FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:47 pm
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by bariww
Ugh, this stinks! I'm a lowly silver (my uncle is GS and gifted us GPU's to use for this trip) so it looks like we'll be bored as sin in FRA that day. Any suggestions on where to hang out?
After transiting FRA many, many times without seeing the city, I decided on one nine hour layover to hire a guide to take me round the city for three hours (ended up a being a bit longer as we had lunch at one of the markets). It was a walking tour with a train from the airport to the city and return. The guide was an American who had been living there for 20 years. Greatly enjoyed it as I love history so she took me to the historical sights and provided information on each site. I found her through a recommendation on one of the forums on TA, and if your interests are in other areas I suspect there are guides for different activities.. She met me at 9am outside immigration and took me to the luggage storage area (landside) where I was able to store my carryon luggage for the day, and then we caught the train into the city. At the end of the tour we walked back to the train station and she made sure I got on the right train back to the airport.

Great way to spend a day with a long layover.

(Actually planning something similar in NRT next month when I have a similar layover as I can only sit in a lounge for so long with long plane journeys ahead of me.)