FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Local lockdowns in the UK
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2021, 2:22 pm
squawk

Originally Posted by DaveS
Daily data:
Cases 2,357 (1,649 last Monday)
Deaths 4 (1)
Patients on ventilator 159 (185 on the 30th)
People vaccinated up to and including 9 May 2021:
First dose: 35,472,295
Second dose: 17,856,550

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 3.1% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 33.3%. The jump in cases in today's data means the rolling average heads the wrong way. The only hospital data updated so far for patients on ventilation was last this low on 19th September.
Although the increase in cases is obviously not what we want (especially in terms of keeping absolute numbers of patients down to prevent the emergence of variants), I think it's important to focus on the vaccines as helping to preserve the continuing downward trend in deaths/serious illnesses (or more specifically, prevent it rising again).

With the former, we're now down to such small numbers that I suspect reading too much into it isn't very helpful even on a 7 day rolling basis - a 'bad' few days would drag the numbers the wrong direction. But even focusing on the latter, we are still seeing week on week declines. This is good news, and every additional day that passes means more people being vaccinated.

I think it has been corporate-wage-slave who has said several times now that while it's hard to vaccinate yourself out of a wave, widespread vaccination should help to prevent another significant wave - especially a wave of serious illnesses and deaths and one that would threaten healthcare provision.

I'm still, as some people are saying here in Germany, 'staying positive and testing negative'