Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:47 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In one sense it is only a matter of timing, surely? We don't normally mandate self isolation for flu, RSV or other respiratory disease, accepting that COVID-19 is more generally more lethal. Having said that the various statutory instruments that regularly get mentioned in this thread are enabled by some primary legislation enacted in 1984, the Public Health (Control of diseases) Act. So there remains some general provisions to mandate certain courses of quarantine restrictions, though they generally require a magistrate to sign them off for the individual concened. It's hardly ever been used in the original form.

Right now it's essential people self isolate and past experience is that if you move too quickly from statutory controls to guidance then at least some of the public won't get the point of it. So it's not on the cards now. Larger companies and educational institutions will want their staff to follow guidance fairly strictly, amd we really should be keeping away from unnecessary contacts if we have flu, RSV, that's probably a good learning point for all of us. But while it's too soon to do it now, I do see it as part of how we unwind ourselves from the pandemic.
Thanks for the response CWS. It is definitely going to be an interesting few months ahead!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-Monday.html

I hope so!
and yes the plf is bureaucracy on steroids
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-Monday.html

I hope so!
and yes the plf is bureaucracy on steroids
Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 76,807 (81,713 last Saturday)
Deaths 297 (287)
People vaccinated up to and including 21 January 2022:
First dose: 52,203,675
Second dose: 48,115,948
Booster: 36,821,284

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 22.2% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is up 2.4%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 269.7 today. Scotland and Wales having a break from reporting cases today. Still, the cases for England at 73,331 are the lowest since 19th December.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is a somewhat fraught area. NHS staff would be different, but generally speaking people cannot have 2 PCRs within 90 days, and therefore not have their tests double sequenced within that time frame. There are a number of reasons for this but the starting point is that generally speaking we don't think people can get COVID twice in 90 days, plus the risk of dead viral particles from an old infection,, so we aren't going to be using resources to test for it. So yes I have heard that some PCRs are showing two Omicron infections for the same person, these would come from the small section of the community that would have access to PCRs within 90 days, notably NHS staff and travellers. Up to now we would say "it's the same infection", whereas I suspect the people concerned would say "oh no it's not, it's a second infection". It's one of those times where there isn't a neat easy answer I can give at this point. Hopefully we will know more when, um, we know more.
Family members who had covid late December, so omicron assumed, are now thinking of delaying their boosters until 10 weeks past infection. Main justification is they are unlikely to catch omicron again so soon and they want to stretch out the protection the booster vaccine will give them. Any reason this isn’t a good idea?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 22.2% on the previous week...
This figure hides some significant differences between the UK nations.

Cases in England are down by 19%, in Wales down 52% and in Scotland down 55%. Cases in Northern Ireland are up by 18%.

The 7-day case rate per 100,000 population is now 485 in Wales, 550 in Scotland, 971 in England and 1284 in NI.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Family members who had covid late December, so omicron assumed, are now thinking of delaying their boosters until 10 weeks past infection. Main justification is they are unlikely to catch omicron again so soon and they want to stretch out the protection the booster vaccine will give them. Any reason this isn’t a good idea?
Depends on their appetite for risk I suppose.

An assumption of omicron and an assumption (unconfirmed as set out above) of protection if it was omicron against a known protection from the booster from a certain date.

I would run with the racing certainty!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
So the minimum time is 28 days, or 91 days for children, after infection but before a booster or any other dose for that matter. Boosters, specifically, should be 3 months after second dose otherwise. Clearly a direct conversation with the individual and a clinician is best here, but here's a general answer. I wouldn't want to try to second guess the rollout of other doses, dose 4 and beyond in other words. But all being well this looks like something for next autumn, maybe a new vaccine too. If someone decides to set their own timetable there is a risk that they will be out of kilter from the bulk of the adult population so any travel restrictions (etc) may look at the 80% situation rather than the 20% from which 8% of the total are unvaccinated. So I think that's the main problem. The benefit of delaying has to weighed against the future evolution of the epidemic, which is unknown at this point. If it was me, not that I've ever had COVID-19, I don't think I'd rush on day 28 to get the booster, but equally because vaccinations are better than direct infections I don't think I would leave it too long either, maybe 6 weeks. I don't think there is a strong reason to go early or go late, however.
adrianlondon, bluemoon68 and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I thought this an interesting graphic for London, given that the vaccine rates are not as high as people would like:

https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/c...vid-19--deaths
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The Moderna CEO said an Omicron specific vaccine will be ready fall 2023 at the earliest... But Pfizer said in March 2022?...

