Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

to the ua employees working on thanksgiving

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

to the ua employees working on thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ualp
Working TG, xmas eve & 25th, and NY eve and day.
That's with 20+ years of seniority!
Just the way it is in this biz.
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I heard that! 25 years seniority, and I'm flying from the 24th thru 27th, and Dec 22-27th. But I think my wife can get on a flight on Thursday so she can join me for Thanksgiving evening at the luxurious XXX airport hotel!

FAB

double

Does UA have any special meals for those of you working the various holidays, or is it the same food that you normally get?

Thanks for many great flights in 2011 ^ And thanks to all of the UAL & CO pilots that have contributed to FT.. I appreciate that you take time out of your long day to visit with us ^
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Does UA have any special meals for those of you working the various holidays, or is it the same food that you normally get?
"special meals"

That loud sound you hear is the collective roar of laughter with regards to that particular phrase.

"Special meals" were recently deleted from crew meal selections. It was a nice feature, that we've had for some time, that catered to folks with particular dietary restrictions, etc. We had Muslim, Hindu, Low fat, etc. options and we could change them around for a little variety. A very nice program. However, not a contractually negotiated benefit, so no real recourse when the company decided to discontinue the program.

We were told that we were to receive meals based on what was catered in first. But now the standard meals are nearly always the same for breakfast, and pasta or the sandwich are the lunch/dinner meals. Often the meal is incomplete from some of the items. Some flights have even been catered with the pasta for brkfst. Lucky them!

With regards to holiday flying. The primary domiciles might throw out some premade sandwiches, and sodas or hotdogs, along with chips and maybe a bowl of salsa. Basically, normal catering stores stuff. But any of the outstation/off-line places?? Most likely NADA! We're lucky if the folks even say a word to us when we pop in to ops.

Most of us just avail ourselves of "self help".
Not crying in my beer....As I mentioned in previous post, just the way it is around here, and particularly on holidays.
It's just work.
We all adjust and celebrate the holidays with family and friends on alternate days.

"Special Meals" ...... Good one!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If any of you are flying SFO-HKG on Thursday, be sure to stop by row 15 to say hi!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:36 am

double

Thanks for many great flights in 2011 ^ And thanks to all of the UAL & CO pilots that have contributed to FT.. I appreciate that you take time out of your long day to visit with us ^
What ualp said. Just the stuff from normal catering. But I'm pretty savvy about airport food. I know where the good stuff is, and if I don't, I just follow a hungry-looking airport or airline employee. They always know where to find the best deals and food.

I remember one Christmas the LAX Chief Pilot was in Flight Ops handing out pieces a real roasted turkey. Pretty good of him, considering he lived in Denver, and it was a holiday! most of us in Ops did a "flyby" on that turkey as we passed through.

Hey, you know the best way to get us to respond on FT: ask a question on the Pilot Q&A thread.

FAB
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Thanks in advance to the UA employees who will be safely flying me to be with family in CMH this Thanksgiving Day and Sunday. ^^^
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ualp
"special meals"

That loud sound you hear is the collective roar of laughter with regards to that particular phrase.

"Special meals" were recently deleted from crew meal selections. It was a nice feature, that we've had for some time, that catered to folks with particular dietary restrictions, etc. We had Muslim, Hindu, Low fat, etc. options and we could change them around for a little variety. A very nice program. However, not a contractually negotiated benefit, so no real recourse when the company decided to discontinue the program.

We were told that we were to receive meals based on what was catered in first. But now the standard meals are nearly always the same for breakfast, and pasta or the sandwich are the lunch/dinner meals. Often the meal is incomplete from some of the items. Some flights have even been catered with the pasta for brkfst. Lucky them!

With regards to holiday flying. The primary domiciles might throw out some premade sandwiches, and sodas or hotdogs, along with chips and maybe a bowl of salsa. Basically, normal catering stores stuff. But any of the outstation/off-line places?? Most likely NADA! We're lucky if the folks even say a word to us when we pop in to ops.

Most of us just avail ourselves of "self help".
Not crying in my beer....As I mentioned in previous post, just the way it is around here, and particularly on holidays.
It's just work.
We all adjust and celebrate the holidays with family and friends on alternate days.

"Special Meals" ...... Good one!
Originally Posted by freshairborne
What ualp said. Just the stuff from normal catering. But I'm pretty savvy about airport food. I know where the good stuff is, and if I don't, I just follow a hungry-looking airport or airline employee. They always know where to find the best deals and food.

I remember one Christmas the LAX Chief Pilot was in Flight Ops handing out pieces a real roasted turkey. Pretty good of him, considering he lived in Denver, and it was a holiday! most of us in Ops did a "flyby" on that turkey as we passed through.

Hey, you know the best way to get us to respond on FT: ask a question on the Pilot Q&A thread.

FAB
If you're around IAD tonight, stop by the Five Guys at the A gates.. Your dinner is on me.. I'm grabbing a burger and then boarding my A320 to RDU..

Happy Thanksgiving ^
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:26 pm

Thanks to those of you working hard as you ferry us ATL-DEN-OAK on Thursday.

As much as I dislike not having a meal service on the 8am 3:45 long ATL-DEN RJ leg, I'm glad that people are willing to work to make it happen.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K MM, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thank you to everyone who is working the Holiday this week and weekend. Movable Feasts might be "just the way it is", but still. I hope that the pax are reasonable and the wx too!

Normally I avoid travel this week, but business happens, so I'll be DEN -> IAD -> EZE on Saturday evening
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA1K
i'm flying home wednesday...but last year i flew on turkey day and xmas eve, and both times gave see's candy to the FA. they loved it.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haddon90
i'm flying home wednesday...but last year i flew on turkey day and xmas eve, and both times gave see's candy to the FA. they loved it.
Don't forget the people up-front
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
At ORD, they used to bring in turkeys, up until about 4 years ago, when the vendor shipped bad meat and we lost (not dead, just unable to work) an entire shift of workers due to illness that day. By the time they realized the root cause, the 2nd shift was not given the opportunity to be poisoned.

Since then (no word on it yet this year) they ahve been providing us a voucher to eat at the employee cafeteria. Not a ton of food (single serving, and real long lines) but it is good and appreciated.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:36 pm

If you're around IAD tonight, stop by the Five Guys at the A gates.. Your dinner is on me.. I'm grabbing a burger and then boarding my A320 to RDU..

Happy Thanksgiving ^
A generous offer indeed! I'm off til Thursday Morning though, but thank you for the thought.

FAB
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA1K
Don't forget the people up-front
haha my bad! not sure if i will have see's this time around.

i'm doing SNA-IAH-PHL on wed and IAD-LAX on sat if anyone is around.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Thanks to the UA employees working on Thanksgiving day! I will be flying MEL-LAX-DEN on Thursday, so I am particularly grateful to the employees away from home during this holiday.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by goalie
Now if any of you might be working UA231 (SFO-BOS [red-eye]) on 11/24 or UA235 (BOS-SFO) on 11/27*,
I'll be working SFO gates Thursday night. May or may not be assigned 231.

Thanks for flying United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.