Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I would hope for similar news of all the US/Europe developed vaccines since they all ultimately stimulate the same sort of immune response?
Old May 10, 2021, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Well this was an unfortunate text 3.5 weeks after my first Pfizer dose. Israel's serological testing at the border would not be happy...

NHS COVID-19 NotificationBirth Date - Your blood test did not detect coronavirus (COVID-19) antibodies. It is a "negative" result.
Not sure how this is possible or how to take this result tbh.

Is this normal? Common? Should I be worried? I know I didn't take too hep b but I thought with hep b that's normal but that's now two vaccines I appear to not have taken to.

Edit:

Found this...
But it turned out that her father had taken the wrong type of test—one designed to look for antibodies that recognize a protein called nucleocapsid, which is found in the coronavirus but not in the Moderna vaccine. (Moderna’s shots instead trigger the production of antibodies against another coronavirus protein, called spike; I’d bet that my friend’s father is chock-full of these antibodies.)
Wonder how the NHS antibody tests work...

Last edited by Dan1113; May 10, 2021 at 11:44 am
Old May 10, 2021, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Wonder how the NHS antibody tests work...
The standard NHS antibody test isn't good on the newly vaccinated. There are two tests available, and from a public health point of view both have value (e.g. if you now get a positive result or catch COVID-19 despite the vaccine). But useless from a personal perspective, writes someone who has been antibody tested weekly for nearly a year now. There is an antibody test looking for S proteins / spike protein, and that's the one you need and usually your NHS provider will switch tests if you tell them you've been vaccinated. After your second dose you get a clearer picture on S spike anyway, but you need to wait 16 days after that dose. A negative result can still happen and yet the real world evidence shows you would be protected by the vaccine. Indeed Pfizer can provoke T cell immunity in just a few days so bypassing B cells very quickly.

I advise vaccinated people not to get them because the results are not meaningful. Israel's approach is not sensible either, and will presumably be dropped in due course.
adrianlondon, squawk and DaveS like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
Daily data:
Cases 2,357 (1,649 last Monday)
Deaths 4 (1)
Patients on ventilator 159 (185 on the 30th)
People vaccinated up to and including 9 May 2021:
First dose: 35,472,295
Second dose: 17,856,550

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 3.1% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 33.3%. The jump in cases in today's data means the rolling average heads the wrong way. The only hospital data updated so far for patients on ventilation was last this low on 19th September.
Although the increase in cases is obviously not what we want (especially in terms of keeping absolute numbers of patients down to prevent the emergence of variants), I think it's important to focus on the vaccines as helping to preserve the continuing downward trend in deaths/serious illnesses (or more specifically, prevent it rising again).

With the former, we're now down to such small numbers that I suspect reading too much into it isn't very helpful even on a 7 day rolling basis - a 'bad' few days would drag the numbers the wrong direction. But even focusing on the latter, we are still seeing week on week declines. This is good news, and every additional day that passes means more people being vaccinated.

I think it has been corporate-wage-slave who has said several times now that while it's hard to vaccinate yourself out of a wave, widespread vaccination should help to prevent another significant wave - especially a wave of serious illnesses and deaths and one that would threaten healthcare provision.

I'm still, as some people are saying here in Germany, 'staying positive and testing negative'
Old May 10, 2021, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The standard NHS antibody test isn't good on the newly vaccinated. There are two tests available, and from a public health point of view both have value (e.g. if you now get a positive result or catch COVID-19 despite the vaccine). But useless from a personal perspective, writes someone who has been antibody tested weekly for nearly a year now. There is an antibody test looking for S proteins / spike protein, and that's the one you need and usually your NHS provider will switch tests if you tell them you've been vaccinated. After your second dose you get a clearer picture on S spike anyway, but you need to wait 16 days after that dose. A negative result can still happen and yet the real world evidence shows you would be protected by the vaccine. Indeed Pfizer can provoke T cell immunity in just a few days so bypassing B cells very quickly.

I advise vaccinated people not to get them because the results are not meaningful. Israel's approach is not sensible either, and will presumably be dropped in due course.
Thanks. This test is actually from January when I turned the box of not having had a vaccine so maybe that made a difference! It makes me more nervous about booking a trip to Israel where who knows what happens if you land there and get a result like this though.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by squawk
Although the increase in cases is obviously not what we want (especially in terms of keeping absolute numbers of patients down to prevent the emergence of variants), I think it's important to focus on the vaccines as helping to preserve the continuing downward trend in deaths/serious illnesses (or more specifically, prevent it rising again).

With the former, we're now down to such small numbers that I suspect reading too much into it isn't very helpful even on a 7 day rolling basis - a 'bad' few days would drag the numbers the wrong direction. But even focusing on the latter, we are still seeing week on week declines. This is good news, and every additional day that passes means more people being vaccinated.

I think it has been corporate-wage-slave who has said several times now that while it's hard to vaccinate yourself out of a wave, widespread vaccination should help to prevent another significant wave - especially a wave of serious illnesses and deaths and one that would threaten healthcare provision.

I'm still, as some people are saying here in Germany, 'staying positive and testing negative'
Yes, agreed on all of this. It has been good to watch the daily figures tumble in the data over the last month or two, but that will not happen for ever. The value of this data is decreasing by the day along with the figures and before too long it will not be worth following it.

