Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Just passed 1 million PQM on my way to Sydney. A quick stop here and then off to a private island in Fiji that a friend of mine owns for a couple days of R& R.
Congratulations on your milestone, and safe travels.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Just passed 1 million PQM on my way to Sydney. A quick stop here and then off to a private island in Fiji that a friend of mine owns for a couple days of R& R.
Congrats ^ and as always, still in awe
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
To me it's the math, combined with the longevity that's remarkable.

The Math: 1M BIS miles is 2,740 miles a day (365 days/year). Longer than SFO to BOS, which is a 5+ hour flight.

The Longevity: It would take 6,570 days flying 2,740 miles (5+ hours a day), without a single day off to hit 18M miles. Run that slowly through your brain.

Talk about your Ever-ready Bunny. If you don't just love travel no-one, having achieved any level of success, would tolerate this sustained effort. Even flying First Class all the time wouldn't make it endurable over that stretch of time.

More flying trivia/data:

The highest time pilot in history is Ed Long (1915 to 1999) who accumulated 65,000 hours of flying time during his very long career. Tom's 6,570 days X 2,740 miles (assuming an average of 5.5 hours for that distance) = 36,135 hours. That's 55.6% of the flight time of the worlds highest time ever pilot, and flying isn't Tom's profession.

Mind you, I haven't included any non-UA BIS mileage. If you assume a conservative 10%, he sitting at roughly 40,000 hours 'up in the air'.

Conclusion: He must enjoy traveling.

My biggest question is what's he going to do when he retires, travel
Thank you everyone as always for the kind words, and John, when I retire, I will be doing some real serious travel!!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
18MM, what an amazing accomplishment, congrats!

Time for an FT pool on what date the 20MM mark will be crossed?
Old May 3, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
It's official. The 18 million mile flight will be Tuesday night on the 9pm flight ORD to LHR. The only downside is that I won't be able to celebrate this with my wife. (teaching back in NJ)
Congrats, Safe travels on the next Million !
Old May 31, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Just passing 1.3 million PQM on my way to Sydney tonight. For those of you passing through Chicago and coming through the Polaris lounge on Saturday June 24th, join my my wife and I to celebrate the 18 million mark. Drinks on me....lol! Darlene ends her school year of teaching and we begin our summer journeys together. Include are Japan , Hong Kong, Hawaii.Rome,Chicago,Rome, Venice, Brussels,Paris and Mexico. We still need to fill in the blanks with a few other countries. I hope to see some of you in the lounge that Saturday ,but I wish all of you a great summer regardless if its vacations or staycations. As I always say... My favorite place to go is home! Safe travels and miles of smiles!!!
Old May 31, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Just passing 1.3 million PQM on my way to Sydney tonight. For those of you passing through Chicago and coming through the Polaris lounge on Saturday June 24th, join my my wife and I to celebrate the 18 million mark. Drinks on me....lol! Darlene ends her school year of teaching and we begin our summer journeys together. Include are Japan , Hong Kong, Hawaii.Rome,Chicago,Rome, Venice, Brussels,Paris and Mexico. We still need to fill in the blanks with a few other countries. I hope to see some of you in the lounge that Saturday ,but I wish all of you a great summer regardless if its vacations or staycations. As I always say... My favorite place to go is home! Safe travels and miles of smiles!!!
Good on ya, Tom. Sorry won't catch you on the 24th. Have fun in MY hometown!
Old May 31, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Just passing 1.3 million PQM on my way to Sydney tonight.
mind boggling! if you're flying to SYD via LAX tonight, perhaps you could ask what UA's new international route out of LAX is. there was supposed to be an announcement by the "end of may." safe travels!
Old May 31, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You never cease to amaze me Tom. Thought you were going to start slowing down. At least a little.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
You never cease to amaze me Tom. Thought you were going to start slowing down. At least a little.
Thought I Was. Between being busy with work and trying to share the world with my wife and family.... it just happened. It might be my last million mile year, but a network wants me to do a show around the world next year. We'll see.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If you were in Paris on July 24th, I could show you a bike race... No Polaris lounge at CDG though!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
If you were in Paris on July 24th, I could show you a bike race... No Polaris lounge at CDG though!
I hope it's OK, but your post reminds me that I need to send you a PM (as I will be in Paris on July 24th ... well, actually that's the day we leave), and I do love me some professional bike racing!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I am amazed at your travel, and the fact you take the time to post here to keep us in the loop on your milestones.

Safe travels to you and your family, while enjoying life!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Make sure you take a walk to the Zocalo Cathedral in MEX and enjoy some of the fantastic street food snacks. I miss that.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Still in awe and congrats Tom! (and I hope you enjoyed "the substitute" )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.