Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
I understand that our E+ vouchers have similarly been extended by 6 months. Did anyone get any news if we will receive possibly 1 or 2 additional vouchers in the 18 month period? Not a major concern, I am simply curious for future trip planning purposes.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
I understand that our E+ vouchers have similarly been extended by 6 months. Did anyone get any news if we will receive possibly 1 or 2 additional vouchers in the 18 month period? Not a major concern, I am simply curious for future trip planning purposes.
As far as it stands, no additional vouchers.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
His original expiry date was 30 September 2021. Now it should be 31 March 2022. He could requalify with 25k miles until 31 March 2021.

If he is able to requalify, the next requalification period would be 24 months ( 12+12 ) rather than the current ( 18+12 ) one. The +6 month extension on the current requalification period is one-time only.
Thanks! So if he makes it before March 31, 2021, then his new membership period will be from March 31, 2021 to March 31, 2023?

We have already qualified before (we made it by Feb 26), does it mean our qualification period also shifted by 6 months? Our's are March 31 before the mess.

TIA!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks! So if he makes it before March 31, 2021, then his new membership period will be from March 31, 2021 to March 31, 2023?

We have already qualified before (we made it by Feb 26), does it mean our qualification period also shifted by 6 months? Our's are March 31 before the mess.

TIA!
If he re-qualifies until 31 March 2021, he would still have a blank 2nd year until 31 March 2022 which would be another year of Elite status, but status miles won't affect his next re-qualification but only qualification for Elite Plus.

After this second year, his status would be extended until 31 March 2024. ( 2022 + 2 = 2024 )

Re-qualifying ( fulfilling the requirements ) before 31 March 2020 or not does not change the 6-month extension on the current re-qualification period and on the expiry date of your current status.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If he re-qualifies until 31 March 2021, he would still have a blank 2nd year until 31 March 2022 which would be another year of Elite status, but status miles won't affect his next re-qualification but only qualification for Elite Plus.

After this second year, his status would be extended until 31 March 2024. ( 2022 + 2 = 2024 )

Re-qualifying ( fulfilling the requirements ) before 31 March 2020 or not does not change the 6-month extension on the current re-qualification period and on the expiry date of your current status.
Thanks - this is great for us so we all have the same expiration date (easier to plan to get the miles).
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'd messaged M&S to ask for my vanished status miles, and got a reply confirming their resurrection. The mail also set out my new key dates - I'm surprised they haven't done this for all members. It would help those finding the current 6-month nudge a difficult concept.

Switching to a fixed, universal renewal date, preferably end of the year, like Lufthansa, would make things easier for administrators and members. With a universal renewal date, TK could then simply throw buckets of status miles into accounts as a boost to renewal, avoiding this confusion - and avoiding the lost miles fiasco.

But much as I'd prefer a universal term, I hope desperately TK's IT team will not be asked to attempt the switch. Just imagine the chaos that could cause
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The really big hole here is.... E+ members who have already requalified, who had used their E+ certificates and are waiting for new ones to post in the spring or summer to immediately use them, after their new year rolls over....... Now they will not be receiving these seemingly for another 6 months, and will be unable to use them! So in fact many of TK's best customers, that have actually qualified already will be penalized! The worst thing is that I can easily imagine that this scenario has not occurred to the TK people, and I can only imagine the dozens of emails and other messages to TK to try and make them understand and do something about it!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
The really big hole here is.... E+ members who have already requalified, who had used their E+ certificates and are waiting for new ones to post in the spring or summer to immediately use them, after their new year rolls over....... Now they will not be receiving these seemingly for another 6 months, and will be unable to use them! So in fact many of TK's best customers, that have actually qualified already will be penalized! The worst thing is that I can easily imagine that this scenario has not occurred to the TK people, and I can only imagine the dozens of emails and other messages to TK to try and make them understand and do something about it!
... to extend a metaphor: the unintended consequences of adding an extra floor to a house of cards.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Why does waiting another 6 months mean that E+ members cannot use them???

