Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Continental
Frankfurt gate V168?

I'm tracking UA 58 since I'll be taking it next week.
It usually parks at the A or Z gates if I remember correctly.
Tuesday the United app said the gate was V168*
Anybody know what that is?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hockey7711
..Tuesday the United app said the gate was V168*
A piece of concrete with striping and buses. Note the United plane parked in next "gate". New tariff parking assignments ?...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm Reason: speling
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:51 am

It's a remote stand.

Pax are bused from/to the plane.

You'll see it a lot for intra-Europe, less for intercontinental.

Z. Z and A are in the same terminal building, but A is one floor while Z is on the floor above A (or 2 floors above A, I believe there's a utility floor in between). Both floors have an identical layout and share the same gate infrastructure. The difference is that Z is used when a non-Schengen flight docks while A is used when a Schengen flight docks. Schengen and non-Schengen pax cannot mix, hence the arrangement with the different floors. You'll always encounter border control when changing floors from A to Z or vice versa. Other EU airports often keep non-Schengen and Schengen in different terminal buildings (horizontal separation), FRA uses vertical separation instead.

Last edited by mozilla; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
V gates are remote ones as the pic in IAH-OIL-TRASH's answer so clearly demonstrates.
Quite a few early morning UA arrivals get a remote gate.
It's rare that I've not had one ... and been bussed to the terminal.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-fra.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 8, 2018 at 11:55 am Reason: added thread link
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:01 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm tracking UA 58 since I'll be taking it next week.
Tuesday the United app said the gate was V168*
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
V gates are remote ones as the pic in IAH-OIL-TRASH's answer so clearly demonstrates.
Quite a few early morning UA arrivals get a remote gate.
It's rare that I've not had one ... and been bussed to the terminal.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ional-fra.html
I've no idea why UA publishes the exact remote parking position since it's not much use to passengers. If you want to know which bus gate passengers are driven to, check flight status on LH.com or LH app by the route or by the LH flight number (UA58 = LH9053).

All UA58 arrivals between August 7 and 10 have been or are planned to be AEUW. AEUW is actually on the lower level of A concourse (gates A6-10) which is used at certain times of the day as non-Schengen bus arrival area from 'clean' countries such as the US and the UK. Passengers arriving at AEUW are treated the same as if they arrived at Z gates without the need to walk a long distance to passport control or clear security if connecting to flights departing from A or Z gates.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:09 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:11 pm

UA at FRA

i've flown thru FRA more times than i can care for, but still can't remember if arriving from the US on UA you deplane via jetway directly into T1 or via bus. i have a 1h 05 min connection IAD-FRA-LIS on TAP which i know is on T1 too, but if i have to wait for the bus after arriving to take me to the terminal and customs/immig i'm not likely to make the connection. any ideas? TIA
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAD1k
i've flown thru FRA more times than i can care for, but still can't remember if arriving from the US on UA you deplane via jetway directly into T1 or via bus. ...
I have done both
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
IIRC, you usually have to get the bus but I usually end up flying LH to FRA. If that connection is on the same ticket, they should be sure you can make the connection but I've had United give me some sketchy ones (like getting from one end of terminal C to the very end of B on a 35 minute connection in Chicago).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
IIRC, you usually have to get the bus but I usually end up flying LH to FRA. If that connection is on the same ticket, they should be sure you can make the connection but I've had United give me some sketchy ones (like getting from one end of terminal C to the very end of B on a 35 minute connection in Chicago).
Better than their E/F gates over to C; that's a hike.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:30 am

I've always had the jet bridge with UA in FRA (guess I'm lucky). OTOH I got the remote gate/bus several times when arriving/departing on LH intra-Europe!

When I'm on UA, I'm usually on a flight that arrives very early in the morning in FRA (5-6 AM) and I often depart a few days later on the jet that did the early morning flight, so that may - or may not - be a reason for the jet bridges, as there are seemingly many free gates available before 6 AM (they fill up quickly though).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAD1k
i've flown thru FRA more times than i can care for, but still can't remember if arriving from the US on UA you deplane via jetway directly into T1 or via bus. i have a 1h 05 min connection IAD-FRA-LIS on TAP which i know is on T1 too, but if i have to wait for the bus after arriving to take me to the terminal and customs/immig i'm not likely to make the connection. any ideas? TIA
It's a mix between a physical Z gate and AEUW. Even if you take the bus, you should probably be fine to make that connection; FRA is very efficient.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Like WineCountryUA, I have done both. If your flight is on time, you can do this even if you get a bus. (But don't dawdle) If your flight is delayed, your flight is delayed no matter what kind of gate it has.

Any reason you don't like the direct IAD-LIS flight?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Any reason you don't like the direct IAD-LIS flight?
it wasn't available. i'm using miles to travel with the family, the only availability in J is UA thru FRA (the late flt arriving at noon). there are later flights FRA-LIS but the connection goes from 1 hr to 5! so worst case scenario i'm hoping we can be accommodated on one of the later flights or re-routed thru MUC or MAD. since we'll be landing at noon in FRA, from what everyone said in this thread, i'm guessing we're getting the bus, and be ready to sprint. thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
If you're in J, you'll get the first bus.

If there's a later flight in 4 hours, I would not expect a reroute unless the next flight is full. 4 hours sounds like a lot, but when you toss in boarding time and the time to rebook you, it's closer to 3. It's going to be hard to beat that with any reroute. And if they did, it will involve a tight connection at another airport.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Question Connection time in FRA

Hey all-

I'll be traveling with my mother on FCO-FRA-SFO soon. Haven't gone through FRA for a while so wanted to ask for your thoughts on what you recommend wrt connection times there these days.

Option 1 (Current booking)
LH 231 FCO-FRA, arriving 11:50am
-- 1h 00m connection--
UA 59 SFO-FRA, departing 12:50pm

Option 2
LH 243 FCO-FRA, arriving 9:20am
--- 3h 30m connection --
UA 59 FRA-SFO, departing 12:50pm

I think the first flight from Rome arrives into A gates and the UA flight departs from Z gates? Is 1 hour connection time going to be stressful? Not sure if we'll deplane a bus gate, and wondering if this is really cutting it too short given we have to walk/go through passport control. Should I switch to option 2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.