Last edited by nk15; Jan 22, 2022 at 6:02 pm
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
Depends on their appetite for risk I suppose.

An assumption of omicron and an assumption (unconfirmed as set out above) of protection if it was omicron against a known protection from the booster from a certain date.

I would run with the racing certainty!
Third week in December in London, leads to over 98% chance it was omicron. The problem is, if you have the booster soon, when you already have naturally acquired immunity, the booster doesn’t add much and itself is less effective after a few months. Delaying it could give you protection for longer overall eg 2 months from natural infection plus a few months from the vaccine.

So the minimum time is 28 days, or 91 days for children, after infection but before a booster or any other dose for that matter. Boosters, specifically, should be 3 months after second dose otherwise. Clearly a direct conversation with the individual and a clinician is best here, but here's a general answer. I wouldn't want to try to second guess the rollout of other doses, dose 4 and beyond in other words. But all being well this looks like something for next autumn, maybe a new vaccine too. If someone decides to set their own timetable there is a risk that they will be out of kilter from the bulk of the adult population so any travel restrictions (etc) may look at the 80% situation rather than the 20% from which 8% of the total are unvaccinated. So I think that's the main problem. The benefit of delaying has to weighed against the future evolution of the epidemic, which is unknown at this point. If it was me, not that I've ever had COVID-19, I don't think I'd rush on day 28 to get the booster, but equally because vaccinations are better than direct infections I don't think I would leave it too long either, maybe 6 weeks. I don't think there is a strong reason to go early or go late, however.
Thank you for your helpful post. They are late 20s/ early 30s, so would be unlikely to receive a 4th before Autumn. It was looking at travel plans that first made them think a delay could be a good move.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
The Moderna CEO said an Omicron specific vaccine will be ready fall 2023 at the earliest... But Pfizer said in March 2022?...
Why would it take so long when the original one was so quick?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 74,799 (75,031 last Sunday)
Deaths 75 (91)
People vaccinated up to and including 22 January 2022:
First dose: 52,223,105
Second dose: 48,158,421
Booster: 36,890,079

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 15.4% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is up 1.9%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 267.4 today. There is no cases data again from Scotland today.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Why would it take so long when the original one was so quick?
I think there are several factors at work here, not the least of which is money and the uncertainty of how much immunity is (a) needed from Omicron and (b) provided by having had Omicron. If a decent amount of protection is provided by (a) the current vaccines and/or (b) having had Omicron, then the market need for such a vaccine is already reducing drastically when compared to the initial market for the first Covid vaccines. And the first one wasn't THAT quick... it was quick in terms of vaccines, but it had been under development for a while, so if you compare that with March 2022 for Pfizer then that's somewhat comparable, even though they have a head-start, as it were. Not sure why Moderna would be so much longer.

rb211.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RB211
I think there are several factors at work here, not the least of which is money and the uncertainty of how much immunity is (a) needed from Omicron and (b) provided by having had Omicron. If a decent amount of protection is provided by (a) the current vaccines and/or (b) having had Omicron, then the market need for such a vaccine is already reducing drastically when compared to the initial market for the first Covid vaccines. And the first one wasn't THAT quick... it was quick in terms of vaccines, but it had been under development for a while, so if you compare that with March 2022 for Pfizer then that's somewhat comparable, even though they have a head-start, as it were. Not sure why Moderna would be so much longer.

rb211.
The science based podcasts I have been listening to seem to infer that whilst the manufacturers were looking to do an update to the vaccine based on specific variants previously, what seems to be more under discussion recently would be a general vaccine update that wouldn't be specific to variants but can 'train' the vaccine to create immunity that can look for a broader signature of the virus and the ways mutations could and are likely to develop over time. I think I understood this might make the focus of the detection move away from the spike protein as this is likely to change with each mutation but I might have misunderstood that point. And I'm not a virologist!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.