Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
FRA, UAL/LH separate tickets/logistics

We have separate tickets, not the same PNR, ORD to FRA, then FRA to FLR. Is 2 hours enough time on Saturday at 6 am to:
deplane the ORD/FRA flight
collect luggage
Go through customs
check bags with LH, check into FRA/FLR flight
get through security (I am 1k, others general)
be at the gate for on time boarding?

let me know if this is reasonably possible or if there is anything I missed.

thanks
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
We have separate tickets, not the same PNR, ORD to FRA, then FRA to FLR. Is 2 hours enough time on Saturday at 6 am to:
deplane the ORD/FRA flight
collect luggage
Go through customs
check bags with LH, check into FRA/FLR flight
get through security (I am 1k, others general)
be at the gate for on time boarding?

let me know if this is reasonably possible or if there is anything I missed.

thanks
Early morning is a busy time in FRA for longhaul arrivals. I would not attempt what you propose with separate tickets. You are likely to arrive at a Z gate and will have to clear passport control to enter Germany/Schengen before collecting your luggage. With several other longhaul arrivals around 6am waiting time could be considerable. Customs on the other hand will be a breeze. You will then have to walk over to LH check-in counters to re-check your luggage and go through security into A concourse. As reported in this thread in the LH forum A security check points have often been very slow recently even if you can use priority lanes as *G.

I’m not sure if UA in ORD will through check your luggage to FLR if you show them your BP for the LH flight. If they do it will increase your chance of catching the flight to FLR substantially.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Early morning is a busy time in FRA for longhaul arrivals. I would not attempt what you propose with separate tickets. You are likely to arrive at a Z gate and will have to clear passport control to enter Germany/Schengen before collecting your luggage. With several other longhaul arrivals around 6am waiting time could be considerable. Customs on the other hand will be a breeze. You will then have to walk over to LH check-in counters to re-check your luggage and go through security into A concourse. As reported in this thread in the LH forum A security check points have often been very slow recently even if you can use priority lanes as *G.

I’m not sure if UA in ORD will through check your luggage to FLR if you show them your BP for the LH flight. If they do it will increase your chance of catching the flight to FLR substantially.
thanks for the feedback. Is there any way to research luggage check through possibilities from ORD all the way to FLR now for a flight in April?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
thanks for the feedback. Is there any way to research luggage check through possibilities from ORD all the way to FLR now for a flight in April?
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

Long time that I connected through Frankfurt (avoided it) but maybe this is the year to do it. I have two options both one ticket/ on LH and in business
HAJ-FRA-EWR arriving FRA 12:20 and departing 13:20 or arriving 11:30 departing 13:20 >> 1h or 1h50min
With long distances and possible secondary security,..... I would probably go for the longer connection or is it "easy" because the gates are close?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
First, there will be secondary security. Not "possible", there will be.

Your fight from HAJ might involve parking at a stand and a bus, and a B gate.

So, for comfort, I would take the longer connection time. Worst case you have to hang out at a Lounge for a while.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
First, there will be secondary security. Not "possible", there will be.

Your fight from HAJ might involve parking at a stand and a bus, and a B gate.

So, for comfort, I would take the longer connection time. Worst case you have to hang out at a Lounge for a while.
There will be just a passportcontroll to leave the shengenzone as you enter the Z-Gates.
truncated and VRFast like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:00 am

As mentioned above, there will be a passport check to exit Europe but no further security. One hour is doable but a bit tight, especially if you end up at a bus gate and/or your inbound flight is a bit late. I'd take the 1hr50min connection.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Thanks! Going for the 1:50 connection .... unfortunately not first the transfer always comes in handy in FRA
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Thanks! Going for the 1:50 connection .... unfortunately not first the transfer always comes in handy in FRA
I would opt for a 1h50m connection as well. There may be “random” secondary security for US departures.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:40 pm
RJ1

Looking at LAX-SFO-FRA-BCN in C, where I'd have 1hr10min connection in FRA, from UA 58 to LH 1130. Is that enough time in FRA for a UA to LH connection?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
Looking at LAX-SFO-FRA-BCN in C, where I'd have 1hr10min connection in FRA, from UA 58 to LH 1130. Is that enough time in FRA for a UA to LH connection?
It's enough if SFO-FRA is on time and there aren't long lineups at passport control, without much to spare. I'd look at a longer layover if possible, especially if you have lounge access where you could grab a shower and breakfast.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by RJ1
As StuMcIlwain said, it should be enough time if there is no delay, but anything more than a few minutes' delay may mean that you risk missing the connection. But in that case LH would re-book you on a later flight - you may want to look into how many later options to BCN there are, and consider how much of a problem such a rebooking would be for you.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:50 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
It's enough if SFO-FRA is on time and there aren't long lineups at passport control, without much to spare. I'd look at a longer layover if possible, especially if you have lounge access where you could grab a shower and breakfast.
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
As StuMcIlwain said, it should be enough time if there is no delay, but anything more than a few minutes' delay may mean that you risk missing the connection. But in that case LH would re-book you on a later flight - you may want to look into how many later options to BCN there are, and consider how much of a problem such a rebooking would be for you.
Thank you both. There is another LH flight from FRA to BCN two hours later, so I presume I'd be re-booked on that flight in case my flight from SFO is delayed. Looking at recent stats, UA 58 has a pretty good on-time record. So I think I may take my chances on the tighter connection. I've connected in FRA once before but it has been awhile. As I recall, the key is to follow the directional signs.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 9:29 am

Departing Frankfurt

My United TATL flight’s schedule has just been changed. Am arriving on another EU flight to connect. Assume that I have to go thru a departures passport check. What is a realistic connection time at FRA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.