FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Local lockdowns in the UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2025295-local-lockdowns-uk.html)

itisme Apr 12, 2021 3:12 am

Not completely on-topic but there isnt another topic covering this.
The rules in UK state: hotels are open for work-related travel and some government-approved exceptions to support the stay-at-home guidance BUT what's the reality? Will the hotel check why you are staying? Has someone been asked? If booking on a personal account/creditcard do you get asked? Or are they just happy for the revenue and is it a 'don't ask don't tell' policy at the moment? SO many are open from a quick search surely they can't be all full with work-related travel only.

Thx!

cauchy Apr 12, 2021 3:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33171064)
Just to illustrate this, if you are testing 100 people who are positive, there is an assumption that 99% of PCRs will come back positive. With LFD the figures vary somewhat by studies, but at worst it's 50%, at best it's 75% come back positive. If people do repeated tests and get good at doing the tests you probably do get to around 70%. It gets to 95% if that cohort is clearly symptomatic, which is the main basis of asking for a PCR. But missing half of positive cases as well as not tracking variants of concern is just a step too far at the moment, when you add in a domestic context where some of the more stringent lockdown rules are being relaxed in England and Wales.

The slightly more complicated aspect to this is we tend to assume PCRs are 100% accurate and therefore base LFD accuracy alongside this. We have found a very small number of cases which were positive on LFD, negative on first PCR and positive on a second PCR, so it's probably 97-99% accuracy for PCR.

Just to further complicate this, there is a little bit of evidence that asymptomatic cases are rising as a proportion of cases (which are otherwise falling in total number in the UK). The often quoted 30% seems now too low, it may even be as high as 50%.

Isn't the selling point of the Lateral Flow tests that they're good at detecting people who're clearly infectious, and opposed to merely infected (and mildly or not infectious)? For example, https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-01-21...ld-allow-safer :

effective at detecting up to 90% of the infections that the individuals then passed on to their contacts
Also, in terms of genetic sequencing, I thought this only happens if the Ct value of the PCR test is below 30? We might expect the lateral flows to miss out more of what would be high Ct value cases, but these were never going to be sequenced anyway. The lateral flows ought to be better at what would be lower Ct values. And of course if a lateral flow is positive a PCR can be run and sequencing if appropriate. So how many samples do we miss out on?

KARFA Apr 12, 2021 3:16 am

Originally Posted by itisme (Post 33171163)
The rules in UK state: hotels are open for work-related travel and some government-approved exceptions to support the stay-at-home guidance BUT what's the reality? Will the hotel check why you are staying? Has someone been asked? If booking on a personal account/creditcard do you get asked? Or are they just happy for the revenue and is it a 'don't ask don't tell' policy at the moment? SO many are open from a quick search surely they can't be all full with work-related travel only.

Thx!

Yes they will ask, but exactly what they ask for does vary. Some will ask to see evidence like a letter from an employer whislt others will just ask you to complete a short form saying simply the reason for your stay and that it is within the rules.

ahmetdouas Apr 12, 2021 3:17 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33171126)
OK, I think that's jumbling a lot of things together. But firstly the twice vaccinated hikers of the Hornstrandir are sufficiently small as a demographic that very little policy is being made with them in mind. The demographics that worry us most are friends and family travellers, who probably constitute the main group travelling now. It's very difficult to stop, when you consider births, deaths and marriages. It's interesting to note this group has acquired a higher priority than leisure travellers, out of sympathy, but ruthless public health policies would permit lying on a beach, prohibit going to funerals. That isn't going to happen, but these people are mixing more intimately than the other extreme, road hauliers, who have just about the most solitary profession going. Britain is nothing like 100% self sufficient in medicines, food, oil products, pet food, vaccines, you name it. Hauliers as a working group are in short supply across Europe, and middle sized haulage companies will simply choose to work elsewhere on the mainland if you make things too difficult to travel to the UK.

Pragmatically you therefore let things slide with some groups until something better arrives. The big deliveries of LFDs happended in March, so again pragmatically they - and cabin crew - can now get ready access to LFDs, and indeed judging from this thread, these LFDs have now been rapidly distributed to the wider community, which is great to hear. This is a very different situation compared to say 6 months ago when even members of the National Security Council were denied access to tests. In the ideal world you would do something like LAMP testing at every port worldwide for all inbound travel, but in the absence of that LFDs will probably do, so long as when people get back we can PCR and genome sequence travellers. Hauliers and cabin crew will get PCR tests, again pragmatically, at least if they have a positive test they can then be PCR'd. There is a separate PCR system for hauliers already in place at TruckStops, so it's not quite as black/white as you portray.

