Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Seems like it was just yesterday we celebrated 10 million miles.Last week when I passed 16 million both the staff in Newark and Chcago went out of there way to celebrate the milestone. Classy. Great people. Just passed 400,000 PQM for the year. I am finding the service much more consistently good.
What a month! First a thank you to all the global service people that went out of there way to celebrate my 17 million miles with United. Japan, Australia, London, my United "phone family" Newark and especially the global first team in Chicago ..all close friends. Also a shout out to my flying friends and Flyertalk buddies . I am So lucky to have such fiends. Jonathan, your gift was unbelievable! Dave, you are the man. Being able to share the Chicago celebration with my wife was perfect. I am humbled to be able to call all of you friends. I am blessed. I will visit with my global service friends tonight at Tokyo and head back to Chicago as I cross 800,000 PQM for the year. Thanks again to all. Tom
Today is the day. hit 18M on a 9pm flight ORD-LHR. If you are in the Polaris Lounge tonight ,Ill buy you a drink....lol

April 16th, 2015 - 16 Million Miles

April 16th, 2016 - 17 Million Miles

April 25th, 2017 - 18 Million Miles

Tom, you are an absolute legend! At this pace, you'll be at 20MM in April of 2019!

I hope your flight tonight goes well! I also hope you landed seat 1K
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: None anymore
Today is the day. hit 18M on a 9pm flight ORD-LHR. If you are in the Polaris Lounge tonight ,Ill buy you a drink....lol
Congratulations!!!!!!!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Congrats!

Also, I used the contact button on your website a couple days ago (asking if you were looking for an apprentice) - I'm still trying to be an aspiring road warrior - not expecting anyone or anybody to actually look at it. I just got back from Finland today, and turned on my phone to have a voicemail... from you...

I feel like a teenage girl just got a call from her celebrity crush.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Congratulations Tom! ^

It has been almost 9 years since we got to know you from the "Team Competition"! Over the past 9 years, we have enjoyed reading your stories and admire your accomplishments.

I think it is worth noting that your milestones will likely to stand for at least a generation before anyone even comes to close to, not just your total, but pace and longivity in accomplishing the milestones. It seems you are still going strong and shows no signs of slowing down, perhasp I am underestimating the "One generation" remark.

Again, congratulations!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
On the way! Congrats Tom!!! ^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:46 pm

Huge congratulations, that's an amazing mark to hit. I hope to even hit 1mm one day

Quick question to anyone in this thread: is this 18m as tabulated by United? If that's the case, it only includes revenue flights, right? That would mean a very sizable redeemable mileage balance right? Sounds like a really fun retirement
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Wow! Once again, you are amazing. To be able to travel so much is taxing on the body. Take care of yourself.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Rumor has it that astronauts have issues keeping up with Tom.

Congrats.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Wow! Once again, you are amazing. To be able to travel so much is taxing on the body. Take care of yourself.
A lot of people do very well in professions and situations many of us would think very stressful. The best succeed without feeling the stress. It's more about the new adventure around the bend, and the little things that others let get in the way of happiness... the best know that happiness comes from the inside, how you view the world, and that cart isn't turned over by a missed upgrade or flight gone MX. Family is at the top.

(Or I could joke and suggest Tom would want us to know that true happiness comes from buying a nice new car every couple of years! )
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Congrats Tom from me and Mrs_NH from Grace Bay, PLS 👍
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
This is the best thread on this forum. Thanks for all the positiveness.

Congrats Tom. You are a legend. Hope I get to meet you one day!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS
Hey Tom,

I'm curious, how often do you get recognized while traveling? Either by UA staff or other frequent fliers? I'd imagine that you are quite the celebrity!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Hey Tom,

I'm curious, how often do you get recognized while traveling? Either by UA staff or other frequent fliers? I'd imagine that you are quite the celebrity!
I've had the good fortune to fly MEL-LAX with Tom and I can absolutely assure you that he was "recognized" (in all sorts of ways) on entry to the cabin, throughout the flight, and on arrival.

Lurker
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:03 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Arrow

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
April 16th, 2015 - 16 Million Miles

April 16th, 2016 - 17 Million Miles

April 25th, 2017 - 18 Million Miles

Tom, you are an absolute legend! At this pace, you'll be at 20MM in April of 2019!

I hope your flight tonight goes well! I also hope you landed seat 1K
To me it's the math, combined with the longevity that's remarkable.

The Math: 1M BIS miles is 2,740 miles a day (365 days/year). Longer than SFO to BOS, which is a 5+ hour flight.

The Longevity: It would take 6,570 days flying 2,740 miles (5+ hours a day), without a single day off to hit 18M miles. Run that slowly through your brain.

Talk about your Ever-ready Bunny. If you don't just love travel no-one, having achieved any level of success, would tolerate this sustained effort. Even flying First Class all the time wouldn't make it endurable over that stretch of time.

More flying trivia/data:

The highest time pilot in history is Ed Long (1915 to 1999) who accumulated 65,000 hours of flying time during his very long career. Tom's 6,570 days X 2,740 miles (assuming an average of 5.5 hours for that distance) = 36,135 hours. That's 55.6% of the flight time of the worlds highest time ever pilot, and flying isn't Tom's profession.

Mind you, I haven't included any non-UA BIS mileage. If you assume a conservative 10%, he sitting at roughly 40,000 hours 'up in the air'.

Conclusion: He must enjoy traveling.

My biggest question is what's he going to do when he retires, travel
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Just passed 1 million PQM on my way to Sydney. A quick stop here and then off to a private island in Fiji that a friend of mine owns for a couple days of R& R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.