I'm exactly the situation you describe, but I'm far more likely to use my next batch of E+ vouchers in the December 2020 - November 2021 window than I was for a June 2020- May 2021 window...
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well Craig, that is you, and in an ideal world, half will be effected, and half will not (as its 6 months which is half a year and all). What I am saying is that an E+ member whose year resets Mar-Sept may have already used his/her certs, and regularly use them in the summer Jun-Sept, lets say. Now this persons date has shifted Sept-Dec, and they will not be getting their new certs until AFTER this new date, so would be unable to use them Jun-Sept.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well Craig, that is you, and in an ideal world, half will be effected, and half will not (as its 6 months which is half a year and all). What I am saying is that an E+ member whose year resets Mar-Sept may have already used his/her certs, and regularly use them in the summer Jun-Sept, lets say. Now this persons date has shifted Sept-Dec, and they will not be getting their new certs until AFTER this new date, so would be unable to use them Jun-Sept.
They would in June-Sept 2021 or 2022 or whenever you are referring to. All E+s will get 12 months to use their next batch of upgrades. And those with upgrades yet to be used will get 18 months for existing ones. I really don't follow your complaint at all, but if it's so truly awful for you, ask TK to remove your free 6 month extension.
vincewy likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Craig, it is really really simple, I do not understand why you either do not understand or pretend not to. If a hypothetical E+ member renews lets say, June 31st, and traditionally uses his E+ certificates in August let's say. This member currently has none in his account. He would normally be receiving a new set July 1st (or 7th or whatever) so that he could again use them in August..............Now he will NOT receive them until Dec 31, which means that he will not have a set of certs to use in August. Rather than having your spurious reaction, one might suggest that TK do exactly what BA is doing which is to issue the upgrade certs as normal and EXTEND those certificates 6 months. That would be the proper way to do it, that way those passengers who are effected will not be. For those of us who knock out our E+ qualification in the first 4-5 months of the first year, and whose status renews this year, all this effectively means is a 6 month extension at some point in the future, nice, but not ground shattering.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Craig, it is really really simple, I do not understand why you either do not understand or pretend not to. If a hypothetical E+ member renews lets say, June 31st, and traditionally uses his E+ certificates in August let's say. This member currently has none in his account. He would normally be receiving a new set July 1st (or 7th or whatever) so that he could again use them in August..............Now he will NOT receive them until Dec 31, which means that he will not have a set of certs to use in August. Rather than having your spurious reaction, one might suggest that TK do exactly what BA is doing which is to issue the upgrade certs as normal and EXTEND those certificates 6 months. That would be the proper way to do it, that way those passengers who are effected will not be. For those of us who knock out our E+ qualification in the first 4-5 months of the first year, and whose status renews this year, all this effectively means is a 6 month extension at some point in the future, nice, but not ground shattering.
Getting the certs in December would be more advantageous for someone who wishes to use them in the summer. If, for example, you receive you certs in June 2020, the likelihood of J being available for upgrade in the 8 week summer window immediately after the certs are issued can be low; however, if you receive your certs in December 2020, there is a far greater likelihood of J being available the following summer (2021). You could even use your certs for travel in summer 2022 as the certs only have to be redeemed (not necessarily flown) before expiry. I have done this many times, the only caveat is if you change your mind about the trip you risk losing an expired cert.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we all know how difficult TK makes it to upgrade on many routes in the summer season, it is well documented, yet I have managed to do it pretty much every summer......so it is possible.....The issue is that people have their patterns, 1) bar this Covid thing going on and on, someone with the pattern that I stated will in fact lose out, and 2, if things are getting back to normal, I have a sneaking suspicion that upgrade availability will NOT be an issue this summer. So again, TK's best plan of action would be to issue the certs as normal and extend the validity to 18 months, again, just like BA has done.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Logging onto to the TK app, I notice that nowhere is it mentioned when my Elite status expires.
The digital card: only has my name printed status and TK number but no expiry date.
My miles: only shows how many miles will expire on 31-12-2020 (0 miles)
My profile: has the usual personal info and preferences.
Is there any way to see how long my elite status is valid for on the app ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.