nice to have time to shower and have breakfast in a lounge so I can sleep longer on the long-haul flight, just not sure if 5hr connection would be too long to spend in LH lounge.

Also, any difference in experience an intra-Euro flight between Sunexpress and Lufthansa?

Thanks.
Most questions have already been answered but as already pointed out you will not have access to Lufthansa lounges if you are travelling to FCO on Sunexpress.

You can access Lufthansa’s Senator Lounge even if you are travelling to FCO in Lufthansa economy. Also since you are arriving in United Business you will have access to Lufthansa’s Welcome (Arrival) Lounge regardless of your connecting flight. The lounge is landside so you will have to clear passport control to enter Schengen to visit the lounge (which you will have to do anyway before your flight to Rome) and clear security after visiting the lounge. It will only be feasible if you are departing on the later LH flight to FCO. As a *G you should be able to use priority security.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If this is a true SunExpress flight (XQ) -- it would not be an *A qualifying departure flight and therefore no LH lounge excess at FRA. How is the flight described?
The PlusPoints (GPUs are gone) for each eligible non-UA flight will take a unique set of PlusPoints. That has always been true for LH & NH flights.
It's described as "Operated by Sunexpress Deutschland Gmbh" so you're right doesn't look like *A flight. Also, yes sorry PlusPoints, I do not want to use extra ones for the intra-Euro "business" class.

Originally Posted by jsloan
You’d need a higher fare class than W (Q, IIRC), and there’d be the same eligibility question that WineCountryUA already asked (An XQ-coded flight wouldn’t be eligible). And it would be 40 additional PlusPoints beyond the ones required for the long-haul flight.

The only way I would spend 40 PlusPoints on FRA-FCO would be if they were about to expire, I had no other flights on United, and nobody I knew was flying United prior to the expiration. (And, even then, I’m not sure I’d upfare from W to Q to do it). Intra-European business class consists of a meal and a blocked middle seat.
Yep you're right, definitely not going to use more PlusPoints for the intra-Euro "business" class.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Most questions have already been answered but as already pointed out you will not have access to Lufthansa lounges if you are travelling to FCO on Sunexpress.

You can access Lufthansa’s Senator Lounge even if you are travelling to FCO in Lufthansa economy. Also since you are arriving in United Business you will have access to Lufthansa’s Welcome (Arrival) Lounge regardless of your connecting flight. The lounge is landside so you will have to clear passport control to enter Schengen to visit the lounge (which you will have to do anyway before your flight to Rome) and clear security after visiting the lounge. It will only be feasible if you are departing on the later LH flight to FCO. As a *G you should be able to use priority security.
Perfect, I think I will go with the longer option on the LH flight and use the Arrival lounge, wasn't even aware of that! A nice shower there and then meal, while not being rushed, sounds much better.

Thank you all for the information!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:53 pm

If you are taking the longer connection, you might as well stay airside and use a senator lounge. You will have access as a 1K and they have showers, although you may have to wait for one to be available. The arrivals lounge has many many more showers but limited food.

Regarding lounge access for the SunExpress flight, it sounds like this is a wet lease and would be treated as a normal LH flight. You shoukd probably ask for confirmation over on the LH forum.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Dec 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Regarding lounge access for the SunExpress flight, it sounds like this is a wet lease and would be treated as a normal LH flight. You shoukd probably ask for confirmation over on the LH forum.
Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, it looks like a Lufthansa flight with a Lufthansa flight number operated by Sunexpress, so a *G will have access to a Senator Lounge. However, it’s unlikely BDFlyer15 will have time for a shower if departing on this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.