That's a good policy btw if it happens. LFD test after arrival, only if positive then PCR instead of blanket everyone PCR

corporate-wage-slave Apr 12, 2021 3:32 am

Originally Posted by cauchy (Post 33171166)
Isn't the selling point of the Lateral Flow tests that they're good at detecting people who're clearly infectious, and opposed to merely infected (and mildly or not infectious)? For example, https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-01-21...ld-allow-safer :

Also, in terms of genetic sequencing, I thought this only happens if the Ct value of the PCR test is below 30? We might expect the lateral flows to miss out more of what would be high Ct value cases, but these were never going to be sequenced anyway. The lateral flows ought to be better at what would be lower Ct values. And of course if a lateral flow is positive a PCR can be run and sequencing if appropriate. So how many samples do we miss out on?

Yes, to the first paragraph. Those who are both asymptomatic and low viral load are probably going to end up negative in LFDs, also not get PCRs anyway, but this pandemic wouldn't have happened on this scale if they were the only ones around. So LFDs are good for that. Amazingly 40% plus of UK residents cannot name unguided the 3 main symptoms of COVID-19, so LFDs will pick out those with faulty memories. I think the 70% figure, compared to 98% for PCR is a good fudge figure overall - that's sensitivity, both are over 99% for specificity..

For genome sequencing there are now 3 channels - unusual Ct results (somewhat random admittedly), 40% of positive PCRs and also all positives from Day2 testing. So Day2 tests are in a specific stream of testing. which is why the NHST&T system isn't good for Green travellers, their results would currently go into the general mix and only have a 40% chance of sequencing. The one disadvantage of the arrangements for cabin crew and hauliers is at the moment if they get a positive LFD, they go for a PCR, and genome sequence may also not happen systematically if they are positive. There again hauliers and cabin crew may have been to multiple places so having B1.351 wouldn't prove much. It's probably better to assume for them that LFD+ then PCR+ means very strict self isolation in all cases. Probably achieveable with cabin crew, very difficult with hauliers. We've had some really terrible events with rotting food already, and the lawyers are moving in.

Dan1113 Apr 12, 2021 3:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33171064)
Just to illustrate this, if you are testing 100 people who are positive, there is an assumption that 99% of PCRs will come back positive. With LFD the figures vary somewhat by studies, but at worst it's 50%, at best it's 75% come back positive. If people do repeated tests and get good at doing the tests you probably do get to around 70%. It gets to 95% if that cohort is clearly symptomatic, which is the main basis of asking for a PCR. But missing half of positive cases as well as not tracking variants of concern is just a step too far at the moment, when you add in a domestic context where some of the more stringent lockdown rules are being relaxed in England and Wales.

The slightly more complicated aspect to this is we tend to assume PCRs are 100% accurate and therefore base LFD accuracy alongside this. We have found a very small number of cases which were positive on LFD, negative on first PCR and positive on a second PCR, so it's probably 97-99% accuracy for PCR.

Just to further complicate this, there is a little bit of evidence that asymptomatic cases are rising as a proportion of cases (which are otherwise falling in total number in the UK). The often quoted 30% seems now too low, it may even be as high as 50%.

could it be that they are rising more because so many people are doing tests now at home on a regular basis, meaning they're catching it before they become symptomatic - so more pre symptomatic rather than asymptomatic?

Schwann Apr 12, 2021 3:49 am

If the government wants everyone to be tested for variants after arrival, would it not be advisable to keep those tests within the remit of the existing NHS Test & Trace infrastructure? No idea what the cost to the NHS is for processing and sequencing a PCR test kit, but I would rather pay cost or to profit to the NHS T&T budget than paying £100 to Beautiful Brows or whichever company has decided to cream off profits from suddenly becoming a test provider.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 12, 2021 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113 (Post 33171194)
could it be that they are rising more because so many people are doing tests now at home on a regular basis, meaning they're catching it before they become symptomatic - so more pre symptomatic rather than asymptomatic?