One thing that I did not mention in yesterdays data and it was quite a significant day. England, Northern Ireland and Scotland recorded zero deaths. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have been doing that regularly, but for England it is the first time since 30th July.
Silver Fox and squawk like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:33 am
Original Poster

The Indian variant appears to be quickly gaining foothold with big increases, both in actual numbers and percentages, in London and in other cities of England in particular.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:02 am

This morning, Matt Hancock said this about the Indian variant, seemingly being less concerned about it than the SA variant:

Originally Posted by Matt Hancock
“We have some degree of confidence that the vaccine works effectively against the so-called Indian variant, and then against the South African variant we are a little bit more worried, but we don’t have full data on those yet."
I think at macro level, everything appears to be on track and the numbers are very good. At micro level, there are some potential concerns (e.g. Bolton with 160 cases per 100k in last 7 days, and the potential increased spread of the Indian variant, albeit with small numbers) - but if I was in charge I don't think it would change the overall direction and plan.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Novavax delays vaccine approval plans to third quarterNikou Asgari Novavax has pushed back its timeline and will apply for authorisation of its vaccine in the UK, US and Europe in the third quarter of the year as the company struggles to quickly collate the data required for submission. “It’s just a long process,” Stanley Erck, chief executive of Novavax, told the Financial Times. “Our guidance had been that we’d get the project done by the second quarter and I’m now saying … we can’t get it all done by the end of June so it’s going to slip into the third quarter unfortunately.” His comments came as the biotech reported first-quarter revenues of $447m, surpassing analysts’ expectations of $234m and surging beyond the $3m worth of sales that it booked in the same period last year. The US and UK are not reliant on the Novavax jab for immunising their populations because orders from other authorised drugmakers have been met. But if authorised, the protein-based vaccine would boost the global supply of jabs and benefit developing countries, especially because the jab can be easily stored in a refrigerator. Novavax’s two-dose vaccine has proved 96 per cent efficacy against the original strain of coronavirus and 86 per cent efficacy against the variant first detected in the UK. “It’s the volume of work,” Erck said about the delay, adding that the company has gone from a staff of 150 to 900 over the past year. “I must have 100 consultants that are working on it.” Novavax’s UK clinical trial data are complete but it is working on collecting manufacturing data that would show the drugmaker can safely and repeatedly make the same vaccine doses. Its US clinical trial is expected to finish in the second quarter of the year. The Maryland-based company made a net loss of $223m in the three months to March. Analysts had expected a net loss of $256m. Erck said the biotech has struggled with a shortage of raw materials including bags, filters and cell culture media. He said it was “painful” that one Novavax plant did not operate for three weeks because of a shortage of materials, which has now been resolved. If all its plants are operating at full capacity, Novavax should be able to make 150m doses every month, he added. Novavax’s share price has rocketed nearly 4,000 per cent since the start of 2020. Its shares rose 3 per cent in after-market trading on Monday after closing 9 per cent lower.
[mode edit to add] Source: Financial Times - https://www.ft.com/content/95a28a60-...9-99cf1e0af767

Last edited by stut; May 11, 2021 at 6:02 am Reason: Adding source to summary
Old May 11, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Scotland fm briefing at 1215

Hi,

The Scottish fm will give a briefing at 1215 today re the next steps in the lockdown easing here in scotland and the new overseas travel guidelines.

Will post an update on announcements after lunch

Regards

Tbs
HB7, JustTheOne and DaveS like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57070970

Most of Scotland moving to Level 2 from Monday.
Islands moving to Level 1
Moray remaining at Level 3 ( inc travel to/from Moray not recommended)

International travel to follow traffic light system ( as per England) ( although she recommeds caution)
Indoor gatherings to be allowed ( with hugs)
Alcohol can be served indoors in bars and restaurants until 2230
Indoor group exercises allowed
Cinemas bingo halls and amusement arcades to re open

Indoor concerts can resume ( may be limited capacity)

Regards

TBS
HB7 and DaveS like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Is the Moray travel restriction legal (like the last few months) or recommended/suggested (like Aberdeen back in Aug and central belt pre-early Nov)?
Old May 11, 2021, 7:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is the Moray travel restriction legal (like the last few months) or recommended/suggested (like Aberdeen back in Aug and central belt pre-early Nov)?
Yes, but with some recent amendments.

Those in level 3 areas must not leave or remain away from that area, but can leave the area to travel to another part of that same Level 3 area, or can leave or remain away from the area for the purpose of entering or remaining in a place in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man. So I assume this is supposed to mean you can't leave a level 3 area to go to somewhere else in Scotland, but are fine to leave if going to somewhere else outside Scotland but in the UK.

Similar provisions for those entering, so people who don't live in a Level 3 area must not enter or remain in that area, but can enter and remain in the Level3 area if coming from a place in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man.

I have to say this is rather ridiculous.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, but with some recent amendments.

Those in level 3 areas must not leave or remain away from that area, but can leave the area to travel to another part of that same Level 3 area, or can leave or remain away from the area for the purpose of entering or remaining in a place in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man. So I assume this is supposed to mean you can't leave a level 3 area to go to somewhere else in Scotland, but are fine to leave if going to somewhere else outside Scotland but in the UK.

Similar provisions for those entering, so people who don't live in a Level 3 area must not enter or remain in that area, but can enter and remain in the Level3 area if coming from a place in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man.

I have to say this is rather ridiculous.
Gosh. Is this actually in the SSI? What about going abroad under the colour system, can residents of Moray not access that?
Old May 11, 2021, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Gosh. Is this actually in the SSI? What about going abroad under the colour system, can residents of Moray not access that?
Yes it is in the SSI, and based on that I am not sure how anyone living in Moray can leaving the area to travel abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.