Yes, that's probably part of it, but the virus - and the virus' victims - have changed behaviour over the course of the last year. We know, for example, that B.1.1.7 is slightly backloaded in terms of symptoms timeline compared to vanilla Covid. Plus there is still a lot we don't know about the virus, even now.

Gagravarr Apr 12, 2021 3:53 am

Originally Posted by itisme (Post 33171163)

Virtually every hotel will ask why you are staying at checkin, either verbally or by giving you a form to complete. If you say you're there for work, they will normally ask you for something from your employer on headed paper confirming a hotel stay is required on those dates. If you're a repeat guest they may not (a few places have said "shall we just re-use the letter from last time?"), turning up in a suit in a business area about 6.30pm you may also not be asked for the work letter, though most hotels will want one. I've only done work stays this lockdown so I don't know about other reasons, but some hotels with forms have listed the documents they'd accept for other reasons. Best contact the hotel to check what (if anything) they'll want if you're going to use a different allowed reason.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 12, 2021 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 33171197)
If the government wants everyone to be tested for variants after arrival, would it not be advisable to keep those tests within the remit of the existing NHS Test & Trace infrastructure? No idea what the cost to the NHS is for processing and sequencing a PCR test kit, but I would rather pay cost or to profit to the NHS T&T budget than paying £100 to Beautiful Brows or whichever company has decided to cream off profits from suddenly becoming a test provider.

Personally I think there is a huge case for test, test and test again, now we are at long last in the position to do this. The WHO was saying this back in May 2020, incidentally. The weak aspect to this is encouraging proper self isolation, though strangely there are very few studies which show whether or not people who ought to be self isolating, formally, are actually spreading the disease to others to the same or different extent than the general population. The painful reality is that it's incredibly difficult, outside of somewhere like a care home, to work out where exactly someone got their infection.

So yes, I would just not discourage anyone from getting a test, whether PCR, LAMP (etc), or LFD. The political problem is that many people struggle with the idea that NHS resources should facilitate people going to the Seychelles. Personally I don't care, a test is a test, the real problem are the folks that won't / don't test. I remember one discussion where a civil servant suggest that "hardworking NHS staff" returning from a respite holiday overseas and about to go back to the front line really ought to be tested under NHST&T, and a junior minister readily accepting this opinion. Which is crazy - you're trying to stop a virus, not trying to do value judgements on the holiness of people's occupation. Very difficult to persuade people about this.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 12, 2021 4:11 am

And that is not for Wales as of today (plus travel from England to Wales is now OK), the restrictions are lifted for accommodation with self contained bathrooms. England allows leisure stays from 17 May.

chimichanga Apr 12, 2021 4:18 am

corporate-wage-slave On Reddit, I've been reading that supply of 1st dose vaccines will plummet from currently around 100k per day to close to zero from next week. Is that also what you are seeing in your data? I believe they advise you on the expected deliveries a few weeks in advance, right?

Dan1113 Apr 12, 2021 4:27 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 33171199)
Yes, that's probably part of it, but the virus - and the virus' victims - have changed behaviour over the course of the last year. We know, for example, that B.1.1.7 is slightly backloaded in terms of symptoms timeline compared to vanilla Covid. Plus there is still a lot we don't know about the virus, even now.

On that basis I am surprised the isolation time remains 10 days.

paulaf Apr 12, 2021 4:34 am

Originally Posted by chimichanga (Post 33171228)
corporate-wage-slave On Reddit, I've been reading that supply of 1st dose vaccines will plummet from currently around 100k per day to close to zero from next week. Is that also what you are seeing in your data? I believe they advise you on the expected deliveries a few weeks in advance, right?

Whereas DM reporting this:

Covid UK: People in their 40s will be invited for jabs from tomorrow https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ticle-masthead

corporate-wage-slave Apr 12, 2021 4:44 am

Originally Posted by paulaf (Post 33171249)
Whereas DM reporting this:

Covid UK: People in their 40s will be invited for jabs from tomorrow https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ticle-masthead

That's a true story by the way, but in fact 40 year olds have been open to vaccinations for a while, either overtly or discreetly. There was a bit of a slowdown over Easter, but I'm working as much later this week as I did in those crazy end March weeks. Still a lot of second vaccines. I had my first over 16 week vaccine on Saturday, someone who had their first jab before Christmas and only showed up for their second at the weekend. Anyone getting close to 12 weeks should be ringing their GP.